Hyatt

Updated September 30, 2014
3.8

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian
Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
  • Hyatt gives great benefits and really care about their employees (in 41 reviews)

• The company tries hard to keep employees happy, and provides fairly good benefits (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance, it can bevery hard to make plans around your work schedule (in 29 reviews)

• Extremely long hours hours for a handful of positions (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Company takes care of Employees who work hard

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

Free Hotel rooms throughout the company and good benefits. Paid Vacation after 5 years 16 days plus paid sick time.

Cons

365 days a year open to guests. Guests 1st. Life balance is only a priority to associates.

The management, colleagues and attitude.

Current Employee - Gallery Host  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Gallery Host in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can only speak for my property. I'm a Gallery host at a select service Hyatt place. My GM, both AGM's, Director of sales and sales associate are amazing. Especially my GM. Not only does he have possibly the coolest personality I've met in a gm, but he knows his stuff and he cares. Every morning he checks up on all of us and knows if there's something wrong. I turned down an opportunity to become sheriff, was offered 15k and a unheard of deal to be promoted quickly. All because of my GM. Now, my leads are just as amazing. My colleagues are only great because of my attitude. There's always new employees coming in because A.) Get weeded out B.) Move to another Hyatt because there's plenty of them in my area, some offer more pay because they are franchises more convenient in distance, or to a higher position. My AGM who hires the new associates does a good job, they are usually ambitious, open minded, and genuinely care. Most are either in school getting degrees in other fields or transferring from other hotel chains trying to climb higher. Out of all my associates I'm the one who travels the most. I fly literally everywhere because I have flight benefits. I go in and out of Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Miami, New York, dang basically a lot of places because of friends I made previously before I got the job and moved to my area. My AGM ALWAYS allows me to go and accepts my requests time off. If you pull your weight, follow their easy guidelines for checking guests in and out. Getting along with your coworkers, then honestly you will have so much freedom. I may have supervisors but I'm treated like a king because I'm trusted. I can't speak for all hyatts just yet because I've only been in one property for about 6 months, but it's an amazing job. After one year you get paid time off and the amount of days grow each year, 12 comp nights for full time positions, 6 for part time. 401k and all that jazz. The discounted rate isn't the greatest but damn it's better than paying full price for unknown chains when you're traveling. Hyatts are always near highways or on great locations. I go to the gym and trader Joes every day after work, put gas in my truck at Costco. Malls, downtown, campus are all 10 mins away. I'll add some more icing on the cake, we have so many hook ups that come with the job. We have a car service guy that has his own company when we get calls from guests that need a ride we call him. He pays us $40 cash for like every 4 guests. And he'll give us free rides if ever needed when we're out with our friends clubbing. Restaurants always come in bringing food and deals for us because we help them out. Businesses treating us like royalty giving us their products because we are seen as marketers for them. All we do is front desk yet we're God's to them. There's so much perks, I can go on and on. The people I've met... Incredible. I thought I was intelligent, but hearing stories from guests and advice I've received from celebrities, CEO's, etc. Are outstanding.

Cons

From my understanding there's two ways to be promoted in hospitality. Transfer to other properties or to other companies and keep doing it. Don't stay at one property. My coworker "Queen Bee" as I call her has worked at my property for 6 years and has never been promoted. She loves it that way, but she knows she could have climbed so high if she moved properties. My GM, mostly all of them transfered from other Hyatt'. My director of sales and GM started from the way bottom. Sales guy was a housekeeper... A housekeeper at 16 and now is banking because of his hard work... Surely being likeable with the higher ups may help, but working hard and getting high scores and making the guests mention your name in surveys is what will make you great. I plan on transferring to different properties every year not only because I want to climb, but because I need to experience all levels.

Ideal job for college students and hospitality majors

Current Employee - Gallery Host  in  Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Gallery Host in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hyatt's organizational culture is very admirable. Associates. regardless of title/position, are encouraged and empowered to make a difference in the lives of guests by almost any means necessary. Benefits available to associates are great, especially for frequent travelers.

Cons

High management turnover rate and employees are constantly understaffed and overworked. Personal growth opportunities are available, but with a limited selection. Growth inside the brand is very difficult unless you work for a AAA Diamond rated property.

Hyatt Place brand needs to be revised. There is a high turnover rate of employees and management for a reason. For being a limited service property, associates perform full-service duties for significantly less compensation. Recognize and award dedicated employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

analyst

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

chill culture, everyone is nice and friendly

Cons

work is a little repetitive

Not bad to work for, used to be Westin Hotel

Current Employee - Security Officer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunches. Benefits are good.

Cons

Unless your work in the office area's, expect for your hours be reduced if business is slow.

Leading company with great innovation

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to work and grow your career

Cons

If you are salary focused this isn't the company for you

Very nice work environment.

Former Employee - Hostess  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Hostess in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hyatt part-time for more than a year

Pros

My supervisors were amazing to work with and everyone there was very accommodating with scheduling for school and took my opinions into consideration when I had an issue

Cons

Some of the guests in the hotel weren't the best people to be around
    Not very good starting pay, but just barely enough to make ends meet.

Hyatt Feels Like Family

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

Hyatt is a company that really takes care of their associates. From the great benefits to the investment on professional growth of their associates Hyatt values their most important asset:it's employees!

Cons

If you want to move up quickly in the company you will have to look at transferring to various properties.

Was a great experience, I would work for them again

Former Employee - Restaurant Server  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Restaurant Server in Tampa, FL

I worked at Hyatt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits such as paid time off, hotel stays, health insurance and other discounts on goods and services

Cons

They do a lot to promote from within

A great place to work. Friendly positive people, outstanding guests, great owner and CEO, great benefits.

Current Employee - Security Officer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Hyatt full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Company culture is like no other I've experienced. I have never worked at a place with so many positive, upbeat and friendly people. The perks and benefits are great but mostly it's about the people. .

Cons

My particular Hotel is over 35 years old. They have done an excellent job maintaining it but I believe it may be time for a renovation. Good news is I am told that one is scheduled to begin in soon.

Don't change a thing; you're doing great. Thank you.

Worked for Hyatt? Contribute to the Community!