Hydrite

Updated January 16, 2015
Updated January 16, 2015
3.8

John A. Honkamp

**VERY STRESSFUL** but the pay is good

I worked at Hydrite full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Very close group of co workers
    High turn over due to moving up
    Raise and Christmas bonus every year

Cons

Depending on where you work, it's a very high stress job
    A bit of a learning curve when it comes to the computer system

process is still too complicated - it needs to be simplified as much as possible

Decent pay, horrible management.

Former Employee - Warehouse in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Hydrite full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Getting paid by the minute was always a plus. Benefits were great. Treated employees to a company wide picnic at the Milwaukee County Zoo for the day. Hours weren't too bad. No swing shift.

Cons

Terrible management. Favoritism was a huge thing there. Management needed more experience before becoming management and teamwork was almost unheard of there.

By far the best in the industry to work for compared to competition in same market space.

I have been working at Hydrite full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is based on servant leadership and really strives to live by this principal. Based on this everyone has a voice and is heard.

Cons

Due to fast paced growth currently experiencing, some details seem to be lost in the shuffle. Rely on field management in place to make the right decisions for the company when upper management support isn't needed.

Due to fast paced growth that is being experienced, continue to listen to the field for what needs to be done in order to keep the small company values and servant leadership intact. This is what has gotten the company where it is today.

One of the best companies I have worked for or with

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Hydrite full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hydrite is a place that respects employees, allows you to have a voice in your own work area, does not micromanage yet still drives growth and profitability with proper goals and incentives. Open door policy where issues can be discussed directly with leadership and direct managers properly and with minimal risk.

Cons

A bit conservative with risk; however, have an eye open for the right investments which will not endanger the growth or viability of the company or the future of employees; most top level leaders are home grown;

Continue to foster the Hydrite culture as we grow and expand and look to attract and hire more outside leadership talent who fit the culture and bring new ideas for growth and manage the change which will come with growth.

Excellent company to work for.

Former Employee - FP Lead/Warehouse Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - FP Lead/Warehouse Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Hydrite full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family owned company that truly cares about their employees. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Somewhat disorganized at the plant level. Needed equipment is sometimes lacking.

Make unannounced visits to the plants, that way you will see the real Hydrite. Both the good and bad.

Hydrite is an awesome place to work! From the top down they truly care for their employees!

I have been working at Hydrite full-time

Pros

Hydrite is a great place to work. They are flexible, understanding, and realize that we all have families and family comes first. The organization is successful because of the great people and great products. Benefits are amazing which truly goes to show the organization cares for their employees.

Cons

There are always opportunities for improvement and the company realizes that.

The company culture is great as all employees are treated with trust and respect. There is a good work-life balance that many companies do not have nor understand.

A breath of fresh air

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Hydrite full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I couldn't be happier with the choice I made to join Hydrite. My previous company was very micromanaged and while I was successful but I was not happy. I didn't see any opportunity for personal or career growth. I didn't feel appreciated and I didn't feel like my efforts were notice or appreciated by upper management. Sure the company paid well, but money doesn't not buy happiness. Money does not buy job satisfaction. Hydrite has done a great job of recognizing my efforts and success. I feel appreciated and know that when I see the President or CEO they will know what I've been working on and that I am contributing to the company's bottom line. It's a good sized company but with the feeling of a small, family run business. As we continue to grow that may change, but I sure hope not.

The compensation and expectations are very fair. I am yet to have a lecture by anyone even though I have made mistakes. Everyone in HR is very accessible for any benefits questions I've had. I even got some good questions from our HR manager to pass along to a friend who was applying for a job.

Having been with one of the major chemical distributors and having friends work at another of the big boys I can tell you that this isn't the norm in this industry. Hydrite gives you the tools and support to to do your job then trusts you to do it. I don't know of any companies of this size in this industry that do that.

Cons

Coming from a full line distributor there has been a learning curve for me to focus on the products we do well and realize that we cannot be everything to everyone....of course some of that has to do with my geography and the logistics our competitors have.

Simplify things where they can be simplified. Things can get bogged down in the IRF system when a sales admin could probably take care of it in minutes. An example would be adding a resource number to a new branch that hasn't stocked it before. This should take an email assuming it is a product we already deal with and there are no regulatory issues. Products with DEA, EPA, etc regulations are going to take longer and are probably ideal for the IRF systems but basic products could be done more efficiently.

Oshkosh Facility

I worked at Hydrite

Pros

Good hardworking people, the majority care about how the facility is managed.

Cons

Extremely poor Management, no PM, filthy working conditions, Supervisor top-heavy

The CEO needs to wake up and overhaul the management of this facility. Was once a good place to work but has gone downhill steadily since the current Manager took over.

Beware

Former Employee - Quality Control in Cottage Grove, WI
    Former Employee - Quality Control in Cottage Grove, WI

I worked at Hydrite full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good entry level training and experience. A variety of different equipment to learn on and no major backlash for making mistakes.

Cons

This place is extremely dangerous. They hire people with education levels that aren't sufficient for the materials they are handling. I left the company due to a genuine fear that I would be involved in an explosion. I am still friends with people that work at the company and there have been several small incidents since I left but no major ones. I strongly believe it is only a matter of time until one occurs.

Hire more qualified people. Don't be so afraid of conflict and deal with the problems you know exist.

Hydrite Response

Oct 28, 2014Manager of Recruiting and OD

Thank you for the feedback on this matter. Safety is our number one priority at Hydrite Chemical Co. In fact, Hydrite’s safety record is excellent compared to chemical manufacturing industry ... More

If you are a scientist read this review

Former Employee - QC Chemist in Cottage Grove, WI
    Former Employee - QC Chemist in Cottage Grove, WI

I worked at Hydrite full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Profit sharing (required 6 years tenure to be fully vested)
    401K and company match
    Solid team of senior scientists
    Well equipped analytical laboratory, stupendous atmosphere for learning the ropes

Cons

I worked as a QC chemist at hydrite for 2 years at the Cottage Grove, WI organic processing facility. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The company is run by an incredibly politically conservative family and they hammered this message home with company-wide daily e-mails. I felt this created an atmosphere hostile to discussion and openness that hampered work-related communication.

Additionally, this is a work place that did not stand by the work of its chemists. The QC laboratory was not taken seriously by other departments and there were multiple events where I was asked to repeat the work of other chemists because engineering didn't like the number. Occasionally this work was performed after a product had been shipped to a customer adding frustration to the wasted time.

The pay is LOW for QC chemists. Other jobs in the same region with the same experience pay about 30% more. Hydrite chews through QC chemists very quickly and their average tenure is typically less than three years.

There are no other job opportunities available for chemists at this facility.

Laboratory Manager needs to stand up for critical thinking from chemists and stand by their results.

Hydrite Photos

Solving technical problems and adding value to our customers is what differentiates Hydrite. Applied chemistry is our passion.

+ Add Photo