Hyatt Reviews

Reset
3.7
Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian
Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
  • From the great benefits to the investment on professional growth of their associates Hyatt values their most important asset:it's employees (in 43 reviews)

• Free Hotel rooms throughout the company and good benefits (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers are not considerate of work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Hospitality industry is hard long hours (in 51 reviews)

Hyatt Place hotel is overworking and UNDERPAYING their Gallery Hosts and Gallery Hosts are fed up!

Current Employee - Gallery Host in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Gallery Host in Auburn Hills, MI

Pros

The benefits, the Hyatt name, my co-workers- the hotel looks nice...that's all I can think of!

Cons

OVERWORKED, UNDERPAID, UNDERSTAFFED- we get paid 10.oo to start and we do EVERYTHING in the hotel except the housekeeping-keep in mind we have a kitchen so the front desk staff does all the regular front desk work AND all the cooking/ cleaning/meetings (catering them and setting up/tearing down/ and we set up the breakfast and tear down breakfast we serve Starbucks specialty coffees and drinks...wine and beer..it goes on and on...for $10 measly dollars an hour- minimum wage is almost that!!!! I was making this much money in HIGH SCHOOL!!!!! I can buy 2 gallons of gas for working 2 hours!!! We are tired and management does not care.

Advice to Management

Hire people to handle ALL work that involves kitchen duties. More staff, a raise, for management to please recognize our efforts . Not even a Merry Christmas at Christmas- no joke! They treat us as we are bottom of the barrel employees when the most of us have seen ALL the departments go through complete and total turnover! We need to make at LEAST 12.00 an hour doing this job! Less is a joke and no one will apply or work here for 10.00 an hour. So we suffer for it- instead of being praised for putting up with the fact that we don't make enough to live on and we can barely get up in the morning from our body aches! We cry to each other because no one else seems to care.

Growing pains...a smallish old-school company that wants to be a leading brand

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Brand recognition and resume building. It's understaffed, so you get a lot of experience doing anything and everything.

Cons

No management leadership, so there is no employee recognition, vision, or creative thinking. The organizational structure is disjointed, so learnings are not shared, career development paths are undefined, and there is no opportunity unless it's convenient for the organization to give it to you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and move more quickly on everything. Make sure your middle management is actually qualified for what they are doing. And implement some checks and balances to ensure that your vision is filtering down to all levels...otherwise it may as well not exist.

3. This job will make you appreciate the 9 to 5 job. TRUST ME!

Current Employee - Front Office Agent in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Front Office Agent in Baltimore, MD

Pros

12 Free hotel stays at any Hyatt in the world. Friendly coworkers

Cons

Horrible Pay Horrible Hours Horrible Health Insurance, Vision, and Dental Horribly antiquated management styles Inconsistent and unfair treatment of employees

Advice to Management

Basically, you just should not work here. Little pay, the minimal hours during the slow season (which grows bigger and bigger with the hospitality industry suffering the way that it is,) and the poor management is just not worth your time.

24 hrs a day: 365 a year.

Current Employee - Director of Resturants in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director of Resturants in Denver, CO

Pros

Working at a high end hotel provides a great deal of entertainment with the general public. You see the best and the worst side of life. If you can get vacation time you also get to travel to any Hyatt and stay for free, pick your location, Paris, LA, New York, you name it.

Cons

The hours are crazy and the turnover of workers ranges from 100 - 200% annually. The general feeling of management is there is always someone looking for a job so there is no need to pay well or treat them well. Every promotion is a chance to lower the pay scale.

Advice to Management

Treat people like they have alife outside the walls of the building. Maybe give people two days in a row off?

Worst job experience ever.

Former Employee - Cocktail Waitress in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Cocktail Waitress in DFW, TX

Pros

Met interesting people traveling. However, weren't allowed to speak to them other than take their order. Even when the place was empty.

Cons

Co workers were all very upright & cold.

Advice to Management

It's a lounge bar. There's no need to be so upright & impersonal.

7. Not worth 3 years of my life and loyalty!

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Morristown, NJ

Pros

The only real pro about working for Hyatt Hotels is the employee room rate and F&B discount at other hotels.

Cons

Do not expect to have a work life balance, especially if you have a family. Associates are insincere and cold.

Advice to Management

Sales Managers are only human and not revenue machines. Quit focusing, constantly pointing out the negatives & recognize the achievements.

Horrible...stay away from this place. Run like a Dictatorship

Former Employee - I Slaved There in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - I Slaved There in Washington, DC

Pros

Easily accessible by the metro

Cons

Where do I start? All of the management is out for themselves. They don't care about your advancement, only theirs. They will tell you one thing and then if it goes wrong, they will say they never said it. Expect to work at least 70 hours a week if a manager. Wouldn't let me take time off after I had 2 deaths in my family, "Sorry to hear about that, back to work." There are much better hotels in the area. The GM doesn't care about line employees or non-management committee staff members. Rooms Executive needs to find some sun tan lotion and need to learn how to talk to people instead of talking down to them. Stay away!!

Advice to Management

New management, especially at the top and learn how to have a heart. Start to teach your staff and help them grow. Manage a team, not just yourself.

Hated this job from day 1

Former Employee - Server in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Server in Denver, CO

Pros

The pay can be good. And some of the people that work there are great people whom I will miss. The diversity in backgrounds is impressive.

Cons

Management has its hands tied because upper management is all about the dollars at the end of the day. It is an environment that kills creativity, does not promote individualism even though they claim to. My department was understaffed for all of 2011, yet we were still blamed for every single little thing that could have been avoided or fixed if we had just hired a couple of more people. The program they have to train managers who are still young and looking for a career in the hotel business is borderline incompetent, taking young people with no experience and putting them in a frantic high paced work environment. They have to manage people that have much more experience. The problem with this is that most of these fake managers don't have a clue as to what to do, or how to be efficient, so they just get frustrated and start barking orders. I regret ever working here. Not worth it. Don't bother.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. I have never seen a place that despises its management so much. If you stop caring about the people who get up at 4 am to work for you eventually they will stop caring about the job.

10. Mnagement wants the staff to do their work, I have never in my life seen lazier, so called management.

Former Employee - Gallery Host in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Gallery Host in Seattle, WA

Pros

Just a job, They require more in the interview.

Cons

The guests are very rude, not all. But 95% of the are.

Advice to Management

Get off your Anus, and for once in your life work in Washington.

11. front please

Pros

good job back in the 90s, not today. low pay. union workers

Cons

standing on your feet all day.helping peope and recieving no gratuities

Showing 989 of 1,038 reviews