Hy-Vee

Updated December 21, 2014
3.6

Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker
Randy Edeker

Pros
  • Flexible hours when you get into a dept that has hours to give (in 39 reviews)

• They do have some pretty decent health benefits as well as long as you are not part time (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, MANY part time positions but much less full time positions (in 27 reviews)

• They wonder why they have a big turn over rate in there part time workers (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

I wouldn't recommend ever working here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of a single pro to working for this company.

Cons

If you're needing money to support a yourself, a household or a family then a position here will not cut it. You're lucky to get 12 hours a week unless you're management, married to management or dating management. All of the managers at my location were either married to one another or dating. They do not follow your availability, they do not promote based of off performance but on who is in their clique. They are constantly short staffed at the front of the store, calling up help from off the floor but somehow always hiring more help yet somehow can't provide the staff that helped open the store with hours. All they care about is the store profit and numbers. Some employees have yet to have any sort of review since the store opened in May. I find it suspicious that there are employees that already know what job they'll hold in a year from now when someone is able to transfer out but then there are employees who work hard and can't get a raise or a promotion that is well deserved. You have to sleep your way to the top.

Treat everyone fairly! There's a reason most companies do not allow spouses to work at the same location if they're working for the same company. You preach about being a store that feels like family but if this was my family I wouldn't associate with them because of how fake everyone is. 15+ hours on customer service training but your management team treats everyone below them like complete garbage.

Part time worthy

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great for high school and college students because of their flexible scheduling. Usually hiring, easy work, and make new friends. Management usually friendly and helpful.

Cons

Hard to get full time, minimum wage, and part time gets like no benefits.

Why I left

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They will give you plenty of hours to work if you give them your availability. Occasionally, workers are allowed to leave early if the store is not busy.

Cons

If you tell them you are free to work at a certain time, they will not hesitate to ask you (sometimes force you) to work during that time even if it causes you to work more than the amount of hours you said you could handle a week. This was a struggle for me because I was a student at the same time and didn't have enough time to be working as much as they were scheduling me. They are one of the few companies to still manually post work hours rather than put it online--which would be much more efficient.

If I say that the maximum I can work is 15 hours a week, but my availability has 20 open hours, I should only be scheduled for 15 hours because I have other responsibilities, such as school, to take care of during that time.

It is hit and miss.

Current Employee - Coffee Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Coffee Shop Manager

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your first year as a full-time employee you receive two weeks paid vacation. There's awesome benefits, including the 401k. There's a lot of room for growth within the company.

Cons

There isn't much of a work-life balance, it is pretty much work. Policies change a lot, and you're never sure which is the right one. Stores can get cliquey and hard to make any progress. Not really great at adapting to state policies.

Former Employee - Average Employee in Estherville, IA
    Former Employee - Average Employee in Estherville, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Somewhat relaxed environment, might change from store to store.

Cons

Dealing with childish people, typical of a job with younger workers.

Pay more attention to cameras and less to word of mouth.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Department Manager in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee

Pros

I was given every opportunity to succeed and did.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lot of gossip

Hy-Vee review

I worked at Hy-Vee

Pros

You are trained adequately to do your job and it's not to stressful. Great benefits and the peer staff is awesome to work with.

Cons

You do the same thing every day so it gets very old very quick. Its hard to make a lot of money you less you work there forever.

Pay more attention to staff needs and incentives to get rid of the high turn over rate. Also chill out and realize it's a job not life's end all be all.

Cashier

Former Employee - Customer Service in Mason City, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Mason City, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly place. Helpful managers always looking out for you. Fun place to work with a great environment and wonderful coworkers.

Cons

Not much to complain about from my experience. As a matter of fact I can't think of any cons.

N/a

Eh.

Former Employee - Checker in Gladstone, MO
    Former Employee - Checker in Gladstone, MO

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hard-working co-workers. Great management. Pay was alright for an entry-level position.

Cons

They claim to have great scheduling, but that is the reason I quit. (It's a long story)
    This job generally just made me depressed. It wasn't a super upbeat and positive place to be. I didn't have many friends and my coworkers were not very welcoming. I got really upset any time that I had to go to work because I knew it was going to bring me down. That might just be me though, a lot of people enjoy it.

Make sure that employees are getting enough breaks at the right time.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Dairy Clerk in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Dairy Clerk in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a great atmosphere that you are able to work in. This is a great first job, or job to work at through high school or college.

Cons

The pay is not great, it is what you would expect for a first time job though. The work also can get very repetitive, overall though there were no great downfalls to the job.

Hy-Vee Photos