Hyatt

Updated December 14, 2014
3.8

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian
Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
  • Hyatt gives great benefits and really care about their employees (in 43 reviews)

• The company tries hard to keep employees happy, and provides fairly good benefits (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance, it can bevery hard to make plans around your work schedule (in 30 reviews)

• Extremely long hours hours for a handful of positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work environment

Current Employee - IRD in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IRD in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is pretty good for a normal job

Cons

Hours vary and days off vary

Best Summer Internship Out There!

Former Employee - Corporate Itern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Corporate Itern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

While interning at Hyatt Corporate I gained an abundance of business skills and experience which played an integral role in getting a full time position upon graduation. Hyatt makes employees feel important treats everyone with respect and positivity. The energy at the Corporate office is contagious and I would love to return.

Cons

There is a large gap in positions between interns/ assistants and senior management, making it hard to move up in the organization.

Keep doing what your doing, you make employees feel valued and happy employees leads to better work!

Senior Management needs work

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall the workers both in corporate and hotels are very talented and enjoyable to work with. Some great experiences had there and amazing hotel benefits to take advantage of.

Cons

Infighting and insecurity at the top level has caused many talented people to lose their jobs or pushed out.

Provide more cross-functional advancement opportunities, particularly for individual contributors who played a significant role increasing Hyatt's asset base and portfolio of hotels.

Great People and a Good Place to Gain Experience

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people make this a great company to work for in addition to a good work-life balance. Managers are generally engaged and give you increased responsibility if you earn it while supporting development.

Cons

Compensation is not very competitive and limited career growth opportunities. There is definitely a message to employees that you need to leave Hyatt to get promoted.

CEO and C-Leadership are very detached and there is a lot of politics between departments that slow down progress

Retain top talent by paying more competitively and offering more growth opportunities

Speed up turnover for management and try and manager inter-department politics better

Infformation technology team. Best place to work in Chicago

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New head of group that gets it. Great vision, great execution. Listening culture. Whole department has been restructured and it was finally done right. I've never seen a tech department communicate so well all the way down the organization.

Cons

We are in a different building then the rest of the company, although some of my peers view this as a plus. Hours can be long. Some of the tech we have to support it a little long in the tooth. Head of department seems very comfortable with risk and failure, but the middle managers between him and I are much more conservative, and dare I say afraid for their jobs. CEO seems detached. Structure outside of IT (marketing,finance,operations) needs better leadership

Speed up the turnover. Some politics in the main building spill over to ours, if you could find a way to manage the inter-department shenanigans this would be the perfect job.

Always something different happening!

Former Employee - Business Travel Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Travel Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture! Co-workers were great to work with, and always took the time to go that extra step to help out. Working in the sales department, I was able to travel and experience other Hyatt locations.

Cons

Hotel was going through a renovation which made it difficult to bring in new business. This happened to be a franchised property, so I didn't feel that management took the time to sit down and really discuss the needs of their associates or the challenges the property was facing.

Hyatt Corporate really needs to review who buys their properties. They have a great work ethic, while some of these franchised management properties do not.

Awful.

Former Employee - Gallery Host in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Gallery Host in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time

Pros

Nothing positive to say about this place.

Cons

Worst management ever. I had nightmares about this place.

good to be guest but not employee

Former Employee - Events in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Events in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

large company, professional colleagues, a wide range of guests

Cons

very long hours, politics, bureaucracy

culture should not measure productivity and efficiency of staff by how many hours they have worked

Hyatt Response

May 30, 2014VP Talent Management

We are sorry you did not have a good experience with us. It is our associates that ultimately take care of our guests and differentiate us from our competitors. Our goal is to provide an employee ... More

Love it here

Current Employee - Restaurant Server in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Restaurant Server in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Union!! Great pay, nice people to work with, renovated restaurant makes lots of money! Gym reimbursement, free dry cleaning, free lunch, employee appreciation dinners and luncheons. Workers and management are fun

Cons

Very physically demanding, parking expensive, and employee locker rooms are outdated. Guests can be overwhelming

Hyatt Response

May 27, 2014Director of Recruiting

So glad to hear that you love it! We do have some nice benefits when you think about it. I agree that the work is not for everyone, but those that love it seem to really enjoy creating an ... More

Great company to broaden your career knowledge

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company with many departments to explore or cross train if desired

Cons

Senior level advancement is a very, very long process.