Hy-Vee Reviews

429 reviews filtered by
3.6
Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker
Randy Edeker

Pros
  • Flexible hours when you get into a dept that has hours to give (in 39 reviews)

• They do have some pretty decent health benefits as well as long as you are not part time (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, MANY part time positions but much less full time positions (in 27 reviews)

• They wonder why they have a big turn over rate in there part time workers (in 27 reviews)

1. Good job with decent salary, but get in the right department

Current Employee - Salad Bar Worker in Fitchburg, WI
    Current Employee - Salad Bar Worker in Fitchburg, WI

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and working conditions, a discount you'll actually use, free food sometimes, fast-paced so you're never bored

Cons

Not very flexible scheduling, some departments are a lot of work that requires you to stay late occasionally, difficult to balance with school because of late hours

2. flexible company

Current Employee - Salad Bar Clerk in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Salad Bar Clerk in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Hy-Vee

Pros

They were very flexible with my hours so I could work at a time to avoid daycare costs.

Cons

I work in the salad bar and we are slightly understaffed so when my coworkers don't get things done they leave them for me.

3. Convenience Store Clerk - 1 year

Current Employee - Convenience Store Clerk in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Convenience Store Clerk in Independence, MO

I have been working at Hy-Vee

Pros

Good employees. Good company. Flexible scheduling. Decent starting pay. It's fun interacting with and getting to know some of the regular customers.

Cons

Training could have been better. Seems a little bit difficult to move up in the company, but that's just from my perspective.

Always be sure to make your employees feel appreciated and notices. It motivates everyone and reminds us to do our job well.

5. As my first job, they have been super nice and understanding when it comes to scheduling and that i am still a minor.

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The managers and store director are all very friendly at the location I'm currently at, and employees get a 10 percent discount, which is pretty helpful for grocery shopping.

Cons

There is not much of a break. Which means standing almost your entire shift stuck at the register. Also, it is difficult to get to the restroom during your shift.

Being flexible with hours is really the best seeing as this is a starter level job at minimum wage- meaning mostly minors in school will be the ones working the job.

6. Good starter job, but nothing special.

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked here for about 16 months while I was in high school. You definitely got to try all of the sweet treats, and helping customers with cakes was always fun. It's a great starter job into the real world, because it is fast paced and you deal with all types of people.

Cons

Management is awful, I mean just plain awful. My bakery manager was never flexible around my schedule, and would keep us late hours. The second assistant managers are all right out of high school, and are immature and rude. A demanding job. They don't pay you enough for everything you have to accomplish. Some customers are so rude, especially when their cake is not done to their liking. As a clerk, you can't do anything about a messed up cake. When I wanted to transfer locations it took me forever to even get ahold of store management. Then the store said they had hired a bunch of new people, so I wasn't needed. Yet I had all the experience over new hires. Very frustrating experience.

If you claim to be a family orientated company, start looking at who you hire. Quit hiring management with zero experience.

7. It's great

Former Employee - Cashier in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its great to give a have the ability to help employ the community and to make it possible by keeping up to date with social media and this day and ages resources for are young people and everyone to obtain employment and to apply by apps

Cons

Not really sure of to many bad things so that is always great, I'd truly look at some one else's page for that

Keep up the good work

8. Very tough to get promoted.

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Hy-Vee full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Easy to get into mid-level management.

Cons

Tough to get above mid level management unless you started with the company as your first job.

Take other company experience into consideration.

9. Good place to work.

Current Employee - Clerk in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Clerk in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lower management is full of hardworking people who love their jobs. If you work hard it is possible to move up the food chain.

Cons

Middle Management, they focus on the day to day sales numbers more than bringing people back.

NA

Good company to work for if you don't mind having to work your way up.

I have been working at Hy-Vee

Pros

Good company. Flexible hours, can pretty much get away with murder there and as long as you look like youre staying on task you should be fine

Cons

Management is fresh out college, d-bags who micromanage and think theyre cool, if you can get past that though its not bad.

Lose the d-bag assistants, stop micromanaging, and bring in enough staff to cover the shifts, which seems to be a problem all too often.

11. Registered Dietitian

I have been working at Hy-Vee

Pros

Potential to help so many people live healthier lives.

Cons

People don't expect healthcare at the supermarket. Marketing is a challenge.

Hy-Vee Photos