Hydro Aluminum North America

Hydro Aluminum North America Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Not yet rated.

Matthew Aboud

Good at taking care of their people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood technical expertise. Good people.

ConsToo decentralized. Did not leverage their size.

No Leadership

Press Operator (Current Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsNone- unless you love 12 hours a day

ConsToo much overtime, no plan or direction, Never see or hear from plant manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeet with employees one every 6 months so they know what is going on in company

Company Description

ProsHydro is a global supplier of aluminium with activities throughout the value chain, from bauxite extraction to the production of rolled and extruded aluminium products and building systems. Based in Norway, the company employs 23,000 people in more than 40 countries. Rooted in a century of experience in renewable energy production, technology development and progressive partnerships, Hydro is committed to strengthening the viability of the customers and communities we serve.

Within North America, Hydro provides aluminum solutions including supply sourcing, extrusion, finishing, and fabrication of components, as well as engineering and contract manufacturing services, for a variety of industries. Our North America network consists of casthouse/remelt, extrusion, drawn tubing, fabrication, finishing and contract manufacturing facilities that span from the East Coast to Mexico.

Hydro is a values based business. By using our values of courage, respect, cooperation, determination and foresight to guide our business, we ensure that our businesses create shared economic and social value for our employees, shareholders, stakeholders and host communities.

ConsHead office is moving again.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An ever changing experience.

ProsIt is an opportunity to work for a global company with strong values. It is an industry owner that builds the organization on the foundation of safety for the employees.

ConsUp side is there is continual change within the organization and leadership. This forces the focus to be more short term, rather than long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more into long term investment and look for stable growth.

Excellent Organization that fosters team building and development

ProsGreat team willing to go the extra yard.
    Support and guidance from upper management.
    Great benefits and healthy work atmosphere.

ConsNothing specific that is worth mentioning

Great Place to Work

ProsThe people are great. Very dedicated and committed to keeping the company a major player in the industry. The corporation has given North America a vote of confidence by funding new capital investment projects.

ConsCan not list any right now. I am a recent new hire. If I come across any cons, i will repost. But at the moment, I am very satisfied with my career choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the professional development and tuition re-imbursement program available. This is an important investment in the employees that I believe greatly benefits the company.

Great place to work. Recommend to anyone who wants to work in a dynamic, values based organization.

ProsThe people.
    The values.
    The environment.
    The opportunitiy to make a difference.
    Great upside potential exists for individual and company growth.

ConsNot many that I can think of. Leadership has recently changed so there is a much more strategic and positive outlook.

unstable at the time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery talented people in the plants and handling the day-to-day. Good, competitive salaries and benefits, and good use of technology.

ConsCommunication from corporate hq in Oslo was limited or irrelevant to issues happening at US sites. They didn't seem to "get" the US, or looked down on us.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack up your words with actions. If you say you want to hear employee opinions, then be prepared to make changes based on their concerns or explain why it's not possible.

Hydro Aluminum

ProsHighly integrated aluminum business
    Business pushes for results and invests in the operational units
    Global perspective throughout organization management structure
    Opportunities for career growth and advancement

ConsHigher level decisions made outside of the United States with frequent changes in management structure
    At times political decisions cloud business strategy and hinder operations

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on leading by example
    Seek to fully understand plants perspective when creating business strategy

Always changing direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery competitive pay and benefits were on par. Many great managers and employees to work with. Great opportunity to get experience in a successful global company.

ConsSome managers don't understand how business operates in the US. Disrespectful comments about Americans gets old after a while. Definitely not treated the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people you hire to do the jobs for you - sometimes they have the right answer. Less politics.

Worked for Hydro Aluminum North America? Contribute to the Community!