Hy-Vee Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. cashier

Pros

Paid on-site online training before starting, flexible hours, interaction with public, fast pace makes time pass faster

Cons

Cashier area could be more cashier friendly: our store doesn't have a wand to scan heavy items, anti-fatigue mat could be larger, plastic bags difficult to separate, design of counter could be better for passing goods to customer. Registers seem to have to share: paper towels, cleaning spray, UPC for certain things, greeting card bags - shouldn't need to. No employee discounts except on junk foods consumed at break time.

Advice to Management

See Cons, above. About 90% of voids require management to intervene which takes their time and the customer's. WIC items could be marked clearer at the shelf to avoid customer confusion. Types of milk allowed on WIC could be programmed into software so it's not up to cashier to determine.

2. Great Boss, Horrible Managers, and Helpless Customers

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Shenandoah, IA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Shenandoah, IA

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The boss is super nice, but very intimidating. A few of the managers are nice and helpful.

Cons

Even though a few managers are nice, most aren't. The customers are mostly helpless and annoying. Managers aren't very understanding of some of the working conditions. If you are working courtesy in the morning you have to pick up trash from the parking lot.

Advice to Management

Pick better managers that treat their employees with respect.

3. Good Company Overall

Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time

Pros

Like a lot of companies with multiple locations, HyVee can vary according to the store director, (store manager.) The one I work for seems to be very good one for overall store attitude. The pay is decent, the benefits and insurance are good and the philosophy of the company is contagious.Employees greet each other not just customers as you leave, arrive or travel the store. Smiles are everywhere. Being company owned, all employees share in the profitability of the individual store. This is nicely explained in quarterly meetings. So instead of being part of thousands of employees, you can see from a more local standpoint how the profit is made. Example: fewer carts hitting cars in the lot reduces claims and therefore your bonus rises. They are also good at keeping your hours in check so you seldom work over your scheduled 40.

Cons

I'm older and very experienced but it seems that the upper management doesn't seem to care about my opinion. Maybe sour grapes but decisions are made for departments without the department manager being involved. "Add this" or "change this" without asking "what do you thing would improve sales."

Advice to Management

Summed up above with ask the manager and assistant what they feel might benefit the department. Also, despite always being aware of profitability, buy or repair equipment for both safety and morale reasons.

5. Good work environment

Former Employee - Health Market Clerk in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Health Market Clerk in Springfield, MO

I worked at Hy-Vee (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, management was always available

Cons

I stocked shelves which got to be extremely boring and monotonous.

6. Great place for a career!

Current Employee - Product Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Advancement opportunities are great! Hy-vee takes great care of their employees and management!

Cons

I really don't have any cons. I love my job.

7. Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Lees Summit, MO
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Lees Summit, MO

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great flexibility, good part time pay, easy job.

Cons

Can be very boring a repetitive.

Advice to Management

Add more variety to responsibilities seen by all employees.

8. I'm finally free!

I worked at Hy-Vee part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

well it's not minimum wage.

Cons

This summer I'd worked a job at HyVee, only made about 1000 for three months work. I started off okay, passed the cashiering training, but every night I'd go home with an ice pack. I have Joint Hypermobility Syndrome. I'm at a9/9 on the brighton scale and they had me working 8-10 hours some days with half a hour break max that I could put my feet up. (I'm in ankle and knee braces, well not wearing them today because my legs are really sore and still have redmarks from yesterday) Two days ago At the end of a eight hour shift (during which I had the misfortune to handle money with blood on it, manager just said put it at the bottom of the drawer. Didn't offer to bring hydrogen peroxide over to eat it or anything.) I was checking this woman out and she had a leaky chinese container. I put it in a plastic bag all by it's self but lol and behold as soon as I set that down it fell over on it's side and spilled more. aplogizing didn't do anything and I got called into the catering office after the store supervisoer and three other managers ganged up on me. my thoughts "So fired" But then they tell me I've gotten a lot/alot of complaints from customers about being slow, unhelpful, and making comments I shouldn't (What did Tumblr spill into the real world? am I not allowed to tell parents their children are well behaved or say I like their tattoo /hair?) this was the first time they mentioned anything by the way. Then yesterday the first four hours of my shift were okay, I had one of the two managers who actually liked me up but then he went home, and the sacking/help putting things in carts went away and I was on my own. By that point my collar's rubbed my neck raw I got one leg that's completely numbed out /I can only tell where it is when I look down. My neck and left arm are flamingly painful/pins and needles . I get ******* at for being slow again and considering what they told me Yesterday fairly sure I'm about to get fired. This is after at the end o my shift/two minutes left I turn the light at my register off, and then a manager comes around behind me and flicks it back on. so I turned it off again. Once I clocked out I told them I'm done I quit (no 2 weeks) and asked if they wanted the shirt and name badge left (I was wearing a tank underneath, I took the uniform shirt off in the parking lot and threw it in the back seat of my car. it's still there. debating having a bon fire or giving it to my rabbit/throwing it away) I'm out, I'm done. I'm never going back to that store again, They aren't even that good of a store, the produce that's moldy they'll just take out of the container and put the rest back on the shelf, the managers go to waltmart all the time and buy things that they can sell for double because it's cheaper than ordering it in on a truck. Honestly unless you get the home grown/organic/within 200 miles produce you're buying waltmart stuff .

Advice to Management

I have none. It Sucks.

9. It has been great so far.

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Hy-Vee part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming environment Employee meal deals where you get any Starbuck's drink and a sand which for $5 They add to your 401K

Cons

It is hard to get lots of hours when starting out

Advice to Management

If you need more help with cashiering on any given day, please call employees who have that day off to ask them to come in to work.

10. Good Job

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Cherokee, IA
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Cherokee, IA

I have been working at Hy-Vee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Most of Management are good people, Recession Proof, work as hard as you want to, Home almost every night

Cons

Forced over niter's, get home every day but usually at midnight or worse, scheduling vacation or personal events are difficult. Unable to get time off unless you have 10 years seniority at certain times of the year. Forget home time during holidays outside of Christmas and Thanksgiving for ten years. Takes 10 years to get a weekend off that isn't vacation or four day schedule. Office Gossip/Politics, Management constantly trying to fix things that are not broken. A lot of unwritten rules.

Advice to Management

Don't fix what is not broken, just because something sounds good from the office doesn't mean it is a good thing on the road.

11. Assistant

Pros

Friendly, can have some fun

Cons

Hours, always work holidays, hours

RSS Feed </> Embed