Hyatt

www.hyatt.com

Hyatt Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Hyatt gives great benefits and really care about their employees (in 37 reviews)

• The company tries hard to keep employees happy, and provides fairly good benefits (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much work-life balance but that comes with the territory in hospitality (in 27 reviews)

• Extremely long hours hours for a handful of positions (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Absolutely Amazing

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsEvery single manager is dedicated to helping you expand and learn.

ConsMany hours including back to back hours. Not so bad though if you enjoy your job!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe friendly and flexible!

Associate Manager

Associate Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat perks and a very hospitable environment

ConsOld school, slow moving, different goals among different groups

Advice to Senior ManagementGet all groups/VPs on the same page before pushing down feedback to employees

Good company!

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat opportunity to learn as a newer. They have very good training system. Provide enough training time before your work by yourself. Small companies do not have good training.
    Good benefits. Simplest one, we can have 3 meals in the employee cafe for free, which a lot of hotels cannot provide.
    Nice manager. I got a very nice manager, who has a strong working ability and always encourage the agents.
    Nice working environment. All employees in the hotel are very nice. Keep smiling all the time. Feel very comfortable.

ConsFull-time employees cannot get 40 hours working each week. only 32, sometimes less. Some agents say that the payment cannot afford their rent and expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have a advice for F&B. The breakfast in the hotel is too expensive that a lot of guests cannot afford the breakfast and complain about that. Besides the 22 dollars breakfast buffet, we can provide some easy-to-take breakfast with reasonable price.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood pay and great hotel.

ConsLong hours, late nights, can get crazy during peak times

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate departments better.

Banquet Server

Banquet Server (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat for young college kids who have a degree in Hospitality Management and don't care if the pay is low. There are good people there. Wide back hallways that make for good working areas. Good stewarding staff that supports our department. I believe the guests generally have a good experience with Hyatt. Our department manager is generally very cooperative about honoring day off requests. Our department head generally makes good decisions. It is a beautiful property.

ConsThe hotel is very stingy with employee hotel comps -- I have been able to get a comp room about one time out of ten tries for my trips over the past two and a half years. Even when there is space available, Hyatt often tries to grab an extra $120.00 or so per night. Extremely low pay for banquet servers -- compared to cities with a cost of living only 50% more like Chicago or Los Angeles, we make one-third of what they earn. The hotel keeps all the banquet tips (of the 22% service charge amounts) and lets misinformed meeting planners prohibit tip jars on banquet bars. Room Service and lobby bar employees are cheated out of tips with unfair tip-pool/wage formulas. Most employees work two or three jobs to maintain a reasonable quality of life because the pay is so low. Unlike some hotels, ours charges $1.50 for employee meals (the food is lousy to mediocre). Those of us who drive, pay $2.50 to $5.00 a day for parking -- some in our department can only afford to take the bus instead of affording a car. Roaches -- we have severe problems with roaches and back-of-the-house drains. Unlike most hotel banquet servers in the US, we have to haul and set-up various specialized banquet tables. About 50% of supervisors and managers, even upper managers, have very little on-the-job experience and/or lack common sense. Employees are often talked down to and are subject to many frivolous write-ups that are routinely rubber stamped by upper management when challenged. We are told by management that if employees discuss their dissatisfactions with their jobs among fellow staff members, that it may be considered "harassment."

Advice to Senior ManagementStop stealing our tips. Pay us a decent wage. Hire more competent managers and supervisors.

Great company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCareer Growth, great people, ability to move around the country.

ConsLong Hours, pay sometimes behind other jobs.

Staff Accountant

ProsLots of opportunity for growth.

ConsNot a lot of Hyatt's close to where I live.

As a part of Hyatt, your treated the with the same level of hospitality as if you were a guest!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsHyatt is more than a company its a family. The people here truly care about one another and look to help in any way possible. As an overall company there is a strong emphaisis on internal development and promoting from within. Transfer and travel opportunities are endless and every manager I have had does whatever they can to help get me to the next level.

ConsIt can be hard to tell the difference between some of the brands Hyatt has, (ie. Regency vs Grand, vs Andaz) this can make it tougher to determine which is the best fit for you. I guess you can just work your way through all of them!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep developing the talent from within. There are to many companies that over look the potential talent that is already in the company. Kudos to the way you take care of your own.

Great work environment

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood team work
    Interesting Characters to work with.

ConsNo parking but who has free parking in the downtown area.

Overall a great environment to work in

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe employees are all wonderful and there is a lot of room for growth.

ConsSome individuals are over worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate more assignments to different departments and do not let it be the responsibility of one individual

Worked for Hyatt? Contribute to the Community!