Hy-Vee Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.5

Hy-Vee Chairman, CEO & President Randy Edeker
Randy Edeker

Pros
  • There are essentially flexible hours but that is the only benefit for part-time workers (in 32 reviews)

• I will be looking for better employment as part time will not cut it (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • micro managed, upper management doesnt have much of an idea of what goes on (in 22 reviews)

• Part timers made to work as hard as full time workers (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

They were there when I needed them, made it possible to raise my family and hopefully retire in a few years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, MN

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They are a good company to work for. Let's you put your family first when you need to. They are good to me, I shouldn't complain, but I do.

Cons

Many times I'm asked to do more than I can handle without being overly stressed out. And then asked why isn't this or that done. Many times have gone home and begged to let me quit.

Don't be so afraid to have the help when you need it. I Know you are aware when you don't have enough help but you just put pressure on your employees because its all about the almighty dollar.

Hy-Vee

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you work hard, you will be recognized and will advance. I've always considered the pay fair for what I'm doing. My boss is very open to scheduling around my availability, and works with requests off so I can have a life outside of work.

Cons

You have to get the right set of upper management. I've worked at several Hy-Vees now, and the management makes all the difference in the world to how well the job works out. Benefits are a bit expensive, but who's aren't these days?

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Checker and Wine and Spirits Clerk  in  Keokuk, IA
    Current Employee - Checker and Wine and Spirits Clerk in Keokuk, IA

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time for more than a year

Pros

Active in the community, flexible hours, many opportunities to try different jobs, raises every six months, company has great values.

Cons

Hard to get on full time, can be competitive to try and get hours, not much really wrong with the company, just a stereotypical entry level job

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great part-time job with room to advance

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Lees Summit, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Lees Summit, MO

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time for more than a year

Pros

Especially when working on the front end (Cashiering, sacking), it is very, very flexible with your schedule. Whether you want only 10-15 hours a week or 25-30, work is available to anyone who merely is customer service-oriented and friendly. When I worked there, I found friends in many of my peers at the store, and as of today my best friends are still people I worked with there. With a college degree, there is room for advancement if the individual has a strong work ethic and focuses on satisfying the customers.

Cons

With any retail job, hours may be very early or very late, and with a lot of the company's money being made on the weekend, that requires the employee to not have weekends off very much, if at all. The lower levels of the store do not pay very much, so until you get into the higher levels of management, you will probably need another job to generate income.

At the store I worked at, I feel that management did a very good job of both taking care of the customer as well as rewarding those employees who worked their tails off for them. I feel that store is a model for how a business should be run, and thus have no advice for them.

Thankless Job

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Hy-Vee full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I had great co-workers who were supportive and fun. I also enjoyed training and working with young employees. I feel that I helped them get experience that will help them in future careers.

Cons

My particular supervisor was unprofessional and crossed the line to harassment when I told him I was pregnant. He pulled me away from my post to yell at me for sitting down the previous evening, when business was slow. When I tried to defend myself, reminding him that I was pregnant, he told me I had no business sitting down because I didn't have a doctor's note.

It is important to keep a balance of work and fun in the workplace or people will get burnt out and quit. Profits are important, but they aren't the only measure of success.

Worked for the time-being.

Current Employee - Dairy Clerk  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Dairy Clerk in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time for less than a year

Pros

The community involvement is pretty great. Being a more local company, Hy-Vee is definitely more involved in their surrounding community.

Cons

The upper management never really had their "stuff together". The store never really did that great, and it showed in lazy management.

Act more like an "employee-owned" work place. Show a little more consideration for your employees who are your true work force.

The greatest company in the USA!

Current Employee - Clerk  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Clerk in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Everthing in this great company is done right!

Cons

Nothing can be changed in this great USA company!

Keep up the great work

Good First Job

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time

Pros

Overall the company is very flexible. Very easy to transfer departments and even stores. Pretty flexible with hours also. In my time there, moved from sacker to cashier to pharmacy tech and I know others that worked in multiple departments. A great thing is, they almost always hire from within and there is plenty of room for advancement. I saw many fellow employees be promoted within the store as well as landing big promotions at other stores. As for the pharmacy, PIC has much more say in decisions and policy than corporate giant competitors. Also, much more understanding and flexible than other pharmacy chains and are willing to take new techs and students and train. Time off was very flexible, no issues getting off for events and vacations and things. Customer service is first priority which is great and there are secret shoppers but you are not constantly being surveyed and scored like other retail stores. I worked with some really wonderful people in my store and made some really great friends. Overall the atmosphere was pretty laid back and enjoyable. Hy-Vee also is very involved in the community and spends a lot of time and money helping with fundraisers and scholarships. A lot of good people with good values.

Cons

The company is somewhat disorganized due to their lack of corporate policy. Store Directors have a lot of say in what happens with each store and can make or break your experience with the company. Raises are said to be given every year and upon position and department moves, however the timing and amounts of these raises were so inconsistent between each employee. Had to remind HR/manager every year when it was time for my review which then took another 3 months to get done just to get a minimal raise even with a perfect score on review. Employees were treated different based on their relationships with management. Pay was minimal to average and breaks were mostly nonexistent for evening/weekend pharmacy techs. Biggest con for pharmacy: CENTRAL FILL. 30+% of all prescriptions are now being filled at an off-site, central location for all stores and shipped to each pharmacy each day. This is a cost-cutting and "streamlining" decision made by corporate which ultimately results in a headache for workers and management being forced to drastically cut hours. This was the deal breaker for me, you are forced to push auto-refill and fill as many scripts centrally as possible which ultimately results in a smaller script count in store and your hours getting changed and/or cut.

Create more policies to create consistency for employees. The flexibility seems nice at first, but ultimately its the employee that suffers. Most importantly, stop central fill. When I started in the pharmacy, Hy-Vee pharmacy was different than the corporate chain pharmacies and provided a better service and experience to the patients. Over the years, corporate has become more and more like chain pharmacies enforcing ridiculous cost-cutting measures which compromises the care given to patients. Central Fill creates a large disconnect between patient and pharmacist and you will lose many valued patients and employees.

Bakery

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk  in  Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers and nice people

Cons

They cut hours and there is not enough help. You are alone most of the time. I had five calls on hold at once. While those calls were on hold, I was helping a crowd of people who were waiting for me to get done with this customer before them. I did not get to answer any of the five held calls because by the time I was finished going up to customer service to pay for cakes, taking a catering copy to the office, cleaning the dishwasher, donut case, setting up donuts, writing on cakes, and cleaning the dessert case and taking trash down and boxes all by myself and more, the customers hung up

Care about the customers and your employees equally. Don't just help customers but help your employees by getting them help. It is very unprofessional when a company does not hire help and it makes the company look really bad. Do not cut hours either when you can help it. You may lose employees if this continues

Like being back in high school

I worked at Hy-Vee

Pros

Flexible schedules, always work available in each department, great for part time and high school employment, diverse group

Cons

Very catty work environment, weak leadership, full time wait list is over a year wait, no accountability for management

Worked for Hy-Vee? Contribute to the Community!