Hy-Vee

Hy-Vee Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker

Randy Edeker

Pros
  • There are essentially flexible hours but that is the only benefit for part-time workers(in 32 reviews)

• I will be looking for better employment as part time will not cut it(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Part timers made to work as hard as full time workers(in 21 reviews)

• Hire too many part time employees so the employees do not provide "goodwill" to the company(in 21 reviews)

Nice experience

Dairy Clerk (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsVery flexible and a great way to enter the working world. If you show your dedication and willingness to work it is rewarded with opportunities for advancement. Ideal for students or as a second job, with a fairly stress-free and friendly working environment.

ConsMy only downside was the irregular schedule, but that is pretty typical of most part-time jobs and in my experience it was very easy to communicate times that I would be unavailable and management was very accommodating. Had it been a full-time, regular position, I'd have no complaints whatsoever!

I had little training and worked alone the majority of the time. It was fine as a first job. Relatively easy.

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsFor my first-time job, I made more than minimum wage and got decent hours.

ConsI had little training and worked alone the majority of the time. Managers and co-workers took advantage of my ignorance, but I dealt with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't throw a brand new employee who has never held a job before into a closing shift after two days of training. I did my best, but it took months before I closed the bakery on time.

Its a job

Prosit is not very difficuly

Consit sometimes gets very repetitive

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hy-vee

Grocery (Current Employee) Quincy, IL

ProsFriendly customers that look for you to help with their needs, the best co-workers.

ConsThis use to be a great place to work, but with new upper Management this store is not the friendly place it use to be, we are short staffed, and with no over timed allowed it is very hard to give our customers the service they were use to also no pay raises for some in as long as 3 years. Management as become a joke, I would not recommend this store to anyone, while other Hy-Vee stores are great to work for, this store is falling fast. Corporate management is no better, they allow this to continue to let this happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at whole picture people with years of serve start leaving, there is a reason for that, listen to your employee's, they will not speak or do a survey for fear of losing their job. I know letters have been sent, follow up. Randy Edeker it's time to fix the Quincy IL store.

Good place to work just not well managed at times

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

Prosvery flexible with hours, good starter job, fun environment, Training is mediocre.
    raise every year, but very little respect for employees.

Consmicro managed, upper management doesnt have much of an idea of what goes on. Lack of respect for employees. Very few/NO advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior Managementoffer more competitive wages, care about your employees, this is not a career, its simply supplemental payment.

Very Family based comapany

Assistant Manager Store Operations (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsGood pay, good benifits, great atmosphere

ConsNot to many cons ata ll

Decent college job

Meat Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsBusy. It's usually not hard to get hours, especially during the summer.
    Generally pretty accommodating for college students (see cons).
    Everyone is very friendly, its company policy. This makes for a good work environment.

ConsBusy. I'm taking 18 credit hours this semester and asked for around ~16 hours a week. I've gotten around 20 hours consistently, I worked 30 last week and will work 27 next week. Finals are coming up, and I'm afraid this will negatively impact my school performance.
    Schedules are posted sometimes three weeks in advance, which can make it difficult to take off time (but its not usually a problem).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more considerate of your college age employees. Their school needs to come first, and if they ask for fewer hours you should attempt to accommodate as best you can.

Working in the meat department - great associates plus focus on customer service.

Customer Associate (Current Employee) Topeka, KS

ProsAddressing the customer and getting them the correct product and letting them know that they are appreciated.

ConsNone they are on the right tract

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate to current tech. and continue to focus on your customers.

I had a great experience.

Produce Clerk (Former Employee) Iowa City, IA

ProsGreat leadership and treat employees very well. They also gave very fair compensation for the expected work. They offered very flexible hours.

ConsI often did the same thing every day. I didn't have to think very much, which I dont like. Had to deal with some customers who were very difficult and sometimes insulting.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat work! Keep doing what your doing. Great company.

Good first job

Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee)

ProsGood place for first job.

ConsLow pay for long shifts.

Worked for Hy-Vee? Contribute to the Community!