Hy-Vee

Hy-Vee Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker

Randy Edeker

Pros
  • There are essentially flexible hours but that is the only benefit for part-time workers(in 32 reviews)

• I will be looking for better employment as part time will not cut it(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Part timers made to work as hard as full time workers(in 21 reviews)

• Hire too many part time employees so the employees do not provide "goodwill" to the company(in 21 reviews)

Great job for beginners in the workforce

Checker/Stocker (Former Employee) Spirit Lake, IA

ProsFlexible hours
    Diverse co-workers
    Lots of areas to learn
    Opportunities to grow or move up
    Brought me out of my shell and gave me people skills

ConsLONG hours
    Minimum wage, but what do you expect as a high-school or college P/T worker? It's fair.
    Immaturity in the culture
    Sometimes management is twitchy about bizarre, petty things

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize when you have morally disgusting issues going on in your store and get rid of those causing issues.
    Don't give a leadership position to a 17 year old who can't even legally run the garbage compactor...common sense, people.
    However, management tends to be very good listeners, so keep that open door. It's nice to know that an honest opinion would never be frowned upon, even if it's a harsh. It is always considered constructive, so thank you for that.

Great company

Produce Clerk (Former Employee) Dubuque, IA

ProsFlexible work hours, hard work recognized.

ConsNone that come to mind.

Great place to work but many Dietitians are underpaid compared to industry standards

Registered Dietitian (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsDecent benefits, can be flexible

ConsLow pay compared to industry standards, culture varies depending on store manager too much!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I feel I am making about what I should be making, I know that there are many other RD's that are making well below industry standard. Step up to the plate and reward these folks what they deserve or they might not stick around.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

helpful smile in every aisle

Meat Manager (Current Employee) Moline, IL

Prosfriendliness of employees and that's it

Conscompany is going down hill in upper management

Advice to Senior Managementbe more caring about your employees

Think Twice.

Deli Clerk (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsIf you get into a department where everyone meshes than it can be fun. Decant hours but could be better.

ConsNo room for growth no matter what people say. In my opinion to get full time from a part time position you have to suck up to management and to customers or be middle aged. Poor communication skills in upper management, doesn't care for its hard working employees who runs a department, often hires incompetent people who have no people skills, cares to much about customers than they so there own people. Often lets people stay who are terrible at there job and don't do anything and treat the great employs like crap.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off high horse and help out instead of complaining, don't just walk around on your phones and pretend to do something and get your hands dirty. Pay better

Great job for people in school, but not to live off of.

Cashier (Current Employee) Coralville, IA

ProsFun employees
    Lots of time off due to less hours.
    Flexible hours.
    Fun scavenger hunt on your first day.
    Cheap employee meal.

ConsThey are very stingy with hours for part-timers. My first week I was given around 30 hours working 5 days. Now I'm lucky if I can get 3 days. I told them that I wanted 30-35 hours a week and they agreed. I was deceived.
    No employee discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the part-time workers the desired 30-35 hours instead of 12 hours a week...
    Don't make the part-timers do so much work.
    Fix the belts for the cashiers and courtesy.

Hyvee

Seafood and Meat Service Clerk (Current Employee)

Prosconsistent hours, nice people, develop good customer service skills

ConsIt takes a long time to advance high enough to make decent money.
    You will have to deal with difficult customers every day

Terrible HR

ProsEasy job depending on area, most part fun Co workers, pay could be better, employee meal program

ConsHR and upper management are full of them selves, rude and doesn't care about the hard working employees. Be ready to be extremely fake toward customers and suck up to the self righteous management team to get a promotion from part time to full time

Advice to Senior ManagementGive full time positions to part timers who deserve it, communicate with each other and the departments

Great place to work

Salad Bar Clerk, Cashier (Current Employee)

Prosnormally those who work at hyvee are kind and everyone will help you if you ask. they are easy on high school and college students who need to have time off, only work summers, forget to ask for a weekend off, etc. its a great place to work.

Consnot really any. sometimes they will try to slip by without giving you a raise but you just have to talk to the HR manager at your store.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your cashiers/courtesy employees. you cant just throw them up there, because thats how you make customers angry. kids who dont know how to bag groceries or speak politely to other humans. I am 20 and have worked at hyvee since 14 so I know what its like to not have those skills and not know why you are getting yelled at by a customer. I learned the hard way to treat customers right, but it would be easier for everyone if you just gave them some training. after all, most customers tell me that they only shop at hyvee instead of walmart because of our amazing customer service. so lets keep it that way :)

I've shopped and worked for Hy-Vee since I was 16; this company really cares! Feels like I gained a family.

Pharmacy Technician/Previously: Courtesy, Cashier, Salad Bar (Current Employee)

ProsWorking for Hy-Vee is like gaining an additional family. My coworkers truly care about me and my store director and department manager have gone above and beyond to help relocate me to a new city. Before I could even work I shopped at Hy-Vee, and I must say I love the environment! Always upbeat and friendly. I have received steady pay raises throughout my time with this company.

ConsI struggle to get the time off I need in the pharmacy department, but this is not the case if you work up front. As a courtesy clerk or cashier, it can be hard to maintain a steady paycheck. There are so many employees that a part-timer may struggle to work enough hours each week.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to empathize with various departments and department employees. Be sure to slow down when making big decisions, because upper management is often over-worked and over-stressed.

Worked for Hy-Vee? Contribute to the Community!