Hyatt

Updated February 26, 2015
3.8

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian
Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
  • Hyatt gives great benefits and really care about their employees (in 43 reviews)

• The company tries hard to keep employees happy, and provides fairly good benefits (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance, it can bevery hard to make plans around your work schedule (in 30 reviews)

• Extremely long hours hours for a handful of positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly Atmosphere

Former Employee - Restaurant Supervisor
    Former Employee - Restaurant Supervisor

I worked at Hyatt

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. Hyatt hires a lot of international staff for seasonal positions so I was exposed to different cultures and it was really interesting to hear about the experiences and lives of the staff from other countries. Hyatt strongly encourages a five day work week, so I always had two days off a week. The GM was always around. He was very friendly and really wanted to get to know the staff working for him.

Cons

Difficult hours. You have to be working in a department such as sales or finance if you want normal business hours. I was working anywhere from 6AM to 11PM any five days of the week. After that exposure, I'm looking for more stability and consistency in my next job.

One of my favorite jobs to date

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

The benefits are excellent and the management staff really care. As an hourly employee they take your opinions and turn them into possibilities. The work environment is fun and lively and my job is always changing day to day.

Cons

In any hospitality job there are challenges of balancing life and work. You work weekends and holidays but coming into the job I was expecting that. Even then, management are really good about working with you.

Fair workplace with relaxed environment

Current Employee - Bartender in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Bartender in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management isn't overly motivated by $$ performance and employees have decent benefits and are listened to for the most prt

Cons

Management works long hours as in most hospitality jobs and many employees take advantage of relaxed environment

Recognize valuable employees and allow them to move up as

If you are looking to travel and build your managerial skills, Hyatt is a great hotel company to work for!

Former Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Manager in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Hyatt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hyatt had a great culture that valued a unique and genuine guest experience in addition to caring deeply about employee satisfaction and happiness in the workplace. The upper management team and the HR team were very creative in their methods to inspire employees to do their jobs in the most sincere and impactful way. Employees were always appreciated and recognized through various work events and awards. I also appreciated that Hyatt is one of the smallest of the large hotel chains, so as a whole the company was more innovative and more capable of implementing new ideas and concepts over a larger scale. There is also a lot of potential for growth as long as you don't mind bouncing around between properties!

Cons

There is a lot of young and hungry management, which is great but it walks a fine line of producing overly worked and exhausted management. For new management, it is not heard of to be working 14 hr days since a lot of us end up wearing a lot of different hats, it becomes difficult to maintain a work/life balance. For the hours and effort put in, there also were not a whole lot of financial incentives such as raises or bonuses. Even promotions came with very unimpressive salary increase. I dismissed this just because I was thankful for the opportunity for the experience. Leadership was always inspiring, but some managers couldn't walk the talk. However, I'm sure this is the case in the majority of large companies. As far as promotions, as I mentioned above, as long as you are willing to pick up and move! I myself had many great opportunities within the one property, however many other colleagues told me Hyatt stood for "Have Your A** There Tomorrow".

Use your resources! Hotels are like miniature communities and it really pays off to have a friend in every department. One you get to know the property better, and two even if you don't know the answer to something, you will always know who to turn to.

Best managers!

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Managers actually are about you!

Cons

You cannot move up the ladder easily.

Awesome managers!

I have had a world of opportunities working for this company.

Current Employee - Event Coordinator
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

Opportunities. Learning valuable skills. Important contacts

Cons

They do not pay as much but excellent benefits

Prep /pantry cook

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

I love making a meal and the quest appreciate your services

Cons

Maybe a quest ask for a meal and when they received it they changeover mind and want something else

Just love and appreciate your job and have fun with it

Any manager position

Current Contractor - Any Managegment Position in Orlando, FL
    Current Contractor - Any Managegment Position in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hyatt as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

have over 20 years of management experience in restaurant/bar/hotel/retail/design

Cons

I don't recalled having any cons

Work with your employees

Good Company

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

nice and smart people to work with

Cons

limited growth opportunities in the long term

don't get sucked in

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

Ability to advance from within

Cons

-Little to no formal training upon being hired
    -Thrown to the wolves to "figure it out on your own by trial and error" (sink or swim philosophy)
    -Upper management doesn't practice what they preach

Pay employees more in order to retain good employees