Hydrogen Group plc

Updated September 8, 2014
2.4

Hydrogen Group plc CEO Tim Smeaton
Tim Smeaton

Really worried about the future

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you're a recent grad keen on a party hard culture, H2 is great, 90% of the consultants are fresh out of university - the play-hard culture can be lots of fun.
    They tell a great story and can be very inspirational at times

Cons

I've been here for just over 2 years, but I am starting to get worried about what's going to happen in the next 2 years.
    We recently had a 'half year launch' and the presentations given by the senior leadership team were, in a word, awful. The slides were full of typo's and spelling mistakes, some of the directors didn't seem to know their material, some didn't seem to understand the figures, one lacked any conviction/belief in what they were saying. In places it was embarrassing to watch, but the reality is it's just another example of what I've seen happening to the business since I joined.
    We've just released another negative trading statement to the city, admitting that we aren't performing to expectation and it's just occurred to me that we haven't given the city any positive news since I joined - and the recruitment market is supposed to be booming right now!?!?
    A lot has changed since I started, which didn't use to bother me, however, we are changing too often and and too quickly and it's starting to feel like it's all reactive and short term and done to save money and protect our profits rather than because it's the right to do for the long term future of the business and it's for this reason I worry about what the future holds.

Be honest with your people, the spin you put into all the 'inspirational' talks, presentations and sales meetings is starting to wear thin - they might work on all the new hires who don't know any better, but for those of us who've been here a while, I'd like to hear the truth for a change.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention your concerns. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to find an AD or senior manager whom you have a ... More

Good at first but the company has completely changed and is a poor example of a business and treats employees badly

Current Employee - Consultant/Senior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant/Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training and very good Learning and Development team. Good clients - however these clients are starting to see the negatives to doing business with Hydrogen and are choosing other recruitment companies as their preferred partner. I am hearing a lot of negative feedback from key clients, some now refusing to ever work with Hydrogen again because of their approach.

Cons

The company cannot stick to a vision and do not manage people or create and implement strategies well. The company is very divisional, with each practice area working independently to one another (for example Finance, Law or Oil & Gas). The company has grown too quickly and made many mistakes in terms of structuring and developing teams. They also seem to be confused as to which markets they are entering, with no clear direction or focus. This is poor from a client and candidate perspective (not to mention employee) because Hydrogen are claiming to be experts in things areas they no nothing about. Hydrogen used to be a lovely place, great culture, good consultants and managers, but the turnover is so high that this has completely changed and none of the great people want to stick around for long. This is because of the poor management, poor opinions from industry, poor career progression and also very low salaries compared to market average. The problem seems to be that Hydrogen management are trying to create a 'quick fix' to a financial problem that has been worsening for some time due to running the business badly and growing too quickly in an unsuccessful way. This quick fix is all about money and Hydrogen are forgetting that clients will be around for much longer, they all talk, and the bigger picture is not being considered. All this company look for is where is the next deal? & why are you not working with a particular account? They then bulldoze in without thinking of the client or the candidate - just trying to make quick money, a very unintelligent approach and a poor service to the client. It is not a pleasant place to work and it is somewhere I am very ashamed to be a part of.

If you want a quick fix to sell the business- then fair enough. However, if you want a business that is successful in the longer term then you really must re-address everything that is being done, and make better informed, more careful business choices. Don't take my word for it, I urge you to ask clients and candidates what their impression is and I am confident my above comments will be echoed.

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention these issues. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to raise these with your Line Manager. However, if ... More

Churn & burn seems to be management's motto

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good location, global company, great l&d and ops teams - that's about as far as the pros go.

Cons

I joined Hydrogen after graduating. The sell is that it's a quick fire way for graduates to earn a fair bit of money with uncapped commission, work in a dynamic, vibrant environment where you work hard play hard with clear opportunities for progression. Unfortunately, not one bit of this sell is true. There is no work/life balance - standard hours are 8.30am - 6.30pm on paper but realistically that's 8am post 7pm most days of the week. Some practices also impose compulsory longer hours if you aren't reaching your targets. Salaries are very poor compared to competitors as is commission structure. Leadership appears to be quite poor across the practices. Within my practice area I felt there was a real lack of professionalism from team leaders who were quick to offer their opinions on more junior members of the practice. There's very little loyalty in the business but at the very least you should expect that your team leader values the work you are doing and the contribution you are making to their pay package every month (team leaders all get a percentage of their consultants' commission...) opposed to voicing their personal opinion on individuals. It felt like being back in high school and it's generally a very unpleasant environment to work inl! It also meant there was a constant atmosphere within the teams.

Start reviewing team leadership and holding team leaders accountable for their team's performance (as well as their attitudes) instead of getting rid of more junior members of the team just because on paper they may seem easier to replace. Retention rate is terrible (8 people left our team over the last 5 months and that's just one of many in the London office!).

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen.
    We are sorry to hear that your experience here has finished on a negative note. As a matter of course, anybody that leaves the business is offered an exit

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Please never work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

The training is good and if you're good then you can make good money. However the pros don't go any further than that...

Cons

Endless, the pay is really bad, much below market rates. The commission is average. The atmosphere is awful, you are treated like a child, the senior management are really terrible. Total lack on transparency and decisions are just announced out of the blue without any consultation. The very top have been there for years and totally forgotten how to consult and take on any advice..

You are all terrible at your jobs - you should resign
    Especially the very top - totally incompetent

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your review of Hydrogen.
    We are sorry to hear that your experience here has finished on a negative note and your career, unlike others has been unable to flourish here. As a matter of
    ... More

Contractors (under NO circumstances work through this bunch) !!!!

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc

Pros

Absolutely nothing from my perspective. Staff appear harassed and incompetent - and those are I assume the good ones!

Cons

Broken promises from consultants, phone callers never returned, numerous cases of "I'll look into it and come straight back to you" and then nothing happens. Took 3 weeks to on board me! And then they have the cheek to pay contractors monthly not weekly in arrears! A month after contract finished I am STILL owed nearly £5k, and despite promises that it will be chased and looked into - NOTHING! Next call will be to my solicitors!

Get a grip, fire them all and start again!

Jun 11, 2014Digital Consultant

Thank you for your feedback. Hydrogen are committed to providing an industry leading experience for our contractors. On-boarding, especially overseas, can be a lengthy process ensuring all the right ... More

Review

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc

Pros

Good office location in the City

Cons

Political structure, in-experienced consultants, poor inter-personal skills of senior management

May 8, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for taking the time to review Hydrogen.
    Ideally, it would be great to discuss your concerns with your Line Manager, however, if this is inappropriate, or you feel unable to do so
    ... More

An out of control Sixth Form, with too much money and cocaine.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The social side of this company are a highlight
    - Employees are all of a similar age

Cons

- Constant threat of being sacked
    - 12 hour days are a minimum
    - Heavily criticised for taking sick days
    - Poor pay
    - School playground behaviour on the office floor

The place is a zoo.

May 8, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for taking the time to review your time at Hydrogen. We are always interested in the views of both our existing employees and those that have chosen to leave Hydrogen. We like to offer an ... More

Shocking Management Thinking, and Confusing Messaging

Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Some good colleagues
    - Central work location

Cons

- Half an hour job induction
    - No proper training even after 2 weeks in the job. You learn from handouts.
    - Very process oriented. Risk of getting sacked even after you bring in a new client after 2 weeks in the job without proper training, just because you don't make enough calls.
    - Singapore office generates a lot of negative vibes.
    - Long work hours with poor base salary.

They should be more clear on what is important. Making deals or making calls.

Extremely horrible working culture

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good learning ground, good database system

Cons

Hydrogen Singapore:

It's all about sending spec CVs to clients. Management does not bother to understand their staff on an individual basis. Everything is about KPIs KPIs KPIs. The attrition rate is very high and the management does not look into it as the common believe is that only the fittest will survive and the weak will leave.

You are constantly expected to be on the phone and lunch for an hour is frowned upon. Good sales people are promoted as managers and most of the time these are young aggressive boys who have no management skills whatsoever.

Look into your working culture. Start a warm and friendly culture. Get more locals to start managing or hire good local talent. You are in Asia not in UK!

Going... Going... Gone.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Started off ok last year but novelty wore off very quickly.

Great people to work with. If I didn't have this I'd have left 6 months ago. Very relaxed compared with other businesses.

Thanks honestly about it.

Cons

Where do I start.

Upper Management are seemingly all idiots.
    Culture has turned to crap.
    Salaries are diabolical (I earn less than minimum wage you would do better as a cleaner.)
    Comission is shocking, completely geared against new starters. You have to "pay" for the cost of your seat, so no commission on anything under £10,000. Likely % are about 5-10 after that which is low compared with others.
    CEO doesn't seem to really know what's happening on the ground.
    Vision is just a load of smoke
    Stuffing "values" down our throats.
    Little to no contact between disciplines.
    Other people always screwing up other people's clients, lost key business as a result.
    The list goes on....

I would not advice starting here. You'd do much better trying to jump in at the deep end elsewhere.

Actually listen to what is happening. Sort out the crap commission structure & pay people a wage that is in line the market average.

Worked for Hydrogen Group plc? Contribute to the Community!