Hyatt

Hyatt Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian

Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, fantastic coworkers, great company"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Career Growth, great people, ability to move around the country"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Managers work long hours for little compensation"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Little to no work life balance, and pay is generally low, depending on the property you are at"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company!

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hyatt part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to learn as a newer. They have very good training system. Provide enough training time before your work by yourself. Small companies do not have good training.
Good benefits. Simplest one, we can have 3 meals in the employee cafe for free, which a lot of hotels cannot provide.
Nice manager. I got a very nice manager, who has a strong working ability and always encourage the agents.
Nice working environment. All employees in the hotel are very nice. Keep smiling all the time. Feel very comfortable.

ConsFull-time employees cannot get 40 hours working each week. only 32, sometimes less. Some agents say that the payment cannot afford their rent and expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have a advice for F&B. The breakfast in the hotel is too expensive that a lot of guests cannot afford the breakfast and complain about that. Besides the 22 dollars breakfast buffet, we can provide some easy-to-take breakfast with reasonable price.

Associate Manager

Associate Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hyatt full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat perks and a very hospitable environment

ConsOld school, slow moving, different goals among different groups

Advice to Senior ManagementGet all groups/VPs on the same page before pushing down feedback to employees

Staff Accountant

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLots of opportunity for growth.

ConsNot a lot of Hyatt's close to where I live.

Great company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hyatt

ProsCareer Growth, great people, ability to move around the country.

ConsLong Hours, pay sometimes behind other jobs.

Over worked and underpayed

Cook (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHas a family atmosphere at times.
Great people to work with
Small properties like resarts are fun to work at

ConsPay is subpar
Some managers and not suited for the job
at lot of mangers have a bad superiority complex
Have to pay to park
Big properties only care about there Customer Scores and dont recognize employees that wotk hard

Advice to Senior Managementstart actually valuing your employees

Your experience depends on your manager - At my property there were task masters, not leaders!

Gallery Host (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at Hyatt full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to connect with people and serve them. Nice perk of staying at a hotel for only $39 + tax. Small property allows you to get to know your coworkers. Cheap employee meals if you need it.

ConsBeing Egotistical managers vs. leaders was a real problem. Speaking to adults like children and ignoring your requests for tools to do your job. Pay is terrible - $10/hr cannot pay your housing and other expenses and forget a car payment in Raleigh. They also seem to hire people who are in dire situation or lack education and have no where else to really go. Sad situation. Terrible excuse for managers!! Stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers how to lead and engage people. Get them into people development training. Just telling people what to do and not supporting them can really harm your business. At my property there was a lot of sabotage and giving away products unnecessarily because people felt disregarded and ignored.

Banquet Server

Banquet Server (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat for young college kids who have a degree in Hospitality Management and don't care if the pay is low. There are good people there. Wide back hallways that make for good working areas. Good stewarding staff that supports our department. I believe the guests generally have a good experience with Hyatt. Our department manager is generally very cooperative about honoring day off requests. Our department head generally makes good decisions. It is a beautiful property.

ConsThe hotel is very stingy with employee hotel comps -- I have been able to get a comp room about one time out of ten tries for my trips over the past two and a half years. Even when there is space available, Hyatt often tries to grab an extra $120.00 or so per night. Extremely low pay for banquet servers -- compared to cities with a cost of living only 50% more like Chicago or Los Angeles, we make one-third of what they earn. The hotel keeps all the banquet tips (of the 22% service charge amounts) and lets misinformed meeting planners prohibit tip jars on banquet bars. Room Service and lobby bar employees are cheated out of tips with unfair tip-pool/wage formulas. Most employees work two or three jobs to maintain a reasonable quality of life because the pay is so low. Unlike some hotels, ours charges $1.50 for employee meals (the food is lousy to mediocre). Those of us who drive, pay $2.50 to $5.00 a day for parking -- some in our department can only afford to take the bus instead of affording a car. Roaches -- we have severe problems with roaches and back-of-the-house drains. Unlike most hotel banquet servers in the US, we have to haul and set-up various specialized banquet tables. About 50% of supervisors and managers, even upper managers, have very little on-the-job experience and/or lack common sense. Employees are often talked down to and are subject to many frivolous write-ups that are routinely rubber stamped by upper management when challenged. We are told by management that if employees discuss their dissatisfactions with their jobs among fellow staff members, that it may be considered "harassment."

Advice to Senior ManagementStop stealing our tips. Pay us a decent wage. Hire more competent managers and supervisors.

Quality Managers please!!

ProsGreat benefits
People who love to interact with customers and people who love what they do.
Family culture
Diverse
Awesome locations

ConsA couple of bad apples as managers dragging others down
Very hard to be promoted if you aren't part of the wolf pack eventhough we are told everyone gets a fair chance
Senior Managers who have been in their position forever and refuse to change things or be innovative

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease promote from within and promote employees who are an asset to the company not only the employees that managers hang out with or their drinking buddy. The company is loosing quality employees because of bad managers.

Extremely unorganized and unhelpful

Outlets Supervisor (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Hyatt full-time for less than a year

ProsOverall Hyatt is a great company to work for and my 2 years prior to my experience at Grand Hyatt Denver were fantastic.

- Great benefits, free room nights, ect.
- Great room for career and personal growth
- Free meals
- Mostly friendly staff

Cons- Unorganized
- Almost no training
- No coaching
- Departments refuse to work together
- Terrible employee morale
- Long and odd hours - short turnarounds on shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure your new hires or transfers are provided the proper tools to perform the tasks they are assigned. You can't expect someone to just walk in and know it all.

As a part of Hyatt, your treated the with the same level of hospitality as if you were a guest!

New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHyatt is more than a company its a family. The people here truly care about one another and look to help in any way possible. As an overall company there is a strong emphaisis on internal development and promoting from within. Transfer and travel opportunities are endless and every manager I have had does whatever they can to help get me to the next level.

ConsIt can be hard to tell the difference between some of the brands Hyatt has, (ie. Regency vs Grand, vs Andaz) this can make it tougher to determine which is the best fit for you. I guess you can just work your way through all of them!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep developing the talent from within. There are to many companies that over look the potential talent that is already in the company. Kudos to the way you take care of your own.

Worked for Hyatt? Contribute to the Community!

Hyatt Videos

Hyatt – Why Work for Us?

We are a global hospitality company with widely recognized, industry leading brands and a tradition of innovation developed over our more than fifty-year history. Our mission is to provide authentic hospitality by… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hyatt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hyatt CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian. All 306 reviews posted anonymously by Hyatt employees.