Hy-Vee

Hy-Vee Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker

Randy Edeker

Pros
  • There are essentially flexible hours but that is the only benefit for part-time workers(in 32 reviews)

• I will be looking for better employment as part time will not cut it(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Part timers made to work as hard as full time workers(in 21 reviews)

• Hire too many part time employees so the employees do not provide "goodwill" to the company(in 21 reviews)

Hy-vee omaha #10

Floral Clerk (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

Prosco-workers and manager are amazing.
    very flexible
    a lot of fun
    the job itself is enjoyable
    quarterly bonus

Conscan be stressful during holidays
    work a lot during busy seasons

Great Company to work for!

Floral Manager (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsGreat place to advance and grow. Very strong company with a great rep.

ConsStores are antonymous so continuity can be a problem.

Everyone is very nice and great to work with

Salad Bar Clerk (Current Employee) Davenport, IA

Prosnice place to work, great people and the care about their employees

Conshard to get a full time position

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not for me

Cashier (Former Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsThe employees were nice and understanding

ConsManagement was not the nicest

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement didnt want to work with employees on time off

They were there when I needed them, made it possible to raise my family and hopefully retire in a few years.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, MN

ProsThey are a good company to work for. Let's you put your family first when you need to. They are good to me, I shouldn't complain, but I do.

ConsMany times I'm asked to do more than I can handle without being overly stressed out. And then asked why isn't this or that done. Many times have gone home and begged to let me quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so afraid to have the help when you need it. I Know you are aware when you don't have enough help but you just put pressure on your employees because its all about the almighty dollar.

Hy-Vee

Management (Current Employee)

ProsIf you work hard, you will be recognized and will advance. I've always considered the pay fair for what I'm doing. My boss is very open to scheduling around my availability, and works with requests off so I can have a life outside of work.

ConsYou have to get the right set of upper management. I've worked at several Hy-Vees now, and the management makes all the difference in the world to how well the job works out. Benefits are a bit expensive, but who's aren't these days?

Great company to work for.

Checker and Wine and Spirits Clerk (Current Employee) Keokuk, IA

ProsActive in the community, flexible hours, many opportunities to try different jobs, raises every six months, company has great values.

ConsHard to get on full time, can be competitive to try and get hours, not much really wrong with the company, just a stereotypical entry level job

Great part-time job with room to advance

Cashier (Former Employee) Lees Summit, MO

ProsEspecially when working on the front end (Cashiering, sacking), it is very, very flexible with your schedule. Whether you want only 10-15 hours a week or 25-30, work is available to anyone who merely is customer service-oriented and friendly. When I worked there, I found friends in many of my peers at the store, and as of today my best friends are still people I worked with there. With a college degree, there is room for advancement if the individual has a strong work ethic and focuses on satisfying the customers.

ConsWith any retail job, hours may be very early or very late, and with a lot of the company's money being made on the weekend, that requires the employee to not have weekends off very much, if at all. The lower levels of the store do not pay very much, so until you get into the higher levels of management, you will probably need another job to generate income.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the store I worked at, I feel that management did a very good job of both taking care of the customer as well as rewarding those employees who worked their tails off for them. I feel that store is a model for how a business should be run, and thus have no advice for them.

Worked for the time-being.

Dairy Clerk (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThe community involvement is pretty great. Being a more local company, Hy-Vee is definitely more involved in their surrounding community.

ConsThe upper management never really had their "stuff together". The store never really did that great, and it showed in lazy management.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct more like an "employee-owned" work place. Show a little more consideration for your employees who are your true work force.

Thankless Job

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI had great co-workers who were supportive and fun. I also enjoyed training and working with young employees. I feel that I helped them get experience that will help them in future careers.

ConsMy particular supervisor was unprofessional and crossed the line to harassment when I told him I was pregnant. He pulled me away from my post to yell at me for sitting down the previous evening, when business was slow. When I tried to defend myself, reminding him that I was pregnant, he told me I had no business sitting down because I didn't have a doctor's note.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is important to keep a balance of work and fun in the workplace or people will get burnt out and quit. Profits are important, but they aren't the only measure of success.

Worked for Hy-Vee? Contribute to the Community!