Hyatt

Updated December 17, 2014
3.8

Hyatt President and CEO Mark S. Hoplamazian
Mark S. Hoplamazian

Pros
  • Hyatt gives great benefits and really care about their employees (in 43 reviews)

• The company tries hard to keep employees happy, and provides fairly good benefits (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance, it can bevery hard to make plans around your work schedule (in 30 reviews)

• Extremely long hours hours for a handful of positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Professional and friendly environment.

Former Employee - Server in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Hyatt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the friendly atmosphere of this company and the benefits of being employed through this establishment.

Cons

The team work and managment could have been stronger.

I would probably suggest more team work.

Great place to work. Company is very employee friendly.

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

Lots of activities to recognize the employees efforts. Hyatt is well aware that happy employees make for happy guests.

Cons

Career advancement requires relocating.

Keep noticing the employees that make it possible for guest satisfaction.

Assistant IT Manager

I worked at Hyatt

Pros

It was a great company with incredible benefits.

Cons

I did not like the location for work in Oakbrook Terrace.

The management, colleagues and attitude.

Current Employee - Gallery Host in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Gallery Host in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can only speak for my property. I'm a Gallery host at a select service Hyatt place. My GM, both AGM's, Director of sales and sales associate are amazing. Especially my GM. Not only does he have possibly the coolest personality I've met in a gm, but he knows his stuff and he cares. Every morning he checks up on all of us and knows if there's something wrong. I turned down an opportunity to become sheriff, was offered 15k and a unheard of deal to be promoted quickly. All because of my GM. Now, my leads are just as amazing. My colleagues are only great because of my attitude. There's always new employees coming in because A.) Get weeded out B.) Move to another Hyatt because there's plenty of them in my area, some offer more pay because they are franchises more convenient in distance, or to a higher position. My AGM who hires the new associates does a good job, they are usually ambitious, open minded, and genuinely care. Most are either in school getting degrees in other fields or transferring from other hotel chains trying to climb higher. Out of all my associates I'm the one who travels the most. I fly literally everywhere because I have flight benefits. I go in and out of Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Miami, New York, dang basically a lot of places because of friends I made previously before I got the job and moved to my area. My AGM ALWAYS allows me to go and accepts my requests time off. If you pull your weight, follow their easy guidelines for checking guests in and out. Getting along with your coworkers, then honestly you will have so much freedom. I may have supervisors but I'm treated like a king because I'm trusted. I can't speak for all hyatts just yet because I've only been in one property for about 6 months, but it's an amazing job. After one year you get paid time off and the amount of days grow each year, 12 comp nights for full time positions, 6 for part time. 401k and all that jazz. The discounted rate isn't the greatest but damn it's better than paying full price for unknown chains when you're traveling. Hyatts are always near highways or on great locations. I go to the gym and trader Joes every day after work, put gas in my truck at Costco. Malls, downtown, campus are all 10 mins away. I'll add some more icing on the cake, we have so many hook ups that come with the job. We have a car service guy that has his own company when we get calls from guests that need a ride we call him. He pays us $40 cash for like every 4 guests. And he'll give us free rides if ever needed when we're out with our friends clubbing. Restaurants always come in bringing food and deals for us because we help them out. Businesses treating us like royalty giving us their products because we are seen as marketers for them. All we do is front desk yet we're God's to them. There's so much perks, I can go on and on. The people I've met... Incredible. I thought I was intelligent, but hearing stories from guests and advice I've received from celebrities, CEO's, etc. Are outstanding.

Cons

From my understanding there's two ways to be promoted in hospitality. Transfer to other properties or to other companies and keep doing it. Don't stay at one property. My coworker "Queen Bee" as I call her has worked at my property for 6 years and has never been promoted. She loves it that way, but she knows she could have climbed so high if she moved properties. My GM, mostly all of them transfered from other Hyatt'. My director of sales and GM started from the way bottom. Sales guy was a housekeeper... A housekeeper at 16 and now is banking because of his hard work... Surely being likeable with the higher ups may help, but working hard and getting high scores and making the guests mention your name in surveys is what will make you great. I plan on transferring to different properties every year not only because I want to climb, but because I need to experience all levels.

Gallery Host

Former Employee - Gallery Host (Customer Service Representative )
    Former Employee - Gallery Host (Customer Service Representative )

I worked at Hyatt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent supervisor and manager. My manager always answered my questions. Co-workers are cool and energetic. Something different everyday so your not stuck at a desk unless your a manager. Always meeting new people from other company's so the net working is huge.

Cons

Pay=10$ and hour. Always cover your tail when it comes to the guests because sometimes the guests like to blame you for things that are out of your control. Gallery hosts have to cook and be in the kitchen, I wasn't crazy about being stuck in the kitchen.

Increase salaries.

Would Never have Gone Somewhere else

Current Employee - Executive Housekeeper in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Housekeeper in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Training Programs and Benifits. Direct Management, not afraid to get their hand "dirty".

Cons

If you need to stay in a city, options for promotion may be limited as Execs. in this economy are sitting jobs, or, need to stay in they city they are in.

If you have an awesome employee that would like to return let them, their experience outside of Hyatt may be just what you need to stay as diversified as you want to be.

Great

Current Employee - Banquet Server in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Banquet Server in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free Hotel and benefits, Learning how different departments are operating w a cross training method

Cons

Company Values need a tip pool environment for banquet servers

Instill Company Values with Dignity and Respect and a wellness program for associates

Ideal job for college students and hospitality majors

Current Employee - Gallery Host in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Gallery Host in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hyatt's organizational culture is very admirable. Associates. regardless of title/position, are encouraged and empowered to make a difference in the lives of guests by almost any means necessary. Benefits available to associates are great, especially for frequent travelers.

Cons

High management turnover rate and employees are constantly understaffed and overworked. Personal growth opportunities are available, but with a limited selection. Growth inside the brand is very difficult unless you work for a AAA Diamond rated property.

Hyatt Place brand needs to be revised. There is a high turnover rate of employees and management for a reason. For being a limited service property, associates perform full-service duties for significantly less compensation. Recognize and award dedicated employees.

analyst

I have been working at Hyatt

Pros

chill culture, everyone is nice and friendly

Cons

work is a little repetitive

Not bad to work for, used to be Westin Hotel

Current Employee - Security Officer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Hyatt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free lunches. Benefits are good.

Cons

Unless your work in the office area's, expect for your hours be reduced if business is slow.