Hydrogen Group plc

Updated November 25, 2014
2.4

Hydrogen Group plc CEO Tim Smeaton
Tim Smeaton

Miserable working culture; young uneducated dimwits running the show

Former Employee - Anonymous in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc

Pros

-Good Database
    -Non-management level colleagues
    -Some good perks - if they actually follow through with their promises
    Struggling to find more pros I'm afraid. Basic advice - don't work for this company.

Cons

-Horrific working environment; nothing you do is ever enough, extremely stressful even if you are doing well
    -Highly political
    -Long hours with no flexibility
    -Appalling commission structure
    -Low salaries
    -Very little training for junior consultants
    -Greedy, egotistical team leaders
    -Money grabbing CEO and MDs
    -Management is a joke. Most of the seniors got promoted simply because they moved over when they set up the office, not because they have ever produced anything. Most of them don't even have basic intelligence
    -Favoritism - some make it to the top because they are friends with the boss, even if they are stepping over colleagues who have more than proved their worth
    -Untrustworthy - watch out for their contract. They don't have to pay you your hard earned commission if they don't want to!

Treat your staff like human beings and not just money making machines.

No structure, horrible culture, bad remuneration

Former Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

there is nothing nice to say

Cons

Structure, management, lack transparency, no work life balance

not applicable

Was good when I was there!

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Be the best" culture
    transparent career progression
    ability to get market share quickly
    Some very high performing teams - best I've seen in recruitment

Cons

Very KPI focused business, often distracting from quality
    changed strategy too frequently
    Teams didnt work the well together, but relationship function was addressing that

Get the old trainers back - they made us better recruiters then the competition, the "in house" training was too standard with the rest of the industry.
    Hire better quality - like when the company was Finance Professionals and Project Partners ect, and far less average grads.

Started out great - went rapidly down hill

Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I joined I was attracted by the passion and energy of the directors. Good brand ad high growth.

Cons

It soon became apparent that unless you were one on the old faces (i.e. been there from the beginning) you had no hope of being recognised, whatever your results were. There was a core group of managers that had the ear of certain directors who would throw you under a bus at the first opportunity to make themselves look good. Not what I expected from a PLC. Then came the change (which was needed) but the person making the decisions had no guts and just kept the same poisoned leadership team in place. If you talk about change and opportunity, at least make honest changes rather than pandering to certain people - its so obvious!!! Glad to have moved on.

Be honest and make decision for the business rather than ones to please the old timers and friends of the CEO

Enjoyable place to work and moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience of the business has been really positive and I genuinely enjoy being at work. The company has grown quickly over the last couple of years and the culture is evolving with this growth which I feel is positive and necessary but I know some people have sruggled to adjust to this change. Having worked in a large recruitment agency it is refreshing to work somewhere where you ideas are taken on board and you feel less of a number and more valued within the organisation.
    Friendly and approachable senior management
    Black and white commission structure
    Nice balance of work hard and play hard culture
    Best training I have seen in recruitment
    Good reputation on the market place
    Strong business relationships and PSL's in place.

Cons

Need to continue to recruit strong people to move the business forwards.

Great for someone starting in recruitment but definitely not for the long term.

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Good starter training.
    - Enjoyable culture if you like to party.
    - Something to get your foot in the door.

Cons

- You are just a number; no one cares about your progression as long as you're billing.
    - Terrible management.
    - Salary is poor for the considerable amount of hours.
    - Favouritism is high; sleep with a manager and you will progress to consultant level/senior consultant!

Extremely horrible working culture

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good learning ground, good database system

Cons

Hydrogen Singapore:

It's all about sending spec CVs to clients. Management does not bother to understand their staff on an individual basis. Everything is about KPIs KPIs KPIs. The attrition rate is very high and the management does not look into it as the common believe is that only the fittest will survive and the weak will leave.

You are constantly expected to be on the phone and lunch for an hour is frowned upon. Good sales people are promoted as managers and most of the time these are young aggressive boys who have no management skills whatsoever.

Look into your working culture. Start a warm and friendly culture. Get more locals to start managing or hire good local talent. You are in Asia not in UK!

Recruitment consultant

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time

Pros

Strong brand in some practices - well networked, great reputation for being specialist and delivering. This gives a strong platform for new joiners.
    The commission structure has some mixed reviews but I tend to find the people who say it's terrible are those who are not performing to the right standard. Having researched into the market, most competitors are very ambiguous as to what you will receive commission wise and it's quite often at the discretion of their managers whereas at Hydrogen it's very transparent with even calculators so you can see what you earn each quarter.
    Great incentives - if you work hard and perform well you really do reap the benefits.

Cons

There has been a lot of change - most of it necessary - but the communication from the leadership teams has been dreadful at times which often leads to gossip which spreads like wildfire.
    It's hard to do a commission scheme where one size fits all - in some areas it can feel easier to make money.
    New hires are often not up to scratch - overconfident and never deliver. Need a better screening process.

Going... Going... Gone.

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Started off ok last year but novelty wore off very quickly.

Great people to work with. If I didn't have this I'd have left 6 months ago. Very relaxed compared with other businesses.

Thanks honestly about it.

Cons

Where do I start.

Upper Management are seemingly all idiots.
    Culture has turned to crap.
    Salaries are diabolical (I earn less than minimum wage you would do better as a cleaner.)
    Comission is shocking, completely geared against new starters. You have to "pay" for the cost of your seat, so no commission on anything under £10,000. Likely % are about 5-10 after that which is low compared with others.
    CEO doesn't seem to really know what's happening on the ground.
    Vision is just a load of smoke
    Stuffing "values" down our throats.
    Little to no contact between disciplines.
    Other people always screwing up other people's clients, lost key business as a result.
    The list goes on....

I would not advice starting here. You'd do much better trying to jump in at the deep end elsewhere.

Actually listen to what is happening. Sort out the crap commission structure & pay people a wage that is in line the market average.

Really worried about the future

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hydrogen Group plc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a recent grad keen on a party hard culture, H2 is great, 90% of the consultants are fresh out of university - the play-hard culture can be lots of fun.
    They tell a great story and can be very inspirational at times

Cons

I've been here for just over 2 years, but I am starting to get worried about what's going to happen in the next 2 years.
    We recently had a 'half year launch' and the presentations given by the senior leadership team were, in a word, awful. The slides were full of typo's and spelling mistakes, some of the directors didn't seem to know their material, some didn't seem to understand the figures, one lacked any conviction/belief in what they were saying. In places it was embarrassing to watch, but the reality is it's just another example of what I've seen happening to the business since I joined.
    We've just released another negative trading statement to the city, admitting that we aren't performing to expectation and it's just occurred to me that we haven't given the city any positive news since I joined - and the recruitment market is supposed to be booming right now!?!?
    A lot has changed since I started, which didn't use to bother me, however, we are changing too often and and too quickly and it's starting to feel like it's all reactive and short term and done to save money and protect our profits rather than because it's the right to do for the long term future of the business and it's for this reason I worry about what the future holds.

Be honest with your people, the spin you put into all the 'inspirational' talks, presentations and sales meetings is starting to wear thin - they might work on all the new hires who don't know any better, but for those of us who've been here a while, I'd like to hear the truth for a change.

Hydrogen Group plc Response

Jul 30, 2014Digital Consultant

Many thanks for your response and for bringing to our attention your concerns. As a current employee of Hydrogen, we would urge you as a first step, to find an AD or senior manager whom you have a ... More

Hydrogen Group plc Photos