Hyatt

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian

Mark S. Hoplamazian

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very family orientated and great work environment.

Hotel Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe people that you work with. It is like you are working with your best friends.

ConsThis comes with the industry, but your work/life balance can really trend towards the work aspect.

Amazing Company, Amazing City

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe Hyatt is a wonderful company to work for because they really help each individual reach their goals. The management really takes the time to make a connection with each employee which makes coming to work easy and fun. It also helps that there are so many benefits for employees, including complimentary nights and friends and family rates.

ConsOne of the cons of working in a hotel is that you don't have regualr 9-5 work hours and holidays and weekends are pretty much non-existent (but that comes with working in hospitality).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe warmth and genuine interest that management exudes to it's employees is the best I have ever experienced.

For being such a large company, Hyatt makes their employees feel like family.

Assistant Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat people in all departments. Comparable compensation to other hotel companies. Places value in people.

ConsNot great time off policies. A lot of focus on numbers rather than how the job is being done.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to remember the people and the "bottom of the totem pole" and make sure they are recognized for everything they do to make you look good. Restructure the time off policy to a more European view!

Flag Review
    Hyatt Director of Recruiting responded to this review May 27, 2014 EditDelete
    The feeling like family is common at Hyatt and one of the reason many stick around. Thank you for commenting on it.
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

impersonal

Hostess (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

Prosgreat metropolitan areas to work in

Consdistracted and unreachable management. High expectations with impersonal, inadequate training.

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in your associates and empower them to make business decisions instead of unsuccessful micro management

Extremely unorganized and unhelpful

Outlets Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsOverall Hyatt is a great company to work for and my 2 years prior to my experience at Grand Hyatt Denver were fantastic.

- Great benefits, free room nights, ect.
    - Great room for career and personal growth
    - Free meals
    - Mostly friendly staff

Cons- Unorganized
    - Almost no training
    - No coaching
    - Departments refuse to work together
    - Terrible employee morale
    - Long and odd hours - short turnarounds on shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure your new hires or transfers are provided the proper tools to perform the tasks they are assigned. You can't expect someone to just walk in and know it all.

Average hotel company, maybe a little better.

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGenerally speaking the GMs are better than other companies. You do get 12 comp room nights a year.

ConsThe downside of the GMs being better as noted above is that if you get you get a bad one you're doomed because they will never fire one. Hyatt is one of the smaller hotel companies so not as many opportunities to transfer or use travel benefits.

Very good work environment

Banquet Server (Current Employee)

Prosthey care about people
    they empower their employees

Conshard to move up from a line employee to management

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp the people who want to learn and grow reach their goals

Awesome benefits. Management was terrible.

Bartender (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

Pros12 free nights after a year of employment.

ConsUnexperienced managers that were thrown into management positions with no experience at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Generally good,lots of mgmt turn over in my dept.

Banquet Steward (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat people to work with ,but,, better training needed to MAKE workers use their heads

Conslots of area to cover ,with lots of bnqt. spaces

Advice to Senior Managementtrust your people to do their jobs

Hated this job from day 1

Server (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe pay can be good. And some of the people that work there are great people whom I will miss. The diversity in backgrounds is impressive.

ConsManagement has its hands tied because upper management is all about the dollars at the end of the day. It is an environment that kills creativity, does not promote individualism even though they claim to. My department was understaffed for all of 2011, yet we were still blamed for every single little thing that could have been avoided or fixed if we had just hired a couple of more people.
      The program they have to train managers who are still young and looking for a career in the hotel business is borderline incompetent, taking young people with no experience and putting them in a frantic high paced work environment. They have to manage people that have much more experience. The problem with this is that most of these fake managers don't have a clue as to what to do, or how to be efficient, so they just get frustrated and start barking orders.
      I regret ever working here. Not worth it. Don't bother.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times. I have never seen a place that despises its management so much. If you stop caring about the people who get up at 4 am to work for you eventually they will stop caring about the job.

Worked for Hyatt? Contribute to the Community!

Hyatt Videos

Hyatt – Why Work for Us?

We are a global hospitality company with widely recognized, industry leading brands and a tradition of innovation developed over our more than fifty-year history. Our mission is to provide authentic hospitality by… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hyatt reviews and ratings in Denver, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hyatt CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Hyatt employees.