Hy-Vee

Updated November 21, 2014
3.6

Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker
Randy Edeker

Pros
  • Flexible hours when you get into a dept that has hours to give (in 38 reviews)

• They do have some pretty decent health benefits as well as long as you are not part time (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, MANY part time positions but much less full time positions (in 27 reviews)

• Hire too many part time employees so the employees do not provide "goodwill" to the company (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Really Great Place To Work, But

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-positive & happy work environment / everyday that I go to work, everyone is in a good mood and that bounces off to the customers which makes for a great day. Our new store director makes it a point to greet you first, which makes others comfortable to say hello to everyone, it's all a bounce effect starting from the top! Everyone has their own personalities to bring to the table, so be aware some employees may not be happy people to begin with.

-caters to school & family schedules / I started as a student and was able to get some hours around my schedule. I've noticed at my store many upper management and full time employees can work their schedule so they can be at appointments and family events.

-great benefits / health insurance, vision, dental, 401k, life, short & long term are just some of the great things I have because of HyVee. In Illinois I carry with Blue Cross. Full time, regular and part can get bonus checks. The amount pends on your pay and how much you work. Hyvee throws a company party, at my location we close the store down and go bowling! Once a month, there is a week that you have one shopping day count towards a Christmas fund. It's 10% of one shopping trip that accumulates over the year. Other stores just get 10% off any purchases.

-opportunities for advancement / in my personal journey I started in 2011 and am now a regular time employee. I've been in many departments, did one round of HyVee university, have had 4 raises, learned how to make a schedule, been in charge of a small department, been trusted with important tasks. In most positions at least in the retail locations, you do not need college experience. The more experience you have with the company the better your chances are at getting the position you're after. BUT each situation and employee is different, so never be afraid to put your name in for a position, even if you don't think you can land it.

-other employment options / HyVee has many subsidiaries, so options are many. If you find that retail is not for you, you can choose to go a different route. We have a construction company, a bank, a few distributions choices, truck driving, corporate.

-growing fast / I don't see in my lifetime HyVee not existing, it's nice to know I chose a lasting company for my career.

Cons

-only located in the Midwest / there are 8 states to choose for work.

-management not trained throughly / as stated previously, if you put your years in and work hard you can get promoted to management. The issue I've experienced with this is that we have managers that know how to work their department but not handle customer and employee relationship very well. This would be one of the few reasons I have a bad day.

-not many women in management / there is a photo of the company officers in our break room, more than half of the group is men. Just look at the top 5 officers of HyVee, only one is a woman When I stand at customer service and consider our customers, one word really comes to mind, mothers. There are the majority of the customers I help, and they are the ones making the buying decision.
    It is my personal experience that I feel women are held back at HyVee. Not all stores are run the same, and each store director has the ability to set the tone of their store. At my store we have one women in upper management. Five women that are managers of. One woman assistant manager. I have been at the store for three years. I am a hard worker with amazing organizational skills. I have the ability to think ahead of time of any problems that may arise and how to handle them. I had applied to be an assistant manager twice. The first time, the position went to guy who had been at the store less than a year. The second time it went to a guy who had been at the store less than eight months. The first time I was not given an opportunity to interview. The second time I interviewed I was given regular time at customer service. I had been very disappointed that I was never considered to be an assistant, also it should be noted both times I never received feedback or what I could work on to be considered. I talked to the manager of store operations and asked why I was not considered, only to be told it was not a good fit. I responded by stating I had done the same duties at my last retail job, only to be responded with the fact he didn't know that about me. It made me sad to figure he didn't even think to look at my application that is kept on file. Two more assistant managers were hired, both times I didn't even bother to apply because word was going around that they were already picked to be assistants. Both those assistants are men.

When promoting management, make it a point to teach them how to handle and behave with coworkers. Teach them to be leaders. Teach them to encourage employees to be the best they can be. Teach them to handle unfortunate situations positively. Most importantly, teach them to treat coworkers the same way they treat customers.

Hire more women management for your stores! Did you know that at our location there isn't a trash in the handicap stall that customers use? There is a baby changing station in that stall but not a trashcan.

It should be noted that I have worked at one HyVee location and shopped with two.

Fun place to work. Good benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Hy-Vee

Pros

The pay was decent, managers were nice.

Cons

Not much room for advancement.

Great company

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with great people. Serving great customers. Very flexible. Great compensation. Great benefits package. Management tough but fair. Executives are top notch.

Cons

Retail hours can be tough for work-life balance. Can have long days. Vans don't have cruise control. Backroom doesn't hold a lot.

Keep up the good work

Highly recommended internship for aspiring Dietitians.

Former Employee - Dietetics
    Former Employee - Dietetics

I worked at Hy-Vee as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with. The Dietitian did an amazing job at balancing what I could do and what I could shadow her on. She didn't give me more than I could handle but challenged me. It not only helped develop my knowledge in dietetics, but also improved my customer service and people skills tremendously. The Store Director and Dietitian offered career opportunities once my internship has finished, so great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

40 hours per week un-paid internship.

I didn't receive the same customer service training as all other employers. That would have helped to know the company's values and rules.

Great first job, love it!!!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Nice People, Great Customers

Cons

Sometimes you don't get many hours

Keep the store in good shape like you have been!

Great employer if you keep your mouth shut

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Consistent hours, fairly friendly staff, especially my direct managers, specifically my manager in the bakery who I would work for again at any place besides Hy-Vee in a heartbeat. Good for part-time work during high school or college.

Cons

Avoid as a long -term career option if you want to be respected as an employee.
    I am severely claustrophobic and was working the salad bar in the back room after being told it would only be a few weeks until I was working as produce stocker on the floor. That never happened. When I tried to transfer out, they put up a fuss but eventually allowed me to work in the bakery as a closer because, due to my medical issue, I needed to be out in an area where I could at least see windows. I tried to get a position in the in-store coffee shop, directly next to the door and in my skill set, when they were looking for applicants, because I had quite a bit of experience as a barista but they said I needed to be there for 6 months to show my commitment. This was after both the HR manager and the manager of the coffee shop agreed I should get the job because of experience and my willingness to work opening 5 or 6 days a week. The perishables manager told me I wasn't showing enough effort when I put in extra hours, offered to take shifts in other departments, and continually asked for areas I could improve myself in.

When an employee comes to you saying they want to continue working for your company but need to be placed in a different department because of medical issues, listen to them. And don't promise them a new position and pull the rug out the next day. The perishables manager at the store I worked at was more concerned with sleeping with female employees than working with employees that wanted to advance.

Nice company for a Student

I worked at Hy-Vee

Pros

Good job for kids in high school and going to college.

Cons

If you are not a kid, this is not a place to work. They over look adults for many positions, they would rather promote a 20 year old kid with NO management experience into a position that requires the ability to motivate and inspire kids as well as high school educated adults. They wonder why they have a big turn over rate in there part time workers.

Central Pay Cashier

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Altoona, IA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Altoona, IA

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its an easy company to work with when you need time off for school.

Cons

Sometimes management needs a push in the right direction to get things done.

Great Company - Expect some long days, holidays and weekends.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The autonomy of the company makes it hard to imagine working for another retailer.
    When you get into management it really is as though you are running your own business.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult with long hours, holidays, and weekends. Opportunities are there but do requrie a great deal of patience and sometimes becomes unclear if you are on the right path to success within the company.

Would like to see improvement in feedback/reviews.

Very good to work for

Former Employee - Italian Clerk in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Italian Clerk in Coralville, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than an year)

Pros

very good work life balance, could get most any hours that you want, co workers are great and easy to get along with

Cons

will get busy around thanksgiving and Christmas, can be hard to get full time and full time only pays $12 an hour

none management is very good

Hy-Vee Photos