Hydrite

Updated June 4, 2014
3.9

John A. Honkamp

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Provides excellent benefits but usually below market pay. Good place to advance and get experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottage Grove, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottage Grove, WI

I have been working at Hydrite

Pros

Excellent benefits, 401K, Profit sharing, dental, vision, healthcare plans.

Cons

Politics plays some role and can create a headache.

Beware

Former Employee - Quality Control in Cottage Grove, WI
    Former Employee - Quality Control in Cottage Grove, WI

I worked at Hydrite full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good entry level training and experience. A variety of different equipment to learn on and no major backlash for making mistakes.

Cons

This place is extremely dangerous. They hire people with education levels that aren't sufficient for the materials they are handling. I left the company due to a genuine fear that I would be involved in an explosion. I am still friends with people that work at the company and there have been several small incidents since I left but no major ones. I strongly believe it is only a matter of time until one occurs.

Hire more qualified people. Don't be so afraid of conflict and deal with the problems you know exist.

Hydrite Response

Oct 28, 2014Manager of Recruiting and OD

Thank you for the feedback on this matter. Safety is our number one priority at Hydrite Chemical Co. In fact, Hydrite’s safety record is excellent compared to chemical manufacturing industry ... More

If you are a scientist read this review

Former Employee - QC Chemist in Cottage Grove, WI
    Former Employee - QC Chemist in Cottage Grove, WI

I worked at Hydrite full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Profit sharing (required 6 years tenure to be fully vested)
    401K and company match
    Solid team of senior scientists
    Well equipped analytical laboratory, stupendous atmosphere for learning the ropes

Cons

I worked as a QC chemist at hydrite for 2 years at the Cottage Grove, WI organic processing facility. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The company is run by an incredibly politically conservative family and they hammered this message home with company-wide daily e-mails. I felt this created an atmosphere hostile to discussion and openness that hampered work-related communication.

Additionally, this is a work place that did not stand by the work of its chemists. The QC laboratory was not taken seriously by other departments and there were multiple events where I was asked to repeat the work of other chemists because engineering didn't like the number. Occasionally this work was performed after a product had been shipped to a customer adding frustration to the wasted time.

The pay is LOW for QC chemists. Other jobs in the same region with the same experience pay about 30% more. Hydrite chews through QC chemists very quickly and their average tenure is typically less than three years.

There are no other job opportunities available for chemists at this facility.

Laboratory Manager needs to stand up for critical thinking from chemists and stand by their results.

Hydrite Photos

Solving technical problems and adding value to our customers is what differentiates Hydrite. Applied chemistry is our passion.

+ Add Photo