Hy-Vee Reviews

Reset

1. Salad Bar Express clerk-Peoria store #1

Current Employee - Salad Bar Express Clerk in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Salad Bar Express Clerk in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time

Pros

Decent hours, fair pay, flexible schedule if you give your manager 3-4 weeks advance notice.

Cons

4 people left salad bar for other employment or went off to University. Store manager wants about 6 people to do the work of 12. Feels like The Peoria store #1 manager is trying to clear out Salad bar & replace with new people, and nobody is being clear & honest with salad bar staff!

Advice to Management

HIRE ENOUGH PEOPLE TO MAKE SALAD BAR RUN SMOOTHLY!!!!!

2. Good

Current Employee - Bakery Designer in Sycamore, IL
    Current Employee - Bakery Designer in Sycamore, IL

I have been working at Hy-Vee (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible hours, good benefits

Cons

Some particular managers aren't capable of managing, so their weakness' trickle down to people who they are supposed to manage. Pay could be better.

3. I enjoy working here.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

Pros

It is a great place to work. I am constantly moved around so that i don't get bored. I enjoy my coworkers. They work with any schedule that you might need.

Cons

Sometimes they have to cut back on hours. You'll become a workaholic. There isn't really any other cons.

5. Parkour specialist, professional Tetris player, potato chip security guard, and cash person

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Hy-Vee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours (for other positions than management) Good pay Great career opportunity for those who want to pursue retail management and/or more Great coworkers Great health benefits

Cons

This is a HARD position and they say that upfront. Not to scare you but to prepare you. I just wasn't cut out for the position and I left on bad terms so if there's anything you do, leave on good terms, give your two weeks, and never leave them hanging. This goes for any job! Hours... They vary so much but welcome to the wonderful world of retail. :) if you are an assistant manager (depending on your department) you work a minimum of 45 hours per week and you simply run around like a chicken with its head cut off because you are NEEDED in many areas. Staffing... The store I worked for had a huge problem with people calling in which hurt our need for checkers and sackers which in turn hurts our bottom line and bonus checks. As mentioned in many of our meetings, the only way to avoid this problem is to hire good quality people which is hard to tell in the interview. So that's why I always recommend calling references. Management (including myself) could have done a better job being more strict with its younger employees. I thought we felt soft toward them because we want to be liked instead of respected. We need to realize that we have things to get done and if we can't get them done by the end of the shift, we have to stay later. So it all comes down to hiring good quality people and enforcing the golden rule. Treat people the way you would want to be treated. Training... You cannot simply just show someone something once and expect them to be experts. Some positions like management take repetition and coaching. Show them once, watch them do it, critique, watch them do it by themselves, and have them train others to do the same because you learn the best by teaching others. When trainees ask you how to do something, don't say oh you'll just know. Show them how you know. The back room... Figure out a better way to organize your bays and pallets because that back room is a nightmare (especially on truck nights). Sometimes it looks pretty and sometimes it looks like a tornado blew through it. I wish I had time to organize it but I'm usually called up from to check or sack every 20-30 minutes. I would have also stayed late but you frown upon overtime too. OT is understandable because time is money. So I get that but definitely implement a fair work/life balance for all positions.

Advice to Management

Spending 10-15 minutes telling someone they did something wrong instead of coaching them through their mistakes is ineffective. Really take your time in showing the younger generation you care because they are the future of this company. Last but not least, practice what you preach (please). They say children will follow your example but not your advice. So be mindful of what you say and do.

6. Wholesome Valued Employer

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time

Pros

Quarterly raises, plenty of employee appreciation, higher ups seem like they care about everyone all the way to the baggers and visit briefly with newbies, nice coworkers

Cons

stuffy uniform, and sometimes cliquey groups make you feel like an outsider or a bit unwelcome.

7. Omaha #10

Former Employee - Floral Clerk in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Floral Clerk in Omaha, NE

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great to work with. Very flexible with scheduling

Cons

Floal department has a small work space

Advice to Management

Listen to the opinions of the employees regarding work space

8. Dairy/Frozen

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time

Pros

Consistent direction from managers and high energy, quality work environment.

Cons

Not a big "team" atmosphere.

9. Solid Part Time Job

Pros

flexible schedule and friendly environment

Cons

I dont have any Cons about HyVee

10. Great first job.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Started working there when I was 16, loved the environment and work. I'm glad I got a job when I was 16, and I'm glad it was at HyVee.

Cons

Hours were limited because there were so many employees. However, this is good if part-time is all you're looking for.

11. Great Store

Current Employee - Night Stocker in Yankton, SD
    Current Employee - Night Stocker in Yankton, SD

Pros

Great store, friendly people, clean

Cons

maybe add more hours and pay

RSS Feed </> Embed