Hyatt

Updated October 22, 2014
3.8

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian
Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
  • Hyatt gives great benefits and really care about their employees (in 42 reviews)

• The company tries hard to keep employees happy, and provides fairly good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance, it can bevery hard to make plans around your work schedule (in 29 reviews)

• Extremely long hours hours for a handful of positions (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Circus-like environment at The Driskill
    BIG disappointment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Hyatt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

a pretty physical environment because it is a historic hotel

Cons

High turnover throughout entire hotel. Also, working for managers who do not know what they are doing. as if this is their first rodeo, and in a lot of their cases, it actually is because Hyatt promotes inexperienced employees to be managers who dont know what they are doing and who ending up failing. Really juvenile atmosphere. Bad managers, an even worse leadership team who are supposed to be a source of inspiration, but who are actually very disappointing because they are narrow minded and cannot think outside themselves long enough to have a vision.

Consider LISTENING to others, developing yourselves before you think you can develop others, you are doing a lousy job and ruining what used to be a great propery. Seems like everyone in town is under the impression the hotel is on a downslide.W

Oct 20, 2014Director of Recruiting

W, as the General Manager of The Driskill, I wish to thank you for taking time to provide feedback. I take your comments as a priority. As a leader at The Driskill, I am sorry that your ... More

Plenty of work, poor pay

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

I enjoyed meeting new people and interacting with them. I received benefits and discounts. I enjoyed the busy atmosphere when I had a strong staff working.

Cons

Advancement here is a joke. They wouldn't let me be a manager because I was in school. I only received a $0.90 raise after working there two and a half years and worked really hard. If you want to make a living, do not work here. Management is always changing and they typically write you up for menial things. If you need a second job it would be perfect but as a primary forget it. This place pays pennies.

Stop overreacting about the smallest stuff and compliment people on their accomplishments. Stop belittling people and help out. It's okay for a manager to pick up a broom or mop once in awhile. Humble yourselves!

eventful

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Hyatt full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the pros of working at the Hyatt regency jersey city is being your own manager handling guest relation issues.

Cons

The management staff depend on the employees to do their job

upper management didn't care about their employees and safety

You can do better

Current Employee - Line Cook
    Current Employee - Line Cook

I have been working at Hyatt full-time

Pros

Freedom in a lot of things as far as the approach in how to do something, only worked 40 hour weeks

Cons

Untrained un-experienced lower management, upper management ignorant of any problems. Does not invest in it's own employees as much as they brag to. more concerned in saving their budget then supplying proper working conditions. the comp night benefits are very difficult to use and often their hotels still charge for an employee comp night. I was/am doing to work of two promotion levels above me and getting no recognition/compensation in any way. i feel like i could go on for quite a while like this.

A lot of systems at least in my soon to be former department need a total re-haul.. You should really try to be less clueless to the people who work for you.

Not for me

Former Employee - General Engineering Maintenance in Bonita Springs, FL
    Former Employee - General Engineering Maintenance in Bonita Springs, FL

I worked at Hyatt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Guests paid a fair price, Benefits decent, a good lunch that was free, VERY beautiful grounds and building, good PTO.

Cons

I did not happen across the awesome work environment that was boasted. Low wage for my field. Very nit picky, leadership uses positional fear rather than encouragement. Departmental employee count was shrinking, no replacement was on the horizon, open door policy with an unfed animal behind the door. Employee engagement surveys were bribed..(like many companies, they just did not want the truth). Suggestions were quickly dismissed. They did not seem to care about the work/life balance, hence the overused word: Mandatory...which usually meant an extra trip to the property for some 2 to 5 hour meeting or event...and overtime was not offered to compensate the added fuel and time. Constant turmoil between departments. Arrogance congealed with the "good ole boy" attitude created an unsavory stew. And, one of my pet peeves that seems to run rampant in the hospitality industry, placing more concern on a room booked for a corporate individual, than for a full paying guest! When the opportunity to leave arose, I was eager to go...it was not a tough decision!

Where do I start? I would say one phrase: Practice what you preach! Read some of those inspirational posters and statements on the Heart of House walls. Employees don't leave Companies, they leave leaders! RELAX and let the "Family" attitude back into the workplace! At least attempt to make it an enjoyable 40 hours a week!

Awful.

Former Employee - Gallery Host in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Gallery Host in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time

Pros

Nothing positive to say about this place.

Cons

Worst management ever. I had nightmares about this place.

Disorganized

I worked at Hyatt

Pros

no pros this particular property tainted the Hyatt name. Hyatt itself have good benefits for the employees but the work experience really depends on the property and I unfortunately ended up with a bad property

Cons

disorganized management doesn't seem to care about employees. TOO much seniority. Work employees to death. Management say they appreciate the employees, but that is just all talk. Not a very good environment to work. Disappointed because they tainted the Hyatt name

care about the employees and they might actually care about their jobs

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Hyatt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice hotel and lunch is one dollar

Cons

The management team is extremely unprofessional, arrogant, and immature. They are caddy and they allow bullying.

Realize when you have a good employee and appreciate what you have.

Apr 23, 2014VP Talent Management

We are sorry you did not have a good experience with us. If you would like to follow up with us directly please contact us at hyattcareers@hyatt.com. Thanks

Do not work for Hyatt Hotels

Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hyatt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

there are none. this company just wants to chew you up and spit you out. you get a free lunch everyday that is about the only pro I can say about this company.

Cons

watch your back it is a very backstabbing company and boy do they discriminate against older employees. in management you get paid for 40 hours but you are required to work at least 55 hours a week and the pay is not that great.

watch your back. everyone is out to get you and they backstage like you would not believe. The management is told to not care about the customer just get them in the building.

More corrupt than the mafia

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MD

I worked at Hyatt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In a small town with few jobs, you aren't going to have alot of options. At least you get a paycheck.

Cons

Never believe anything you are told. All the talk all day is that they value their employees above all else. I guess they talk about it so much because they are trying to convince themselves. Management will screw you over at every single opportunity.

The place runs with a very elitist culture. Unless you are in the "in" group you are nothing but cannon fodder. The "in" group is primarily management, and a select few favorites.

In most businesses the s--- runs down hill. Here, it is poured down from the penthouse balconies. Friends stab friends in the back just to stay alive.

Quit. Fire yourselves. I've never seen such a large group of incompetent people running a business. At the very least, start being honest about your real values.

May 30, 2014VP Talent Management