Hydrogen Group plc

Hydrogen Group plc Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Hydrogen Group plc CEO Tim Smeaton

Tim Smeaton

Good at first but the company has completely changed and is a poor example of a business and treats employees badly

Consultant/Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood training and very good Learning and Development team. Good clients - however these clients are starting to see the negatives to doing business with Hydrogen and are choosing other recruitment companies as their preferred partner. I am hearing a lot of negative feedback from key clients, some now refusing to ever work with Hydrogen again because of their approach.

ConsThe company cannot stick to a vision and do not manage people or create and implement strategies well. The company is very divisional, with each practice area working independently to one another (for example Finance, Law or Oil & Gas). The company has grown too quickly and made many mistakes in terms of structuring and developing teams. They also seem to be confused as to which markets they are entering, with no clear direction or focus. This is poor from a client and candidate perspective (not to mention employee) because Hydrogen are claiming to be experts in things areas they no nothing about. Hydrogen used to be a lovely place, great culture, good consultants and managers, but the turnover is so high that this has completely changed and none of the great people want to stick around for long. This is because of the poor management, poor opinions from industry, poor career progression and also very low salaries compared to market average. The problem seems to be that Hydrogen management are trying to create a 'quick fix' to a financial problem that has been worsening for some time due to running the business badly and growing too quickly in an unsuccessful way. This quick fix is all about money and Hydrogen are forgetting that clients will be around for much longer, they all talk, and the bigger picture is not being considered. All this company look for is where is the next deal? & why are you not working with a particular account? They then bulldoze in without thinking of the client or the candidate - just trying to make quick money, a very unintelligent approach and a poor service to the client. It is not a pleasant place to work and it is somewhere I am very ashamed to be a part of.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want a quick fix to sell the business- then fair enough. However, if you want a business that is successful in the longer term then you really must re-address everything that is being done, and make better informed, more careful business choices. Don't take my word for it, I urge you to ask clients and candidates what their impression is and I am confident my above comments will be echoed.

Churn & burn seems to be management's motto

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood location, global company, great l&d and ops teams - that's about as far as the pros go.

ConsI joined Hydrogen after graduating. The sell is that it's a quick fire way for graduates to earn a fair bit of money with uncapped commission, work in a dynamic, vibrant environment where you work hard play hard with clear opportunities for progression. Unfortunately, not one bit of this sell is true. There is no work/life balance - standard hours are 8.30am - 6.30pm on paper but realistically that's 8am post 7pm most days of the week. Some practices also impose compulsory longer hours if you aren't reaching your targets. Salaries are very poor compared to competitors as is commission structure. Leadership appears to be quite poor across the practices. Within my practice area I felt there was a real lack of professionalism from team leaders who were quick to offer their opinions on more junior members of the practice. There's very little loyalty in the business but at the very least you should expect that your team leader values the work you are doing and the contribution you are making to their pay package every month (team leaders all get a percentage of their consultants' commission...) opposed to voicing their personal opinion on individuals. It felt like being back in high school and it's generally a very unpleasant environment to work inl! It also meant there was a constant atmosphere within the teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart reviewing team leadership and holding team leaders accountable for their team's performance (as well as their attitudes) instead of getting rid of more junior members of the team just because on paper they may seem easier to replace. Retention rate is terrible (8 people left our team over the last 5 months and that's just one of many in the London office!).

Please never work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe training is good and if you're good then you can make good money. However the pros don't go any further than that...

ConsEndless, the pay is really bad, much below market rates. The commission is average. The atmosphere is awful, you are treated like a child, the senior management are really terrible. Total lack on transparency and decisions are just announced out of the blue without any consultation. The very top have been there for years and totally forgotten how to consult and take on any advice..

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are all terrible at your jobs - you should resign
    Especially the very top - totally incompetent

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sinking Ship

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGiven the state of the business at the moment, I'm really struggling to think of any...
    I guess I've made some good friends

ConsImmature, uninspiring leaders
    Terrible work/life balance
    Unethical behavior is rife (encouraged by managers who have a 'make money at all costs' attitude)
    Low salaries and poor bonus/commission structures
    Management by fear
    One size fits all approach to recruitment
    Sterile offices
    Zero benefits
    It's obvious that we're not doing well compared to other recruitment companies, and the atmosphere is unpleasant at best with people sneaking out all the time to interview elsewhere or to make/receive calls from their recruitment consultants - it's really not a very nice place to be at the moment

Advice to Senior ManagementNone - they never listen and I'm just not interested anymore

Contractors (under NO circumstances work through this bunch) !!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAbsolutely nothing from my perspective. Staff appear harassed and incompetent - and those are I assume the good ones!

ConsBroken promises from consultants, phone callers never returned, numerous cases of "I'll look into it and come straight back to you" and then nothing happens. Took 3 weeks to on board me! And then they have the cheek to pay contractors monthly not weekly in arrears! A month after contract finished I am STILL owed nearly £5k, and despite promises that it will be chased and looked into - NOTHING! Next call will be to my solicitors!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip, fire them all and start again!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Jun 11, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Hydrogen are committed to providing an industry leading experience for our contractors. On-boarding, especially overseas, can be a lengthy process ensuring all the right ... More

Review

ProsGood office location in the City

ConsPolitical structure, in-experienced consultants, poor inter-personal skills of senior management

May 8, 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to review Hydrogen.
    Ideally, it would be great to discuss your concerns with your Line Manager, however, if this is inappropriate, or you feel unable to do so
    ... More

An out of control Sixth Form, with too much money and cocaine.

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- The social side of this company are a highlight
    - Employees are all of a similar age

Cons- Constant threat of being sacked
    - 12 hour days are a minimum
    - Heavily criticised for taking sick days
    - Poor pay
    - School playground behaviour on the office floor

Advice to Senior ManagementThe place is a zoo.

May 8, 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to review your time at Hydrogen. We are always interested in the views of both our existing employees and those that have chosen to leave Hydrogen. We like to offer an ... More

Shocking Management Thinking, and Confusing Messaging

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Pros- Some good colleagues
    - Central work location

Cons- Half an hour job induction
    - No proper training even after 2 weeks in the job. You learn from handouts.
    - Very process oriented. Risk of getting sacked even after you bring in a new client after 2 weeks in the job without proper training, just because you don't make enough calls.
    - Singapore office generates a lot of negative vibes.
    - Long work hours with poor base salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should be more clear on what is important. Making deals or making calls.

Disappointing and unsupported

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsBrand
    Very relaxed work environment

I'm honestly struggling to meet the 20 word minimum for the pros side of things

ConsCommission structure
    Basic salary
    Salary is less than minimum wage and doesn't even pay my living costs even after a year here
    They fired half my team
    All the top billers left
    Stranded in a slow market with little guidance
    Company feels like it is dying or will restructure to a much smaller size

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and understand what the employees need and support that. Power points with baseless targets help no one.

Steadily going downhill

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsColleagues, Good brand, Location, Training

ConsLow pay
    Work-life balance/flexibility
    Commission structure
    Promotion structure uninspiring
    No individual treatment
    Ask for help and don't get it

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of losing consultants to competitors, retain them by showing them their value in the business. A one size fits all approach does not work with regards to promotions etc, good billers are not necessarily good leaders and if you were more supportive you could unlock much more potential with the staff you have rather than letting them go elsewhere and then spending time and money on recruiting again

Worked for Hydrogen Group plc? Contribute to the Community!