Hy-Vee

Updated December 18, 2014
3.6

Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker
Randy Edeker

Pros
  • Flexible hours when you get into a dept that has hours to give (in 39 reviews)

• They do have some pretty decent health benefits as well as long as you are not part time (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, MANY part time positions but much less full time positions (in 27 reviews)

• They wonder why they have a big turn over rate in there part time workers (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Former Employee - Average Employee in Estherville, IA
    Former Employee - Average Employee in Estherville, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Somewhat relaxed environment, might change from store to store.

Cons

Dealing with childish people, typical of a job with younger workers.

Pay more attention to cameras and less to word of mouth.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Department Manager in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee

Pros

I was given every opportunity to succeed and did.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lot of gossip

Cashier

Former Employee - Customer Service in Mason City, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Mason City, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly place. Helpful managers always looking out for you. Fun place to work with a great environment and wonderful coworkers.

Cons

Not much to complain about from my experience. As a matter of fact I can't think of any cons.

N/a

Hy-Vee review

I worked at Hy-Vee

Pros

You are trained adequately to do your job and it's not to stressful. Great benefits and the peer staff is awesome to work with.

Cons

You do the same thing every day so it gets very old very quick. Its hard to make a lot of money you less you work there forever.

Pay more attention to staff needs and incentives to get rid of the high turn over rate. Also chill out and realize it's a job not life's end all be all.

Good over all work with your schedules of other things.

Current Employee - Checker in Ankeny, IA
    Current Employee - Checker in Ankeny, IA

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cross training in other departments if you want to.

Cons

No paid vacation for part time

Give part time paid vacation

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Dairy Clerk in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Dairy Clerk in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a great atmosphere that you are able to work in. This is a great first job, or job to work at through high school or college.

Cons

The pay is not great, it is what you would expect for a first time job though. The work also can get very repetitive, overall though there were no great downfalls to the job.

Got me through college.

I worked at Hy-Vee

Pros

Great company to work for going through college.

Cons

Little requirements to work for the company. No drug screens.

Why I left

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They will give you plenty of hours to work if you give them your availability. Occasionally, workers are allowed to leave early if the store is not busy.

Cons

If you tell them you are free to work at a certain time, they will not hesitate to ask you (sometimes force you) to work during that time even if it causes you to work more than the amount of hours you said you could handle a week. This was a struggle for me because I was a student at the same time and didn't have enough time to be working as much as they were scheduling me. They are one of the few companies to still manually post work hours rather than put it online--which would be much more efficient.

If I say that the maximum I can work is 15 hours a week, but my availability has 20 open hours, I should only be scheduled for 15 hours because I have other responsibilities, such as school, to take care of during that time.

It is hit and miss.

Current Employee - Coffee Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Coffee Shop Manager

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your first year as a full-time employee you receive two weeks paid vacation. There's awesome benefits, including the 401k. There's a lot of room for growth within the company.

Cons

There isn't much of a work-life balance, it is pretty much work. Policies change a lot, and you're never sure which is the right one. Stores can get cliquey and hard to make any progress. Not really great at adapting to state policies.

Really Great Place To Work, But

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-positive & happy work environment / everyday that I go to work, everyone is in a good mood and that bounces off to the customers which makes for a great day. Our new store director makes it a point to greet you first, which makes others comfortable to say hello to everyone, it's all a bounce effect starting from the top! Everyone has their own personalities to bring to the table, so be aware some employees may not be happy people to begin with.

-caters to school & family schedules / I started as a student and was able to get some hours around my schedule. I've noticed at my store many upper management and full time employees can work their schedule so they can be at appointments and family events.

-great benefits / health insurance, vision, dental, 401k, life, short & long term are just some of the great things I have because of HyVee. In Illinois I carry with Blue Cross. Full time, regular and part can get bonus checks. The amount pends on your pay and how much you work. Hyvee throws a company party, at my location we close the store down and go bowling! Once a month, there is a week that you have one shopping day count towards a Christmas fund. It's 10% of one shopping trip that accumulates over the year. Other stores just get 10% off any purchases.

-opportunities for advancement / in my personal journey I started in 2011 and am now a regular time employee. I've been in many departments, did one round of HyVee university, have had 4 raises, learned how to make a schedule, been in charge of a small department, been trusted with important tasks. In most positions at least in the retail locations, you do not need college experience. The more experience you have with the company the better your chances are at getting the position you're after. BUT each situation and employee is different, so never be afraid to put your name in for a position, even if you don't think you can land it.

-other employment options / HyVee has many subsidiaries, so options are many. If you find that retail is not for you, you can choose to go a different route. We have a construction company, a bank, a few distributions choices, truck driving, corporate.

-growing fast / I don't see in my lifetime HyVee not existing, it's nice to know I chose a lasting company for my career.

Cons

-only located in the Midwest / there are 8 states to choose for work.

-management not trained throughly / as stated previously, if you put your years in and work hard you can get promoted to management. The issue I've experienced with this is that we have managers that know how to work their department but not handle customer and employee relationship very well. This would be one of the few reasons I have a bad day.

-not many women in management / there is a photo of the company officers in our break room, more than half of the group is men. Just look at the top 5 officers of HyVee, only one is a woman When I stand at customer service and consider our customers, one word really comes to mind, mothers. There are the majority of the customers I help, and they are the ones making the buying decision.
    It is my personal experience that I feel women are held back at HyVee. Not all stores are run the same, and each store director has the ability to set the tone of their store. At my store we have one women in upper management. Five women that are managers of. One woman assistant manager. I have been at the store for three years. I am a hard worker with amazing organizational skills. I have the ability to think ahead of time of any problems that may arise and how to handle them. I had applied to be an assistant manager twice. The first time, the position went to guy who had been at the store less than a year. The second time it went to a guy who had been at the store less than eight months. The first time I was not given an opportunity to interview. The second time I interviewed I was given regular time at customer service. I had been very disappointed that I was never considered to be an assistant, also it should be noted both times I never received feedback or what I could work on to be considered. I talked to the manager of store operations and asked why I was not considered, only to be told it was not a good fit. I responded by stating I had done the same duties at my last retail job, only to be responded with the fact he didn't know that about me. It made me sad to figure he didn't even think to look at my application that is kept on file. Two more assistant managers were hired, both times I didn't even bother to apply because word was going around that they were already picked to be assistants. Both those assistants are men.

When promoting management, make it a point to teach them how to handle and behave with coworkers. Teach them to be leaders. Teach them to encourage employees to be the best they can be. Teach them to handle unfortunate situations positively. Most importantly, teach them to treat coworkers the same way they treat customers.

Hire more women management for your stores! Did you know that at our location there isn't a trash in the handicap stall that customers use? There is a baby changing station in that stall but not a trashcan.

It should be noted that I have worked at one HyVee location and shopped with two.

Hy-Vee Photos