Hydrogen Group plc

Hydrogen Group plc CEO Tim Smeaton
Tim Smeaton

Something to avoid

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some brand has left in the name - that is all really.
    Good location also - in the City.
    They talk a good story which could last 1-2 years depending on team/manager.

Cons

Dog eats dog culture.
    Management - senior and middle alike are absolute amateurs. Their total inability to manage people, encourage favoritism, unprofessional often very selfish behaviour.
    Totally oblivious to the changes in the market - still emphasising on hard sales culture, cold calling and stupid incentives.
    Base salary, commission, overall benefits - all poor for rather long hours.

All senior management must resign - they are incapable of managing themselves let alone the company.

An out of control Sixth Form, with too much money and cocaine.

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Assuming you made friends with the right people, Hydrogen can offer a good social environment. Many of the existing employees are in cliques, with new-comers rarely welcomed.

Basic salary is poor and the ability to bill can be difficult if you are on a new business desk.

Cons

People can get away with murder with HR very rarely, if ever, informed of the goings on in this zoo-like call centre.

Take control of your staff.

Miserable working culture; young uneducated dimwits running the show

Former Employee - Anonymous in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc

Pros

-Good Database
    -Non-management level colleagues
    -Some good perks - if they actually follow through with their promises
    Struggling to find more pros I'm afraid. Basic advice - don't work for this company.

Cons

-Horrific working environment; nothing you do is ever enough, extremely stressful even if you are doing well
    -Highly political
    -Long hours with no flexibility
    -Appalling commission structure
    -Low salaries
    -Very little training for junior consultants
    -Greedy, egotistical team leaders
    -Money grabbing CEO and MDs
    -Management is a joke. Most of the seniors got promoted simply because they moved over when they set up the office, not because they have ever produced anything. Most of them don't even have basic intelligence
    -Favoritism - some make it to the top because they are friends with the boss, even if they are stepping over colleagues who have more than proved their worth
    -Untrustworthy - watch out for their contract. They don't have to pay you your hard earned commission if they don't want to!

Treat your staff like human beings and not just money making machines.

No structure, horrible culture, bad remuneration

Former Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

there is nothing nice to say

Cons

Structure, management, lack transparency, no work life balance

not applicable

Started out great - went rapidly down hill

Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I joined I was attracted by the passion and energy of the directors. Good brand ad high growth.

Cons

It soon became apparent that unless you were one on the old faces (i.e. been there from the beginning) you had no hope of being recognised, whatever your results were. There was a core group of managers that had the ear of certain directors who would throw you under a bus at the first opportunity to make themselves look good. Not what I expected from a PLC. Then came the change (which was needed) but the person making the decisions had no guts and just kept the same poisoned leadership team in place. If you talk about change and opportunity, at least make honest changes rather than pandering to certain people - its so obvious!!! Glad to have moved on.

Be honest and make decision for the business rather than ones to please the old timers and friends of the CEO

Great for someone starting in recruitment but definitely not for the long term.

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Good starter training.
    - Enjoyable culture if you like to party.
    - Something to get your foot in the door.

Cons

- You are just a number; no one cares about your progression as long as you're billing.
    - Terrible management.
    - Salary is poor for the considerable amount of hours.
    - Favouritism is high; sleep with a manager and you will progress to consultant level/senior consultant!

Really worried about the future

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a recent grad keen on a party hard culture, H2 is great, 90% of the consultants are fresh out of university - the play-hard culture can be lots of fun.
    They tell a great story and can be very inspirational at times

Cons

I've been here for just over 2 years, but I am starting to get worried about what's going to happen in the next 2 years.
    We recently had a 'half year launch' and the presentations given by the senior leadership team were, in a word, awful. The slides were full of typo's and spelling mistakes, some of the directors didn't seem to know their material, some didn't seem to understand the figures, one lacked any conviction/belief in what they were saying. In places it was embarrassing to watch, but the reality is it's just another example of what I've seen happening to the business since I joined.
    We've just released another negative trading statement to the city, admitting that we aren't performing to expectation and it's just occurred to me that we haven't given the city any positive news since I joined - and the recruitment market is supposed to be booming right now!?!?
    A lot has changed since I started, which didn't use to bother me, however, we are changing too often and and too quickly and it's starting to feel like it's all reactive and short term and done to save money and protect our profits rather than because it's the right to do for the long term future of the business and it's for this reason I worry about what the future holds.

Be honest with your people, the spin you put into all the 'inspirational' talks, presentations and sales meetings is starting to wear thin - they might work on all the new hires who don't know any better, but for those of us who've been here a while, I'd like to hear the truth for a change.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention your concerns. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to find an AD or senior manager whom you have a ... More

Good at first but the company has completely changed and is a poor example of a business and treats employees badly

Current Employee - Consultant/Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant/Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training and very good Learning and Development team. Good clients - however these clients are starting to see the negatives to doing business with Hydrogen and are choosing other recruitment companies as their preferred partner. I am hearing a lot of negative feedback from key clients, some now refusing to ever work with Hydrogen again because of their approach.

Cons

The company cannot stick to a vision and do not manage people or create and implement strategies well. The company is very divisional, with each practice area working independently to one another (for example Finance, Law or Oil & Gas). The company has grown too quickly and made many mistakes in terms of structuring and developing teams. They also seem to be confused as to which markets they are entering, with no clear direction or focus. This is poor from a client and candidate perspective (not to mention employee) because Hydrogen are claiming to be experts in things areas they no nothing about. Hydrogen used to be a lovely place, great culture, good consultants and managers, but the turnover is so high that this has completely changed and none of the great people want to stick around for long. This is because of the poor management, poor opinions from industry, poor career progression and also very low salaries compared to market average. The problem seems to be that Hydrogen management are trying to create a 'quick fix' to a financial problem that has been worsening for some time due to running the business badly and growing too quickly in an unsuccessful way. This quick fix is all about money and Hydrogen are forgetting that clients will be around for much longer, they all talk, and the bigger picture is not being considered. All this company look for is where is the next deal? & why are you not working with a particular account? They then bulldoze in without thinking of the client or the candidate - just trying to make quick money, a very unintelligent approach and a poor service to the client. It is not a pleasant place to work and it is somewhere I am very ashamed to be a part of.

If you want a quick fix to sell the business- then fair enough. However, if you want a business that is successful in the longer term then you really must re-address everything that is being done, and make better informed, more careful business choices. Don't take my word for it, I urge you to ask clients and candidates what their impression is and I am confident my above comments will be echoed.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention these issues. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to raise these with your Line Manager. However, if ... More

Churn & burn seems to be management's motto

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good location, global company, great l&d and ops teams - that's about as far as the pros go.

Cons

I joined Hydrogen after graduating. The sell is that it's a quick fire way for graduates to earn a fair bit of money with uncapped commission, work in a dynamic, vibrant environment where you work hard play hard with clear opportunities for progression. Unfortunately, not one bit of this sell is true. There is no work/life balance - standard hours are 8.30am - 6.30pm on paper but realistically that's 8am post 7pm most days of the week. Some practices also impose compulsory longer hours if you aren't reaching your targets. Salaries are very poor compared to competitors as is commission structure. Leadership appears to be quite poor across the practices. Within my practice area I felt there was a real lack of professionalism from team leaders who were quick to offer their opinions on more junior members of the practice. There's very little loyalty in the business but at the very least you should expect that your team leader values the work you are doing and the contribution you are making to their pay package every month (team leaders all get a percentage of their consultants' commission...) opposed to voicing their personal opinion on individuals. It felt like being back in high school and it's generally a very unpleasant environment to work inl! It also meant there was a constant atmosphere within the teams.

Start reviewing team leadership and holding team leaders accountable for their team's performance (as well as their attitudes) instead of getting rid of more junior members of the team just because on paper they may seem easier to replace. Retention rate is terrible (8 people left our team over the last 5 months and that's just one of many in the London office!).

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen.
    We are sorry to hear that your experience here has finished on a negative note. As a matter of course, anybody that leaves the business is offered an exit
    ... More

Please never work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training is good and if you're good then you can make good money. However the pros don't go any further than that...

Cons

Endless, the pay is really bad, much below market rates. The commission is average. The atmosphere is awful, you are treated like a child, the senior management are really terrible. Total lack on transparency and decisions are just announced out of the blue without any consultation. The very top have been there for years and totally forgotten how to consult and take on any advice..

You are all terrible at your jobs - you should resign
    Especially the very top - totally incompetent

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen.
    We are sorry to hear that your experience here has finished on a negative note and your career, unlike others has been unable to flourish here. As a matter of
    ... More