Hydrogen Group plc

Hydrogen Group plc Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Hydrogen Group plc CEO Tim Smeaton

Tim Smeaton

Really worried about the future

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIf you're a recent grad keen on a party hard culture, H2 is great, 90% of the consultants are fresh out of university - the play-hard culture can be lots of fun.
    They tell a great story and can be very inspirational at times

ConsI've been here for just over 2 years, but I am starting to get worried about what's going to happen in the next 2 years.
    We recently had a 'half year launch' and the presentations given by the senior leadership team were, in a word, awful. The slides were full of typo's and spelling mistakes, some of the directors didn't seem to know their material, some didn't seem to understand the figures, one lacked any conviction/belief in what they were saying. In places it was embarrassing to watch, but the reality is it's just another example of what I've seen happening to the business since I joined.
    We've just released another negative trading statement to the city, admitting that we aren't performing to expectation and it's just occurred to me that we haven't given the city any positive news since I joined - and the recruitment market is supposed to be booming right now!?!?
    A lot has changed since I started, which didn't use to bother me, however, we are changing too often and and too quickly and it's starting to feel like it's all reactive and short term and done to save money and protect our profits rather than because it's the right to do for the long term future of the business and it's for this reason I worry about what the future holds.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your people, the spin you put into all the 'inspirational' talks, presentations and sales meetings is starting to wear thin - they might work on all the new hires who don't know any better, but for those of us who've been here a while, I'd like to hear the truth for a change.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention your concerns. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to find an AD or senior manager whom you have a ... More

Good at first but the company has completely changed and is a poor example of a business and treats employees badly

Consultant/Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood training and very good Learning and Development team. Good clients - however these clients are starting to see the negatives to doing business with Hydrogen and are choosing other recruitment companies as their preferred partner. I am hearing a lot of negative feedback from key clients, some now refusing to ever work with Hydrogen again because of their approach.

ConsThe company cannot stick to a vision and do not manage people or create and implement strategies well. The company is very divisional, with each practice area working independently to one another (for example Finance, Law or Oil & Gas). The company has grown too quickly and made many mistakes in terms of structuring and developing teams. They also seem to be confused as to which markets they are entering, with no clear direction or focus. This is poor from a client and candidate perspective (not to mention employee) because Hydrogen are claiming to be experts in things areas they no nothing about. Hydrogen used to be a lovely place, great culture, good consultants and managers, but the turnover is so high that this has completely changed and none of the great people want to stick around for long. This is because of the poor management, poor opinions from industry, poor career progression and also very low salaries compared to market average. The problem seems to be that Hydrogen management are trying to create a 'quick fix' to a financial problem that has been worsening for some time due to running the business badly and growing too quickly in an unsuccessful way. This quick fix is all about money and Hydrogen are forgetting that clients will be around for much longer, they all talk, and the bigger picture is not being considered. All this company look for is where is the next deal? & why are you not working with a particular account? They then bulldoze in without thinking of the client or the candidate - just trying to make quick money, a very unintelligent approach and a poor service to the client. It is not a pleasant place to work and it is somewhere I am very ashamed to be a part of.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want a quick fix to sell the business- then fair enough. However, if you want a business that is successful in the longer term then you really must re-address everything that is being done, and make better informed, more careful business choices. Don't take my word for it, I urge you to ask clients and candidates what their impression is and I am confident my above comments will be echoed.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention these issues. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to raise these with your Line Manager. However, if ... More

Churn & burn seems to be management's motto

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood location, global company, great l&d and ops teams - that's about as far as the pros go.

ConsI joined Hydrogen after graduating. The sell is that it's a quick fire way for graduates to earn a fair bit of money with uncapped commission, work in a dynamic, vibrant environment where you work hard play hard with clear opportunities for progression. Unfortunately, not one bit of this sell is true. There is no work/life balance - standard hours are 8.30am - 6.30pm on paper but realistically that's 8am post 7pm most days of the week. Some practices also impose compulsory longer hours if you aren't reaching your targets. Salaries are very poor compared to competitors as is commission structure. Leadership appears to be quite poor across the practices. Within my practice area I felt there was a real lack of professionalism from team leaders who were quick to offer their opinions on more junior members of the practice. There's very little loyalty in the business but at the very least you should expect that your team leader values the work you are doing and the contribution you are making to their pay package every month (team leaders all get a percentage of their consultants' commission...) opposed to voicing their personal opinion on individuals. It felt like being back in high school and it's generally a very unpleasant environment to work inl! It also meant there was a constant atmosphere within the teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart reviewing team leadership and holding team leaders accountable for their team's performance (as well as their attitudes) instead of getting rid of more junior members of the team just because on paper they may seem easier to replace. Retention rate is terrible (8 people left our team over the last 5 months and that's just one of many in the London office!).

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen.
    We are sorry to hear that your experience here has finished on a negative note. As a matter of course, anybody that leaves the business is offered an exit
    ... More

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Please never work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe training is good and if you're good then you can make good money. However the pros don't go any further than that...

ConsEndless, the pay is really bad, much below market rates. The commission is average. The atmosphere is awful, you are treated like a child, the senior management are really terrible. Total lack on transparency and decisions are just announced out of the blue without any consultation. The very top have been there for years and totally forgotten how to consult and take on any advice..

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are all terrible at your jobs - you should resign
    Especially the very top - totally incompetent

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen.
    We are sorry to hear that your experience here has finished on a negative note and your career, unlike others has been unable to flourish here. As a matter of
    ... More

Shocking Management Thinking, and Confusing Messaging

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Pros- Some good colleagues
    - Central work location

Cons- Half an hour job induction
    - No proper training even after 2 weeks in the job. You learn from handouts.
    - Very process oriented. Risk of getting sacked even after you bring in a new client after 2 weeks in the job without proper training, just because you don't make enough calls.
    - Singapore office generates a lot of negative vibes.
    - Long work hours with poor base salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should be more clear on what is important. Making deals or making calls.

Going... Going... Gone.

Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsStarted off ok last year but novelty wore off very quickly.

Great people to work with. If I didn't have this I'd have left 6 months ago. Very relaxed compared with other businesses.

Thanks honestly about it.

ConsWhere do I start.

Upper Management are seemingly all idiots.
    Culture has turned to crap.
    Salaries are diabolical (I earn less than minimum wage you would do better as a cleaner.)
    Comission is shocking, completely geared against new starters. You have to "pay" for the cost of your seat, so no commission on anything under £10,000. Likely % are about 5-10 after that which is low compared with others.
    CEO doesn't seem to really know what's happening on the ground.
    Vision is just a load of smoke
    Stuffing "values" down our throats.
    Little to no contact between disciplines.
    Other people always screwing up other people's clients, lost key business as a result.
    The list goes on....

I would not advice starting here. You'd do much better trying to jump in at the deep end elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to what is happening. Sort out the crap commission structure & pay people a wage that is in line the market average.

Do not join and if you are in H2 leave for better options!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the people are ok

ConsLow % model, stack them high and sell them cheap model, which means very low earnings for consultants coupled with very long hours. Several examples of woman sleeping there way to the top. Very much a blame culture. Most of the people who work there are either completely untrustworthy or a green at the gills grad. They claim to be what they are not, specialist, expert and thriving.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen. As a matter of course, anybody that leaves the business is offered an exit interview so that we can continually learn and improve. If there was anything you ... More

Disappointing and unsupported

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsBrand
    Very relaxed work environment

I'm honestly struggling to meet the 20 word minimum for the pros side of things

ConsCommission structure
    Basic salary
    Salary is less than minimum wage and doesn't even pay my living costs even after a year here
    They fired half my team
    All the top billers left
    Stranded in a slow market with little guidance
    Company feels like it is dying or will restructure to a much smaller size

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and understand what the employees need and support that. Power points with baseless targets help no one.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention your concerns. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to raise these with your Line Manager. However, if ... More

Steadily going downhill

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsColleagues, Good brand, Location, Training

ConsLow pay
    Work-life balance/flexibility
    Commission structure
    Promotion structure uninspiring
    No individual treatment
    Ask for help and don't get it

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of losing consultants to competitors, retain them by showing them their value in the business. A one size fits all approach does not work with regards to promotions etc, good billers are not necessarily good leaders and if you were more supportive you could unlock much more potential with the staff you have rather than letting them go elsewhere and then spending time and money on recruiting again

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Politically driven work environment with incompetent senior management...

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities to move into other departments, good training, newly modernised office, charity work, nice people (though dwindling in numbers), lovely and motivating CEO though he needs to brush up on his internal comms skills (he declared his admiration for Margerat Thatcher at a company meeting once).

ConsPolitical environment, unethical decision making, unprofessional staff, senior management have little variety in their experience (and it shows), senior management are more concerned with their egos and not other people's careers, consultants are followers of the lad bible, rude MDs, sociopathic Ops leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementEat some humble pie. The competition is eating you alive and the solution starts with great leaders. Billing insane amounts of money does not make a good leader. Experience, emotional intelligence and refined talent does.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Worked for Hydrogen Group plc? Contribute to the Community!