Hydrogen Group plc

2.4

Hydrogen Group plc CEO Tim Smeaton
Tim Smeaton

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great for someone starting in recruitment but definitely not for the long term.

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Good starter training.
    - Enjoyable culture if you like to party.
    - Something to get your foot in the door.

Cons

- You are just a number; no one cares about your progression as long as you're billing.
    - Terrible management.
    - Salary is poor for the considerable amount of hours.
    - Favouritism is high; sleep with a manager and you will progress to consultant level/senior consultant!

Recruitment consultant

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Strong brand in some practices - well networked, great reputation for being specialist and delivering. This gives a strong platform for new joiners.
    The commission structure has some mixed reviews but I tend to find the people who say it's terrible are those who are not performing to the right standard. Having researched into the market, most competitors are very ambiguous as to what you will receive commission wise and it's quite often at the discretion of their managers whereas at Hydrogen it's very transparent with even calculators so you can see what you earn each quarter.
    Great incentives - if you work hard and perform well you really do reap the benefits.

Cons

There has been a lot of change - most of it necessary - but the communication from the leadership teams has been dreadful at times which often leads to gossip which spreads like wildfire.
    It's hard to do a commission scheme where one size fits all - in some areas it can feel easier to make money.
    New hires are often not up to scratch - overconfident and never deliver. Need a better screening process.

Going... Going... Gone.

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Started off ok last year but novelty wore off very quickly.

Great people to work with. If I didn't have this I'd have left 6 months ago. Very relaxed compared with other businesses.

Thanks honestly about it.

Cons

Where do I start.

Upper Management are seemingly all idiots.
    Culture has turned to crap.
    Salaries are diabolical (I earn less than minimum wage you would do better as a cleaner.)
    Comission is shocking, completely geared against new starters. You have to "pay" for the cost of your seat, so no commission on anything under £10,000. Likely % are about 5-10 after that which is low compared with others.
    CEO doesn't seem to really know what's happening on the ground.
    Vision is just a load of smoke
    Stuffing "values" down our throats.
    Little to no contact between disciplines.
    Other people always screwing up other people's clients, lost key business as a result.
    The list goes on....

I would not advice starting here. You'd do much better trying to jump in at the deep end elsewhere.

Actually listen to what is happening. Sort out the crap commission structure & pay people a wage that is in line the market average.

Really worried about the future

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a recent grad keen on a party hard culture, H2 is great, 90% of the consultants are fresh out of university - the play-hard culture can be lots of fun.
    They tell a great story and can be very inspirational at times

Cons

I've been here for just over 2 years, but I am starting to get worried about what's going to happen in the next 2 years.
    We recently had a 'half year launch' and the presentations given by the senior leadership team were, in a word, awful. The slides were full of typo's and spelling mistakes, some of the directors didn't seem to know their material, some didn't seem to understand the figures, one lacked any conviction/belief in what they were saying. In places it was embarrassing to watch, but the reality is it's just another example of what I've seen happening to the business since I joined.
    We've just released another negative trading statement to the city, admitting that we aren't performing to expectation and it's just occurred to me that we haven't given the city any positive news since I joined - and the recruitment market is supposed to be booming right now!?!?
    A lot has changed since I started, which didn't use to bother me, however, we are changing too often and and too quickly and it's starting to feel like it's all reactive and short term and done to save money and protect our profits rather than because it's the right to do for the long term future of the business and it's for this reason I worry about what the future holds.

Be honest with your people, the spin you put into all the 'inspirational' talks, presentations and sales meetings is starting to wear thin - they might work on all the new hires who don't know any better, but for those of us who've been here a while, I'd like to hear the truth for a change.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention your concerns. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to find an AD or senior manager whom you have a ... More

Changes have been made. Now let's move forward.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work with some great people and have a good time at work (on the whole).

The environment is a young one yet is starting to get a little more mature. This is a good thing.

It now feels like the big changes are done with and that we can now stabilise and be more how it used to be. Again; this is a good thing.

The learning and development team are truly excellent. I have been in recruiting for quite a few years across a few companies and they are the best I have encountered in the industry.

Cons

The large amount of changes unsettled a lot of people and we lost some good colleagues (and some less good colleagues to be fair).

Back office processes are seemingly complicated and front office sales staff have little idea what they are. It's frustrating.

Communication between areas of the business needs to improve (management to sales and sales to back office). Maybe even a suggestion box? Hub Chatter is really only used for successes and not suggestions.

KPI system is one size fits all (across some very different recruiting areas). It's not appropriate.

Be more visible to staff (a bit of floor walking never hurts).

No more changes in 2014. Please.

Reduce sales staff attrition somehow. It's got out of control.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your comments. We're glad you understand the longer-term direction of Hydrogen and why changes need to happen. You raise some very valid points. Like all of these reviews, of course ... More

Recruitment Consultant

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training. Perfect for a first experience in recruitment.

Cons

Big variations from
    A team to another in terms of management. No real long term vision and strategic imput in the work done. Agressive approach to recruitment.

More wore on the merit of a consultative approach to recruitment and try to get rid of wrong managers

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen. As a matter of course, anybody that leaves the business is offered an exit interview so that we can continually learn and improve. If there was anything you ... More

Disappointing and unsupported

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brand
    Colleagues
    Office is nice
    Great location
    Good clients
    Very relaxed work environment

I'm honestly struggling to meet the 20 word minimum for the pros side of things

Cons

Commission structure
    Basic salary
    Salary is less than minimum wage and doesn't even pay my living costs even after a year here
    They fired half my team
    All the top billers left
    Stranded in a slow market with little guidance
    Company feels like it is dying or will restructure to a much smaller size

Try and understand what the employees need and support that. Power points with baseless targets help no one.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention your concerns. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to raise these with your Line Manager. However, if ... More

Steadily going downhill

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Colleagues, Good brand, Location, Training

Cons

Low pay
    Work-life balance/flexibility
    Commission structure
    Promotion structure uninspiring
    No individual treatment
    Ask for help and don't get it

Instead of losing consultants to competitors, retain them by showing them their value in the business. A one size fits all approach does not work with regards to promotions etc, good billers are not necessarily good leaders and if you were more supportive you could unlock much more potential with the staff you have rather than letting them go elsewhere and then spending time and money on recruiting again

Hydrogen has huge potential

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hydrogen has the right foundations in place to be really successful now that we have undergone a period of change and transition. We had some great characters here but it was too much of a fun place to be and had only a handful of really successful and driven consultants and leaders. We, in recent months appear to have grown up and fingers crossed will see more high earners and leaders develop in the future. I am excited to see how we look this time next year.

Cons

People have to genuinely want it and expectations need to be exceeded not just met so it concerns me that some people being lazy will delay this change happening quick enough to keep the good people interested.

Get out more and be inspirational.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response. It's great to see you understand the longer-term view for Hydrogen and how with us all working towards this, combined with the attitudes of people like yourself, we ... More

Good at first but the company has completely changed and is a poor example of a business and treats employees badly

Current Employee - Consultant/Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant/Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training and very good Learning and Development team. Good clients - however these clients are starting to see the negatives to doing business with Hydrogen and are choosing other recruitment companies as their preferred partner. I am hearing a lot of negative feedback from key clients, some now refusing to ever work with Hydrogen again because of their approach.

Cons

The company cannot stick to a vision and do not manage people or create and implement strategies well. The company is very divisional, with each practice area working independently to one another (for example Finance, Law or Oil & Gas). The company has grown too quickly and made many mistakes in terms of structuring and developing teams. They also seem to be confused as to which markets they are entering, with no clear direction or focus. This is poor from a client and candidate perspective (not to mention employee) because Hydrogen are claiming to be experts in things areas they no nothing about. Hydrogen used to be a lovely place, great culture, good consultants and managers, but the turnover is so high that this has completely changed and none of the great people want to stick around for long. This is because of the poor management, poor opinions from industry, poor career progression and also very low salaries compared to market average. The problem seems to be that Hydrogen management are trying to create a 'quick fix' to a financial problem that has been worsening for some time due to running the business badly and growing too quickly in an unsuccessful way. This quick fix is all about money and Hydrogen are forgetting that clients will be around for much longer, they all talk, and the bigger picture is not being considered. All this company look for is where is the next deal? & why are you not working with a particular account? They then bulldoze in without thinking of the client or the candidate - just trying to make quick money, a very unintelligent approach and a poor service to the client. It is not a pleasant place to work and it is somewhere I am very ashamed to be a part of.

If you want a quick fix to sell the business- then fair enough. However, if you want a business that is successful in the longer term then you really must re-address everything that is being done, and make better informed, more careful business choices. Don't take my word for it, I urge you to ask clients and candidates what their impression is and I am confident my above comments will be echoed.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention these issues. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to raise these with your Line Manager. However, if ... More

Hydrogen Group plc Photos