Hyatt

www.hyatt.com

Hyatt Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
1,000 Reviews

4.0
1,000 Reviews

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian
Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
  • Hyatt gives great benefits and really care about their employees (in 37 reviews)

• The company tries hard to keep employees happy, and provides fairly good benefits (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much work-life balance but that comes with the territory in hospitality (in 27 reviews)

• Extremely long hours hours for a handful of positions (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Absolutely Amazing

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Every single manager is dedicated to helping you expand and learn.

Cons

Many hours including back to back hours. Not so bad though if you enjoy your job!

Be friendly and flexible!

Great Company

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in New York, NY

Pros

Good pay and great hotel.

Cons

Long hours, late nights, can get crazy during peak times

Integrate departments better.

Associate Manager

Former Employee - Associate Manager
    Former Employee - Associate Manager

Pros

Great perks and a very hospitable environment

Cons

Old school, slow moving, different goals among different groups

Get all groups/VPs on the same page before pushing down feedback to employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company!

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Orlando, FL

Pros

Great opportunity to learn as a newer. They have very good training system. Provide enough training time before your work by yourself. Small companies do not have good training.
    Good benefits. Simplest one, we can have 3 meals in the employee cafe for free, which a lot of hotels cannot provide.
    Nice manager. I got a very nice manager, who has a strong working ability and always encourage the agents.
    Nice working environment. All employees in the hotel are very nice. Keep smiling all the time. Feel very comfortable.

Cons

Full-time employees cannot get 40 hours working each week. only 32, sometimes less. Some agents say that the payment cannot afford their rent and expenses.

I have a advice for F&B. The breakfast in the hotel is too expensive that a lot of guests cannot afford the breakfast and complain about that. Besides the 22 dollars breakfast buffet, we can provide some easy-to-take breakfast with reasonable price.

Great company!

Pros

Career Growth, great people, ability to move around the country.

Cons

Long Hours, pay sometimes behind other jobs.

Staff Accountant

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Not a lot of Hyatt's close to where I live.

Banquet Server

Current Employee - Banquet Server  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Banquet Server in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great for young college kids who have a degree in Hospitality Management and don't care if the pay is low. There are good people there. Wide back hallways that make for good working areas. Good stewarding staff that supports our department. I believe the guests generally have a good experience with Hyatt. Our department manager is generally very cooperative about honoring day off requests. Our department head generally makes good decisions. It is a beautiful property.

Cons

The hotel is very stingy with employee hotel comps -- I have been able to get a comp room about one time out of ten tries for my trips over the past two and a half years. Even when there is space available, Hyatt often tries to grab an extra $120.00 or so per night. Extremely low pay for banquet servers -- compared to cities with a cost of living only 50% more like Chicago or Los Angeles, we make one-third of what they earn. The hotel keeps all the banquet tips (of the 22% service charge amounts) and lets misinformed meeting planners prohibit tip jars on banquet bars. Room Service and lobby bar employees are cheated out of tips with unfair tip-pool/wage formulas. Most employees work two or three jobs to maintain a reasonable quality of life because the pay is so low. Unlike some hotels, ours charges $1.50 for employee meals (the food is lousy to mediocre). Those of us who drive, pay $2.50 to $5.00 a day for parking -- some in our department can only afford to take the bus instead of affording a car. Roaches -- we have severe problems with roaches and back-of-the-house drains. Unlike most hotel banquet servers in the US, we have to haul and set-up various specialized banquet tables. About 50% of supervisors and managers, even upper managers, have very little on-the-job experience and/or lack common sense. Employees are often talked down to and are subject to many frivolous write-ups that are routinely rubber stamped by upper management when challenged. We are told by management that if employees discuss their dissatisfactions with their jobs among fellow staff members, that it may be considered "harassment."

Stop stealing our tips. Pay us a decent wage. Hire more competent managers and supervisors.

Good Ol' Boy mentalitly

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great company with great benefits. Many of the associates were a lot of fun to deal with. Advancement possibilities are abound.

Cons

You are at the mercy of the managers above you. My F&B director is clueless to what is actually going on in his own outlets and routinely makes decisions and implements policies without sticking around to see how such things pan out. Leaving supervisors and middle management to shoulder the responsibility.

Value you your middle management … Shoulder responsibility and have their backs. Work an occasional weekend or once a week stick around to see how things run during the evenings. The F&B department is particularly inept

Good Place to Start Career

Pros

Managers want to see you move up and will help you get there. Several opportunities for advancement. Great hotel discounts.

Cons

A lot of high school type drama behind closed doors.

None.

Quality Managers please!!

Pros

Great benefits
    People who love to interact with customers and people who love what they do.
    Family culture
    Diverse
    Awesome locations

Cons

A couple of bad apples as managers dragging others down
    Very hard to be promoted if you aren't part of the wolf pack eventhough we are told everyone gets a fair chance
    Senior Managers who have been in their position forever and refuse to change things or be innovative

Please promote from within and promote employees who are an asset to the company not only the employees that managers hang out with or their drinking buddy. The company is loosing quality employees because of bad managers.

Worked for Hyatt? Contribute to the Community!