Hyatt Reviews

• Chicago, IL
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. The Big 3 - Yahoo, Google, and Microsoft have sought after me... and I won't leave Hyatt

Current Employee - NOC - IT- Corporate Office in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - NOC - IT- Corporate Office in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing place to work, support from my Director is almost unusually strange... was foreign to me. This is the way it's supposed to be done.

Cons

Silos. In the IT world breaking the walls down between teams has it's challenging... but here they're quickly falling.

Great first job experience

Former Employee - Meeting Concierge in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Meeting Concierge in Chicago, IL

Pros

Thorough training schedule Internship included a mentor

Cons

Steep learning curve--sink or swim

3. Internship experience

Former Intern - Hotel in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Hotel in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Variety of Departments exposed to, taught skills (housekeeping, F&B, rooms). Given some mentorship. Good hotel discounts.

Cons

Weird hours (nights and weekends), a lot of grunt work without enough mentorship and opportunities. Tension between departments.

Advice to Management

Stop taking time off and enjoying the hotel facilities while everyone else is working. Be involved in all departments, and don't just be everyone's friend-Hold employees accountable.

It was great to work in an innovative hospitality industry.

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

Pros

Work a lot with cross-functional teams which helps you broaden your eye horizon. Great enthusiastic and energetic working environment. Many wonderful ideas come from the marketing plans.

Cons

A little lack of organizational management.

6. Great work environment

Current Employee - IRD in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IRD in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is pretty good for a normal job

Cons

Hours vary and days off vary

Company was a complete hindrance to my career, let alone a joke of a professional organization.

Former Employee - Operation Services in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operation Services in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While there was a thing or two I liked, the Cons outweigh them to the point that they aren't even worth mentioning. So nothing worth writing in this section

Cons

-Management is completely full of it. They conduct all these surveys and act like they are actively addressing employee morale. They try to not have that "corporate" reputation and they are failing miserably. Management acted like they gave a concern about you and your career, but I don't even know if my direct manager knew what I was doing on any given day. I felt I was more qualified to do the job. Also, the people I directly worked for didn't even conduct my performance reviews. It was conducted by upper management, who saw < 10% of my work. -The company is highly disorganized. I proposed to go paperless and that was shot down. The database software they run doesn't even work half the time. My manager didn't even know how to use it, and he would consistently ask me about it. Kind of pathetic that management of a multinational corporation can't even generate a simple report. -Absolutely no room for growth. You will hear them preach to the choir about opportunity this, opportunity that, but the fact of the matter is you are stuck in the same role and there is nothing that can be done about it. They do not create positions, change roles around, or create chances for employees to get experience in other areas. More of a boring, redundant job than a career -Communication is a serious problem. The hotels and corporate office are completely dysfunctional, meaning neither party knows what the other needs to get his/her job done successfully.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Employees are quitting left and right

Best Summer Internship Out There!

Former Intern - Corporate Itern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Corporate Itern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

While interning at Hyatt Corporate I gained an abundance of business skills and experience which played an integral role in getting a full time position upon graduation. Hyatt makes employees feel important treats everyone with respect and positivity. The energy at the Corporate office is contagious and I would love to return.

Cons

There is a large gap in positions between interns/ assistants and senior management, making it hard to move up in the organization.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, you make employees feel valued and happy employees leads to better work!

9. Senior Management needs work

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall the workers both in corporate and hotels are very talented and enjoyable to work with. Some great experiences had there and amazing hotel benefits to take advantage of.

Cons

Infighting and insecurity at the top level has caused many talented people to lose their jobs or pushed out.

Advice to Management

Provide more cross-functional advancement opportunities, particularly for individual contributors who played a significant role increasing Hyatt's asset base and portfolio of hotels.

Infformation technology team. Best place to work in Chicago

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New head of group that gets it. Great vision, great execution. Listening culture. Whole department has been restructured and it was finally done right. I've never seen a tech department communicate so well all the way down the organization.

Cons

We are in a different building then the rest of the company, although some of my peers view this as a plus. Hours can be long. Some of the tech we have to support it a little long in the tooth. Head of department seems very comfortable with risk and failure, but the middle managers between him and I are much more conservative, and dare I say afraid for their jobs. CEO seems detached. Structure outside of IT (marketing,finance,operations) needs better leadership

Advice to Management

Speed up the turnover. Some politics in the main building spill over to ours, if you could find a way to manage the inter-department shenanigans this would be the perfect job.

11. Great People and a Good Place to Gain Experience

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people make this a great company to work for in addition to a good work-life balance. Managers are generally engaged and give you increased responsibility if you earn it while supporting development.

Cons

Compensation is not very competitive and limited career growth opportunities. There is definitely a message to employees that you need to leave Hyatt to get promoted. CEO and C-Leadership are very detached and there is a lot of politics between departments that slow down progress

Advice to Management

Retain top talent by paying more competitively and offering more growth opportunities Speed up turnover for management and try and manager inter-department politics better

Showing 58 of 1,022 reviews