Hy-Vee

Updated August 19, 2014

3.6

Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker
Randy Edeker

Pros
  • There are essentially flexible hours but that is the only benefit for part-time workers (in 32 reviews)

• I will be looking for better employment as part time will not cut it (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • micro managed, upper management doesnt have much of an idea of what goes on (in 22 reviews)

• Part timers made to work as hard as full time workers (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Favoritism is how the place works

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

Pros

Wages are above average. Health benefits are great for the industry. Ability move up (if you can beat the favoritism).

Cons

Discipline is based on favoritism. Management doesn't listen. Management takes care of its own and throws associates under the bus. Some employees "walk on water," no matter what they do wrong. Meanwhile, other employees can make small mistakes occasionally and be demoted and have their hours cut. Even with a doctor's note, employees can have their hours cut for simply being sick.

Hy-Vee Fundamentals need to be applied to EVERYONE, including associates by management. You can't go on a break in front of employees that have been working 8 hours without a break themselves. You also don't want to create a climate of people coming to a grocery store sick because they're afraid of having their hours cut.

Fast paced, friendly, yet demanding via schedule.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Mankato, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mankato, MN

Pros

Great place to work with a very diverse group of co-workers. Most co-workers are great to work with and it does at times work with your schedule. It can be rewarding when a customer actually appreciates all the time and effort put into helping them as best as possible. They do have some pretty decent health benefits as well as long as you are not part time.

Cons

The one major issue is having to work almost every holiday, (although this is retail and should be expected) and it can be hard to get certain weekends off that might be needed, unless it is for a vacation and vacation time is being used. Promotions can take time as well, it would be better to constantly move to different stores if you are looking to advance quicker. As with anywhere, there are some people that are difficult to work with and can potentially create more work for you as you pick up their slack.

Try to make it easier for employees who want to advance, advance in a quicker manner, as there are always more stores opening up in the Midwest area.

Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE

Pros

Good for a first job!

Cons

Low wage and no benefits!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Iowa City, IA

Pros

Co-workers and public are great to work with. Benefits are awesome and include profit sharing. Great opportunities available if you are willing to relocate. Most of the people currently working there have been employed with Hy-Vee for 10+ years.

Cons

Have to relocate most of the time if you want to move up. Holidays, weekends, and week nights are the busiest times so expect to work.

Best Company

Current Employee - Salad Bar Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Salad Bar Assistant Manager

Pros

In my sixties. Started work as part-time hourly. Two months later moved into assistant manager job of a department. Though, as usual, it depends on individual store manager (or Director as Hy-Vee calls them) the mood throughout the store is very upbeat. Employees greet each other going up and down isles as well as helping customers to the Nth degree. Pay is good ($12 @ hr) and kept to 40 hours if at all possible. I work 5 8-hour days. Department manager always tries to give me the days off I request. Benefits are good also with many options. Wish I had started this job years ago. Aggressive future as they are adding sit down restaurants and walkin health clinics to many stores.

Cons

You gotta love working with people, even jerks. This company is definitely customer focused. Each store is under the management of a Store Director that has wide control over products carried and even where they are displayed and their selling price. This makes for some confusion when customers are looking for product carried by another Hy-Vee but not mine. Also, as a consumer, I dislike the meat department selling items by the count and not by the pound. I think it is very misleading. I buy most of my meat elsewhere so I do not have the ask the clerk, "What is the price per pound on 2 for $5 chicken breasts?" etc.

When the big wigs come into a local store, talk to the part-time. It is a nice touch to show you care.

Good place to work during high school.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Davenport, IA

Pros

They are really good at working around busy high school schedules. There's chances for promotions if you work hard enough. The people I work with are very friendly, it's easy to strike up a conversation with just about anyone I work with. They made me feel welcome from the first day I started working there. They even have a Christmas party every year for the employees and their family.

Cons

They hire more and more teenagers and cut back hours for current employees. They are slowly taking away our rewards programs (Smiles cards) and replacing them with cheaper rewards. They should pay a little more money for the cashiers and stockers because of what we have to deal with. I am not making enough money to deal with some of the customers I have to deal with.

Make sure your front end workers are appreciated, they are the people who keep your stores running. Keep good rewards programs for employees, we're more willing to go the extra mile.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Cashier in West Des Moines, IA

Pros

There are many opportunities to advance within both the store and company-wide

Cons

Current managers favor the high school students and don't make them do their job making the rest of us work twice as harde

Good for High School & College Students

Pros

Flexible with hours and reasonably high pay for a job in high school.

Cons

Lots of turnover in management in stores and some are flat out bad.

The company has a good culture, keep building on that. Perhaps be a little more selective with the lower management positions.

alright employment for a student

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Ames, IA

Pros

flexable hours if you dont need alot of hours

Cons

hours fluxuate and arent stable

Best company to work for.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Employee ownership, friendly fun environment, advancement opportunities, strong culture and continuing to grow.

Cons

We are very busy, holidays can be stressful

Keep training

Worked for Hy-Vee? Contribute to the Community!