Hydrogen Group plc Reviews in London, England

2.5

Hydrogen Group plc CEO Tim Smeaton
Tim Smeaton

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hydrogen is still a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

- Fantastic people, a vibrant high performing culture with some excellent leaders in certain Practices.
    - Unrivalled commission scheme where high performers are frequently earning + £30k per quarter
    - Fantastic training and support for new starters
    - Hard working consultants who are driven to succeed and progress
    - Ambitious strategy and clear direction of where the company is going

Cons

Hydrogen has recently undergone a restructure which has probably caused a bit of uncertainty. However, It’s been the right decision for the business and should have a positive impact in the medium term. Every organisation goes through something like this very couple of years.

Approach promotions consistently and fairly and continue to reward high performance. In the past I feel we've been too tolerant of mediocre performance.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response. It's great to see you understand the longer-term view for Hydrogen and how with us all working towards this, combined with the attitudes of people like yourself, we ... More

Recruitment consultant

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Strong brand in some practices - well networked, great reputation for being specialist and delivering. This gives a strong platform for new joiners.
    The commission structure has some mixed reviews but I tend to find the people who say it's terrible are those who are not performing to the right standard. Having researched into the market, most competitors are very ambiguous as to what you will receive commission wise and it's quite often at the discretion of their managers whereas at Hydrogen it's very transparent with even calculators so you can see what you earn each quarter.
    Great incentives - if you work hard and perform well you really do reap the benefits.

Cons

There has been a lot of change - most of it necessary - but the communication from the leadership teams has been dreadful at times which often leads to gossip which spreads like wildfire.
    It's hard to do a commission scheme where one size fits all - in some areas it can feel easier to make money.
    New hires are often not up to scratch - overconfident and never deliver. Need a better screening process.

Changes have been made. Now let's move forward.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I work with some great people and have a good time at work (on the whole).

The environment is a young one yet is starting to get a little more mature. This is a good thing.

It now feels like the big changes are done with and that we can now stabilise and be more how it used to be. Again; this is a good thing.

The learning and development team are truly excellent. I have been in recruiting for quite a few years across a few companies and they are the best I have encountered in the industry.

Cons

The large amount of changes unsettled a lot of people and we lost some good colleagues (and some less good colleagues to be fair).

Back office processes are seemingly complicated and front office sales staff have little idea what they are. It's frustrating.

Communication between areas of the business needs to improve (management to sales and sales to back office). Maybe even a suggestion box? Hub Chatter is really only used for successes and not suggestions.

KPI system is one size fits all (across some very different recruiting areas). It's not appropriate.

Be more visible to staff (a bit of floor walking never hurts).

No more changes in 2014. Please.

Reduce sales staff attrition somehow. It's got out of control.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your comments. We're glad you understand the longer-term direction of Hydrogen and why changes need to happen. You raise some very valid points. Like all of these reviews, of course ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hydrogen has huge potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hydrogen has the right foundations in place to be really successful now that we have undergone a period of change and transition. We had some great characters here but it was too much of a fun place to be and had only a handful of really successful and driven consultants and leaders. We, in recent months appear to have grown up and fingers crossed will see more high earners and leaders develop in the future. I am excited to see how we look this time next year.

Cons

People have to genuinely want it and expectations need to be exceeded not just met so it concerns me that some people being lazy will delay this change happening quick enough to keep the good people interested.

Get out more and be inspirational.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Really good experience thus far

Current Employee - Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Upon finishing university, I had no idea what I wanted to do. In an ideal world, I would have entered academia. However, the anaemic pay and poor working conditions (even at many top universities) were enough to put me off this route. Unlike most of my university friends who chose banking, consultancy, the Big 4 and law conversions, I really had no interest in pursuing these options either. I found them generic (and still do).

So, it was by complete chance that I applied to Hydrogen. As luck would have it, I couldn't have picked a better place to start my career. Instead of dull and menial tasks, I felt like I was given responsibility from the very beginning. In fact, every month at Hydrogen thus far has been a great learning curve. I work with some great colleagues. They're supportive, witty and, most importantly, work hard.

I'm constantly given new targets and regularly receive feedback from my management team. As a result, I know exactly where I am in terms of my progression and what I should be doing in order to improve. I've learned that time-management is key to everything and to keep pushing even when you feel you're getting nowhere. Compared to my friends in larger corporates, I know that I've learned a lot more and have actually enjoyed the content of my work.

Will I stay at Hydrogen forever? Who knows, but I do think the company has a great culture and an ambitious vision of what it wants to be. So, to conclude, I'm happy with my time here.

Cons

There needs to be more emphasis on people using the Hub. Too often candidates are added and left completely or partially unskilled (having said that, the Hub training is pretty comprehensive and organised).

More company-wide competitions to encourage a sales culture should take place.

If people have to hit certain KPIs, for example, then this should be more standardised i.e. everyone HAS to make 40 calls per day irrespective of your practice.

I find the cultures between various desks and practices vary quite a lot. Some desks and practices are great. Some have really good team leaders and a mature atmosphere. Others, however, do not.

Don't forget that the growth of APAC is also due to the economic growth of many emerging markets. It's no surprise that we're experiencing a boom there due to the disparity in talent between home-grown recruitment firms, with far less experience and capital, compared to foreign recruitment firms, like ourselves.

Get your act together when it comes to taking new consultants onboard. The gap between one consultant and the next is, at times, ridiculous. Be as picky with the sourcing of our consultants as we are with the sourcing of our candidates. Much more discrepancy is needed when trying to find consultants who actually have a decent work-ethic and who can quickly understand what their candidates do.

Get rid of certain team leaders. Far too many loud-mouthed consultants seem to have been promoted to positions of authority purely because they've billed respectably for a few quarters. Fortunately, my team leader is more mature, has a lot of experience and commands respect because he's actually good at managing people. However, this does not seem to be a company-wide phenomenon.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response. We're really pleased you chose Hydrogen too! You raise some very valid points. Like all of these reviews, of course we take on board these comments, however we also ... More

Good company, great vision

Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great training, and they pride themselves on it
    - Management understand where the company's heading, and consequently, what they want out of their team
    - Good atmosphere
    - Incentives clearly spelled out so you know exactly what you have to do to achieve in the job

Cons

- Little work/life balance, but that's pretty common in that industry
    - Management sometimes do not listen to idea's from lower levels as much as they could do

May 8, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for taking the time to review your time at Hydrogen. It's wonderful to hear you had a great experience with us. We wish you the best of luck in your career after Hydrogen.

Good Company ... but lots of pressure

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Young, dynamic environment
    - Buzzing atmosphere
    - Good incentives
    - Strong social aspects
    - Great training
    - Good team spirit
    - Some excellent managers & directors who keep you motivated in the right way and are keen to see you develop your skills

Cons

- Work-life balance is poor
    - Long hours, expected to come in early, work late AND work through luch
    - Office conditions weren't great: cramped, untidy, really hot or really cold, bit bleak in general
    - Some of the management team could be improved - i.e. some are far too pushy & don't listen to you
    - Salary and benefits aren't great
    - Not open to you having time off for sickness (I took 1 day during my year there and got shamed in front of the team!)

Hydrogen have a really good foundation and many positive aspects. You strive to be competitive which is essential in the recruitment industry, but sometimes this pushes your employees slightly too far. Management need to listen to their teams a bit more and understand that working 24/7 with intense pressure is going to push people to the edge.
    I would recommend Hydrogen to others.

Excellent place to learn the trade, earn good wedge, but dont drink the cool aid for too long!

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training, pay is competitive, speed at which you can progress

Cons

They are good at dangling the carrot of progression and keeping you just wanting more. If you are young you can stay a little too long.

Keep on doing as you are doing, but like all recruiters you need to keep the senior management happy, also there is a lot of low hanging fruit in more senior placements if some the TL's/Managers were braver to call an MD or SVP.

Recruitment Consultant

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training. Perfect for a first experience in recruitment.

Cons

Big variations from
    A team to another in terms of management. No real long term vision and strategic imput in the work done. Agressive approach to recruitment.

More wore on the merit of a consultative approach to recruitment and try to get rid of wrong managers

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen. As a matter of course, anybody that leaves the business is offered an exit interview so that we can continually learn and improve. If there was anything you ... More

Good Training, not a place you want to stay too long

Former Employee - Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training is excellent with 1 full week given to sales skills
    Good location in the City of London
    Young employees, great social culture after work

Cons

Some Managers leave a lot to be desired
    Constant threats that someone in the team is going to be sacked
    Very long hours and shocking base salary, especially when compared to competition
    Lots of broken promises

Lead by example rather than just by time spent at the company. Support junior consultants in a better manner.

Worked for Hydrogen Group plc? Contribute to the Community!