Hy-Vee Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.5

Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker
Randy Edeker

Pros
  • There are essentially flexible hours but that is the only benefit for part-time workers (in 32 reviews)

• I will be looking for better employment as part time will not cut it (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • micro managed, upper management doesnt have much of an idea of what goes on (in 22 reviews)

• Part timers made to work as hard as full time workers (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, I've had a mediocre experience at Hy-Vee with a mid to low salary and a somewhat friendly staff.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time for more than a year

Pros

The jobs are easy and straight-forward. Some of the staff is friendly.

Cons

Pay is low, pending on your position. Some of the staff is hard to work with.

Raise the pay for part-time workers.

As a 16 year old high school student, Hy-Vee gave me an a job that, although the wages weren't as high, I came to love.

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Mankato, MN

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredible customer support and quality of workplace
    Flexible Hours
    Down to earth management
    Raises for skilled workers
    Flexible Pay

Cons

No benefits / 401k / overtime
    No room to expand

Create more motivation for employees to stay and move up the ladder

Perfect part-time job for a student.

Current Employee - General Merchandise  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - General Merchandise in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexibility, culture, atmosphere, co-workers, values

Cons

There aren't many cons here.. I've heard for some people, getting enough hours can be a problem.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people to work with

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time for less than a year

Pros

I really enjoy working at Hyvee, the staff is friendly and eager to help. HR is great and Val and Ashley are good to the employees. Helpful with any questions. Getting trained and the hiring process is smooth and efficient.

Cons

Hard to get more hours, limited to less than 30. Not very good if seeking full time. Great for a second job.

Talented people should be looked at and worked with to benefit the company. Thats why the turnover is so high. Assistant managers are under paid for what they do.

I worked part time, but things went pretty well.

Former Employee - Table Busser  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Table Busser in Madison, WI

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management was helpful, enjoyed working with customers and colleagues.

Cons

I really don't have much to say for cons.

In departments, It's retail, it's exactly what you would expect.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Winona, MN
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Winona, MN

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours when you get into a dept that has hours to give. If you don't have much experience working Hy-Vee will most likely give you a chance.

Cons

Low pay, MANY part time positions but much less full time positions. As with working in any grocery store or retail position like this, immaturity and lack of responsibility (Call-ins for insignificant things) is rampant with high school workers

Good place to work while in school.

Former Employee - Cashier, Courtesy, Stocker, Italian Express Cook  in  Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Cashier, Courtesy, Stocker, Italian Express Cook in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good first job. Very flexible, which was great for me while I was going to school. Room for advancement (if you put in the work and want it). For the most part, was a friendly environment. I've made some life long friends while working there.

Many stores have been changing their look recently, and I like it. I used to think the stores looked kind of bland, but the new look makes the stores feel cleaner, newer and more interesting.

Cons

Managers can micromanage. Can be difficult to get hours. I don't feel like the company worked me to my full potential (they'd have me bag groceries, and other courtesy work 3/4 of my shifts after I was trained to be a cashier). Although it is a friendly environment overall, you will also work with rude customers (as well as other employees and managers) that can make your day hell. I guess that's expected in retail though.

When an employee is trained to be a cashier, PUT THEM ON A REGISTER! Work them to their potential! I know even cashiers need to help bag groceries once in awhile, but jeez. Also, less micromanaging.

Many years of wonderful experiences

Former Employee - Cashier/Night Crew  in  Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Night Crew in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked for this company many years, from high school through college to full-time job first few years in working world. Was on night crew for five years with two stores. Have had countless experiences positive, mainly with customers who you are trained to go above and beyond for. Was one of the greatest experiences in my life to connect with many customers at my most recent location, a major university city where a large portion of customers were college students and so there was always someone new walking through the door to get to meet along with regulars who you got to know as good friends.

One of the best companies in the world in many regards--one of largest employee owned private companies in US, great diversity with variety of backgrounds/walks of life in workforce, multiple opportunities for growth and advancement, numerous opportunities to perpetually learn and grow as retail/grocery industry is awe-inspiring and constantly changing like other industries. This is one of the companies that will say they treat employees as family and mean it, from annual holiday parties to events recognizing years of service. Also customer service is awesome and among best anywhere, employees are expected to go above and beyond for customers and make a difference in their lives.

Cons

Umm, things that should not happen at any workplace that made it impossible to do my job. Thankfully behind the scenes so customers did not realize. Every place has its fair share of disorder and frustration and stress. But come on, if it's unethical or illegal it should be NO TOLERANCE. I'm talking about things like managers bragging about going to a bar after a long night's work and coming back to a morning meeting(this leads to very bad modeling when months later my night crew coworker was terminated for the same thing). Wages are often pretty good, but go fast if coworkers "borrow" large sums of money. Usually places have a "no call, no show" policy like three times and you're considered willfully leaving job. Well if you are sick and call in with no message being relayed by overly busy day managers you might get called at home ten or twenty times though you are home asleep trying to recuperate. (Please note these things did not all directly happen to me, but I was firsthand witness or experienced some).

Hours can be very unexpectedly long. Overtime is a great perk/incentive that employees should take advantage of in numerous jobs. But if you are at a retail location that frowns upon overtime and the extra hours are always following a "it's going to be a long long night 'cause three people called in sick and we've got a super large truck and you don't have to stay but really you SHOULD," it is really going to do a number on your morale and personal health after a couple years.

Okay, didn't realize bad incidents would take up that much room(easy to see why I had to quit), but please pay attention to pros for every company has its ghosts in the closet and I know that if I had worked harder to address these issues to managers they would have been taken care of.

Like other businesses, consider higher security for night crew. Usually pretty good, but employees maybe should be trained better in asset protection because shoplifting is a risk like other retail. More training for issues like workplace conduct, really personal life should be kept way more at home. Hold more consistent standards and have more thorough procedures for dealing with employee performance and any issues.

Can be a fun company, but difficult to feel appreciated.

Former Employee - Wine & Spirits Manager  in  Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Wine & Spirits Manager in Peoria, IL

I worked at Hy-Vee full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working in a fairly specialized department afforded me the opportunity to expand my education on craft beer and wine while being encouraged by corporate management every step of the way.

Cons

I never had a real set schedule; other than working what I called the "Hy-Vee Weekend," which consisted of working until close on a Friday or Saturday and being scheduled to open the following morning (usually with less that 7 hours between shifts.)

Before becoming a Full-Time employee, which took moving to a different store/market, I was expected to work 35-40/wk for little more than minimum wage and no benefits.

It was difficult to keep a full staff in my department, due to wages and maximum number of hours part time employees could work, causing me to have to cover the workload of two or more people by myself.

Overall compensation for my last position left a lot of month at the end of my checks. In the two plus years I was in a management position I received one very hard-fought, yet laughable raise (<1%) even though my department was clearing all profit and inventory goals. After seven years with the company I ended my career making less than $25,000/yr (I was a Certified Cicerone (Cicerone Certification Program,) a CSW (Society of Wine Educators,) a CWS (Hy-Vee/Gallo,) a Certified Beer Judge (Beer Judge Certification Program,) and had my degree in Business Management at the time of this job.)

Upper Management could do well to listen to complaints of employees while they are still working for you. It's easier to retain quality employees than to weed through potential employees and train them to do the job correctly. It seemed the Store Director at the time did no't understand this philosophy and ran off a lot of good people through their inaction.

No Respect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time

Pros

Most customers acknowledge when you go above and beyond for them and you are likely kept busy for much of your shift. There is always something to do and are many opportunities to explore in the store.

Cons

Almost none of the managers respect your hard work, they feel their job is more important than yours and that may be true, but at the same time, when you have a job to do, they don't care. They only care about getting what they need done and will pull you away from your responsibilities in order to do so. And they will not acknowledge that you've done a good job either. Management is very two-faced as well.

Start caring more about your employees instead of just yourselves. Be better leaders than what you show because it's a major letdown.

Worked for Hy-Vee? Contribute to the Community!