Hydrite
www.hydrite.com Brookfield, WI 500 to 999 Employees

Hydrite Reviews

Updated Jun 4, 2014
Hydrite – “Solving technical problems and adding value to…”

John A. Honkamp

Been there more than 3 years

Brookfield, WI

ProsFantastic benefits, good work/life balance, very ethical leadership, extremely strong/stable company. I recommend this company to all family, friends and acquaintances.

ConsNot much to share as far as cons. A bit conservative as far as dress policies, etc but slowly changing.

Oshkosh Facility

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood hardworking people, the majority care about how the facility is managed.

ConsExtremely poor Management, no PM, filthy working conditions, Supervisor top-heavy

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO needs to wake up and overhaul the management of this facility. Was once a good place to work but has gone downhill steadily since the current Manager took over.

Beware

Quality Control (Former Employee)
    Cottage Grove, WI

ProsGood entry level training and experience. A variety of different equipment to learn on and no major backlash for making mistakes.

ConsThis place is extremely dangerous. They hire people with education levels that aren't sufficient for the materials they are handling. I left the company due to a genuine fear that I would be involved in an explosion. I am still friends with people that work at the company and there have been several small incidents since I left but no major ones. I strongly believe it is only a matter of time until one occurs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more qualified people. Don't be so afraid of conflict and deal with the problems you know exist.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are a scientist read this review

QC Chemist (Former Employee)
    Cottage Grove, WI

ProsProfit sharing (required 6 years tenure to be fully vested)
    401K and company match
    Solid team of senior scientists
    Well equipped analytical laboratory, stupendous atmosphere for learning the ropes

ConsI worked as a QC chemist at hydrite for 2 years at the Cottage Grove, WI organic processing facility. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The company is run by an incredibly politically conservative family and they hammered this message home with company-wide daily e-mails. I felt this created an atmosphere hostile to discussion and openness that hampered work-related communication.

Additionally, this is a work place that did not stand by the work of its chemists. The QC laboratory was not taken seriously by other departments and there were multiple events where I was asked to repeat the work of other chemists because engineering didn't like the number. Occasionally this work was performed after a product had been shipped to a customer adding frustration to the wasted time.

The pay is LOW for QC chemists. Other jobs in the same region with the same experience pay about 30% more. Hydrite chews through QC chemists very quickly and their average tenure is typically less than three years.

There are no other job opportunities available for chemists at this facility.

Advice to Senior ManagementLaboratory Manager needs to stand up for critical thinking from chemists and stand by their results.

Great place to work.

Formulator (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsIn time of need, coworkers are there to help.

ConsEnviroment could be a little better.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate youre employee's

Unbelievably Positive Company Atmosphere

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsEmployees are extremely friendly and welcoming
    Easy access to upper management
    Someone will always answer your question

ConsSome upper management is very traditionally business oriented (driving for profit only)
    Some employees are not very open to out of the box ideas

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an open mind to all ideas and hear them out. Keep up the awesome company atmosphere!

A fairly decent company to work for, depending on who your manager is.

ProsExcellent contributions by the company to encourage healthy living. Provide paybacks for smoking cessation and contribute to health club memberships/classes.

ConsManagement, pay scale, working conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince joining this company all I have heard is how wonderful this company used to be, and how it has steadily gone downhill. Communication between departments is poor, morale is poor, and there is no indication of any improvement in the future. Preventative maintenance is non-existent.

Amazing company to work for

Intern (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat people and environment at hydrite chemical co. I learned a lot as an intern while working for hydrite chemical co.

ConsI cannot think of anything I did not like there.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Provides excellent benefits but usually below market pay. Good place to advance and get experience.

Cottage Grove, WI

ProsExcellent benefits, 401K, Profit sharing, dental, vision, healthcare plans.

ConsPolitics plays some role and can create a headache.

Worked for Hydrite? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hydrite reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hydrite CEO John A. Honkamp. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Hydrite employees.