Hyatt

Hyatt Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian

Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
  • Hyatt gives great benefits and really care about their employees(in 37 reviews)

• The company tries hard to keep employees happy, and provides fairly good benefits(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance, it can bevery hard to make plans around your work schedule(in 26 reviews)

• Extremely long hours hours for a handful of positions(in 46 reviews)

I work with some of the best people in the US. I am surrounded by motivated individuals with common goals....success.

Pastry Cook II (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

Pros401k, PTO, vacation, hotel stay perks

ConsNone at this time, the experience has been great.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot at this time.

Catering Sales Manager

Catering Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCompany has great benefits, genuinely seems to care about work-life balance and offers ability to move up, especially if you are willing to relocate.

ConsLots of time and energy on corporate mandated programs that come and go with little to no real impact. Pay is lower than what you could make elsewhere, but they do justify this with work/life balance and nice benefits. Also, there seems to be a trend towards promoting away "problem children" particularly on the Operations side of things.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to spend less time with the corporate mumbo-jumbo and more time genuinely giving people the freedom to do their jobs. Also, look at the hotels/positions that are chronically understaffed and find a way to fix it.

Director of Human Resources

Director of Rooms (Former Employee)

ProsPromote from within. Cohesive team. Good communication. Positive environment.

ConsLong hours. Pay could have been better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Infformation technology team. Best place to work in Chicago

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNew head of group that gets it. Great vision, great execution. Listening culture. Whole department has been restructured and it was finally done right. I've never seen a tech department communicate so well all the way down the organization.

ConsWe are in a different building then the rest of the company, although some of my peers view this as a plus. Hours can be long. Some of the tech we have to support it a little long in the tooth. Head of department seems very comfortable with risk and failure, but the middle managers between him and I are much more conservative, and dare I say afraid for their jobs. CEO seems detached. Structure outside of IT (marketing,finance,operations) needs better leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeed up the turnover. Some politics in the main building spill over to ours, if you could find a way to manage the inter-department shenanigans this would be the perfect job.

Human Resources

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsHyatt truly cares about its employees. I felt this from the corporate office to the HR team on site. They understand that importance of employee engagement and work towards increasing these rates. The customer experience is dependent on this. The benefits were great. Hyatt offers hotel discounts and complimentary rooms. This is something that other hotel chains are no longer offering.

ConsThe team I worked on was understaffed for over 1 year. I worked a lot of overtime and learned much more than I would have otherwise. In the end I am not so sure it was a bad thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue offering comp rooms. This is such a perk for all staff form valet to executives. It is appreciated and something everyone enjoys. Town hall meetings are also helpful and an overall best practice. Communicate to staff the initiatives, goals, and direction for the hotel occasionally. This will only help them align their work with these larger goals.

One big family

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat perks
    Family feeling
    Great learning experience
    Amazing company to work for

ConsHard to get promoted unless someone leaves, unless you want to relocate

Overall positive, but with some lofty caveats.

Banquets (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

Pros-Great Benefits Package
        Highlights include: Tiered health insurance - Priced well for associate only, reasonable for associates' families, dental coverage - affordable pricing for decent coverage, 12 free nights stay per year - with some restrictions, fair salary for the market.
    -Good people who work hard for their money!

Cons-Very lofty expectations from upper management, with limited resources available
    -Extremely long hours hours for a handful of positions
    -Limited advancement opportunities - too little consideration for outside experience in the field, and too heavy consideration for mediocre performance of tenured employees, and salaried positions being replaced with less costly, hourly employees willing to do the work for a chance at advancement and a title
    -Very corporate environment - Very common model these days - expecting constantly increasing productivity, with fewer and fewer resources given - lots of "feel-good" programs in place

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more willing to pay good people out of the coffers - not every position can bank on guests' generosity.

Engineering

ProsGreat Hours, Free Lunch, Amazing Work Environment, Paid Leave, Free Nights

ConsPay is not that great. Only eligible for one raise a year

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise Pay...

Very family orientated and great work environment.

Hotel Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe people that you work with. It is like you are working with your best friends.

ConsThis comes with the industry, but your work/life balance can really trend towards the work aspect.

Awesome place!!

Gallery Host (Current Employee) Lone Tree, CO

ProsGood benefits, really good pay and hours, over-time is usual, very rewarding work, too!

ConsNon-traditional hours, long work days, high-stress situations possible

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get trainers that enjoy training.

Worked for Hyatt? Contribute to the Community!