Hyatt Reviews

Reset
3.9
Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian
Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
  • From the great benefits to the investment on professional growth of their associates Hyatt values their most important asset:it's employees (in 43 reviews)

• Free Hotel rooms throughout the company and good benefits (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers are not considerate of work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Hospitality industry is hard long hours (in 51 reviews)

1. Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt

Pros

While I was an employee at the Hyatt I was able to meet some amazing people. I enjoyed the team I was working with and everyone that I came in contact with while working at the Hyatt was very helpful.

Cons

I wish that the position that I was working was not seasonal or at least allowed for something else until the season picked up again

Advice to Management

I would try to keep the workers that were there all the time with something to do for the whole year not just seasonal

2. Corporate ......

Former Contractor - Technical in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Technical in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and increases were good at first when the Oakbrook Terrace office was open. The commute was ok. Met some really good folks/people.

Cons

After the Oakbrook Terrace office closed, everyone either scattered (again) for a new job or drudged downtown. Working numerous positions for the price of one. The manager that left during the staffing firm transition found his way back in to the Hyatt account as an analyst and then back into his manager role shortly after. Politics, politics, politics ..... enough said. Unless you are in the "Click", don't expect to be treated well or have a favorable review. Don't expect to be hired in off of contract or promoted to the next level unless you know someone higher up or you are apart of the "Year Up" group which seems to have a foot hold on the Level 3 support team.

Advice to Management

Keep the good things coming. Tell the director(s) to get out of their one operating system world and be more flexible with other operating systems and not to criticize others unless they are up to being criticized themselves.

3. Hyatt Analyst

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt

Pros

laid back environement with cool people. Free vacation at hyatt locations (fixed number that increases with tenure but still good). allows wfh occasionally.

Cons

not biggest salaries early on. if you want to vacation at a very popular hyatt resort, need to reserve it way in advance.not as many PTO as I would like.

Advice to Management

none at this time.

5. Awesome Place to Work!

Current Employee - Digital Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Digital Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accepting, future thinking, innovative, purpose driven, great environment & fantastic brands. They invest in your career & development, and are flexible around things like technology choices, working virtually & travel opportunities.

Cons

As a hospitality company, it is very much an operations led company. This is it's strength, but occasionally it's weakness. A lot of things are done "because they've always been done"

6. The Big 3 - Yahoo, Google, and Microsoft have sought after me... and I won't leave Hyatt

Current Employee - NOC - IT- Corporate Office in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - NOC - IT- Corporate Office in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing place to work, support from my Director is almost unusually strange... was foreign to me. This is the way it's supposed to be done.

Cons

Silos. In the IT world breaking the walls down between teams has it's challenging... but here they're quickly falling.

Great first job experience

Former Employee - Meeting Concierge in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Meeting Concierge in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt

Pros

Thorough training schedule
    Internship included a mentor

Cons

Steep learning curve--sink or swim

8. Internship experience

Former Intern - Hotel in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Hotel in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Variety of Departments exposed to, taught skills (housekeeping, F&B, rooms). Given some mentorship. Good hotel discounts.

Cons

Weird hours (nights and weekends), a lot of grunt work without enough mentorship and opportunities. Tension between departments.

Advice to Management

Stop taking time off and enjoying the hotel facilities while everyone else is working. Be involved in all departments, and don't just be everyone's friend-Hold employees accountable.

It was great to work in an innovative hospitality industry.

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt

Pros

Work a lot with cross-functional teams which helps you broaden your eye horizon. Great enthusiastic and energetic working environment. Many wonderful ideas come from the marketing plans.

Cons

A little lack of organizational management.

10. Great work environment

Current Employee - IRD in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IRD in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is pretty good for a normal job

Cons

Hours vary and days off vary

Company was a complete hindrance to my career, let alone a joke of a professional organization.

Former Employee - Operation Services in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operation Services in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While there was a thing or two I liked, the Cons outweigh them to the point that they aren't even worth mentioning. So nothing worth writing in this section

Cons

-Management is completely full of it. They conduct all these surveys and act like they are actively addressing employee morale. They try to not have that "corporate" reputation and they are failing miserably. Management acted like they gave a concern about you and your career, but I don't even know if my direct manager knew what I was doing on any given day. I felt I was more qualified to do the job. Also, the people I directly worked for didn't even conduct my performance reviews. It was conducted by upper management, who saw < 10% of my work.
    -The company is highly disorganized. I proposed to go paperless and that was shot down. The database software they run doesn't even work half the time. My manager didn't even know how to use it, and he would consistently ask me about it. Kind of pathetic that management of a multinational corporation can't even generate a simple report.
    -Absolutely no room for growth. You will hear them preach to the choir about opportunity this, opportunity that, but the fact of the matter is you are stuck in the same role and there is nothing that can be done about it. They do not create positions, change roles around, or create chances for employees to get experience in other areas. More of a boring, redundant job than a career
    -Communication is a serious problem. The hotels and corporate office are completely dysfunctional, meaning neither party knows what the other needs to get his/her job done successfully.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Employees are quitting left and right

RSS Feed </> Embed