Hyatt

Hyatt Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian

Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, fantastic coworkers, great company"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Career Growth, great people, ability to move around the country"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Managers work long hours for little compensation"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Little to no work life balance, and pay is generally low, depending on the property you are at"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hyatt Reservation Center in Omaha is horribly run

General Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Omaha, NE

I worked at Hyatt part-time for less than a year

ProsThey do offer perks (like gift cards that are taxed as bonus wages) and free room nights per year (however you are not really given any time off to use them, and they are rarely available).

ConsEverything about this place is wrong. Management makes horrible policy decisions which causes a mass exodus - then they punish everyone left by making them work mandatory overtime and making even worse policy decisions. The turnover rate is ridiculous even for a call center. They spend little to no time actually supporting the overworked and over stressed phone agents. More time is spent coming up with complex stat requirements so they can fire people for being a fraction of a percentage off in call time or conversion.

What's that you say? Our guests have a 20 minute hold time today? I can't do anything about that right now, I'm trying to fire this guy because he only converted 40% of his calls into reservations last call cycle! The nerve of this guy!

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone downstairs and start from scratch. HR, Training, Data Services, EVERYONE. What you are doing isn't working and it's obvious to everyone except management. You spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to work your employees more and pay them less. You put almost zero effort into making the center itself run better (to assist the guests!). Your reservation system is ancient and archaic and sadly lacking in just about every way possible. If you want to be a HIGH END HOTEL maybe you should spend some of that money into your software systems.

Flag Review

Hyatt VP Talent Management responded to this review

Apr 14, 2014

We are sorry that you did not have a good experience with us. At Hyatt it is our number one priority to take care of our employees and our customers. The policies and procedures that we have in ... More

good experience

Middle Management (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood benefits, great knowledgeable colleagues

Consvery political environment, decision making at the very top

Advice to Senior Managementinvolve employees in decision making more

Corporate Intern

I worked at Hyatt

Prosyou gain experience and good learning knowledge

Consmanagement is a bit uptight and unfriendly

On a good day, it's a great place to work, on a bad day, it's OK

Monterey, CA

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe employees are very friendly and easy to get along with. the area is beautiful.

Consmanagement do not backup their statements regarding your development and your progress. they are not as easy to talk to.

Advice to Senior ManagementLEAD, Listen, Evaluate, Act and Delight your employees at all times.

Ridiculously frustrating

Guest Services (Former Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I worked at Hyatt full-time for more than a year

ProsNice location in the fastest growing city in the US. Depending on what you do but for me the guest is always the best part of working in a hotel. There's always a few guests that test your patience but for the most part that's why I loved working in hotels. They seem good at promoting within throughout the company if that's something you were interested in.

ConsThis was the 4th hotel I've worked for and by far the one with the least amount of teamwork. Managers were more focused on taking credit for the work that you do then appreciating the work you do for them. I had 4 different managers at a time and they change at least every year. They don't trust the employees that have been doing their job for a long time, even if they've never done the job they somehow think they know how to do it better. Everyone here, and I think the area has something to do with it, is out for themselves and will stab anyone they can in the back if it makes them look better. Completely unprofessional at times, felt like I went back to high school most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your employees and learn that you can't manage everyone the same, people are too different. Learn how to teach instead of just punish for every little mistake. Upper management should trust and listen to department managers but you have to get both sides of the story or you'll just keep losing good employees. I've never in my life in any business or any hotel chain worked with such an unhappy staff. Nobody trusted anyone and most importantly, if things aren't broken stop trying to fix them. Just because your the boss doesn't mean you always have to be right and have the best ideas.

Great company

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of growth opportunity, good pay and benefits, great employee culture.

ConsGrowth is only possible if management will back you. Hours are crazy and vacations are rare.

I have been working at Hyatt full-time

Prosfree rooms are cool, really

Conspay pay pay pay me more

Great company to work for.

I worked at Hyatt full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople, Advancement Opportunities, Company Values

ConsCompensation was not enough for hours worked

Best hotel I've ever worked for.

Bartender (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a union property so we are very well taken care of. Co-workers are friendly. Great location. Guests are pleased.

ConsTrying to get things approved to make changes or improvements to the property takes a lot of time and effort due to the fact that it is a union property.

Sales administrator

I worked at Hyatt

ProsStable job with good hours. Management had a great open door policy.

ConsToo hung up sometimes on "standards", had to take each guest on a tour of the hotel or risk an audit error.

Worked for Hyatt? Contribute to the Community!

Hyatt Videos

Hyatt – Why Work for Us?

We are a global hospitality company with widely recognized, industry leading brands and a tradition of innovation developed over our more than fifty-year history. Our mission is to provide authentic hospitality by… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hyatt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hyatt CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian. All 301 reviews posted anonymously by Hyatt employees.