Hyland Software Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
3.3

Bill Priemer

Pros
  • Constantly evolving to provide work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Competitive benefits, great work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • If you dare to not drink the company Kool-aid, you'll be fired (in 5 reviews)

• Middle management is clueless and completely detached from reality (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Best of Cleveland

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Hyland Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You're always supported by management and encouraged to run with ideas and strategy as if this were you're own business. I feel like I truly make an impact and like I'm a part of something big!

Cons

Not a lot of recognition here, employees go way beyond their call of duty and push themselves to the limit--this is expected and not rewarded as often as it should be.

Don't forget about the worker bees who put their heart and soul into making Hyland the success that it is!

Horrible experience if you don't fit the desired employee profile

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH

I worked at Hyland Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Yes it is a 'cool' company. Yes wearing whatever you want to work everyday is great. Employee perks are awesome.

Cons

There is ugly side to Hyland. Was there many years and was let go in a mean and unethical process. It does not matter if you are hard working, honest, and are in fact getting the work done. It does not matter if there are other positions which you are well qualified for. All that matters is how well you fit the desired employee profile. Once the employee removal process has started there is not much you can do to stop it.

Recognize the fact that Hyland is not as great a place as you might think it is. And don't preach family values when that only applies to those who fit the desired profile !

Excellent environment and work life balance

Former Employee - QA Representative  in  Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - QA Representative in Westlake, OH

I worked at Hyland Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly, considerate and pro employee development

Cons

Old guard as many other successful companies is challenging but not negative.

Separate between Managers and SMEs. Managers are humans with people skills, SMEs are humans with technical skills and mostly no human skills :)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience For Beginning Techie

Current Employee - Quality Assurance  in  Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance: vacation days, "flex" days, on site diner, on site daycare, volunteer time off, fun employee events (Clam and Jam, work parties, food trucks!) on site gym.

Cons

Training was pretty much non existent when I started. I was pretty much left to my own devices and had to figure out what I was suppose to do, without being told by my manager and team leader at the time.
    Spent the first month in a generic "one size fits all" review class that 90% of the material was on modules I would never use.
    While I'm lucky for being on an awesome team, I know some of my coworkers on different teams are not so lucky. (Micromanaged)

Have a better training class for individual departments. QA doesn't need the same training as a Sales rep.

Like many of the other reviews

Former Employee - Quality Assurance  in  Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Westlake, OH

I worked at Hyland Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Volunteer days, flexible-ish scheduling outside of mandated overtime during release, great internal training, very casual, wearing jeans everyday, Monday morning bagels, summer activities, good facilities

Cons

Like many other reviewers said, this is a good place to either start a career or maintain one if you just want a job that's convenient but don't want to be very high achieving career-wise. Achivements previous to Hyland don't really count at Hyland; expect to have very little responsibility for years. In QA at least, you probably won't end up interviewing with the manager who will be your manager, so you don't know quite what you'll get.
    There is a big divide between those who have been there 7+ years and the huge percent of the company who are newer. The older people spend a lot of time talking about "the good old days" when it was harder to get in the company, more people got fired, everyone knew everyone, and about the perks that they but not the newer people get (free vacation houses, sebaticals...).
    Honestly, I started off on the wrong foot when I signed my contact with great health insurance benefits only to get the company announcement 3 weeks after my start date that over the next 3 years everyone would be phased to a high deductible health plan and that I would be required to switch that year because I was having a "life event" that would add a dependent to my plan. Not exactly the "ethical and honest" the company preachs.

Generally good company - some growing pains

I have been working at Hyland Software full-time

Pros

- company values
     - work-life balance
     - flexible

Cons

- compensation
     - communication internally - getting better

Fun company to work for....From the outside.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Westlake, OH

I worked at Hyland Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of perks, fun work environment if you are right out of college.

Cons

Management, lack of direction organizationally, and resistance to change in old ways of doing things

Get a grip on the company, and especially management, or the company is sinking fast.

I Great Place to work overall

Current Employee - Quality Assurance  in  Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture is great and the company values is part of the reason I even applied. The work life balance is like that of no other company I have ever seen, if you need the time they will give it to you without even asking you what you need it for. This is a great company to work for if you are very family oriented.

Cons

The performance bonuses are not fully based on actual performance. Its based more on what your current hourly rate is and is used as a teaser.

People that are not top performers, should not get performance bonuses.

great people, poor leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Hyland Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people doing the day-to-day work are great. problem is 500 people do the work, and 1500 live off those workers. I still believe that the company is strong, but it's because of the 500 individuals that are committed to success: long term employees (10 + years) are the key, lose them and the company fails.

Cons

Poor executive leadership, especially in R&D and product development. People deciding the direction of the product lack experience and real world experience in the use of the software. The company is overly infuenced by the CTO, who is technically brilliant but incapable of allowing others' ideas to be brought forward and implemented. The culture is "click-ish" and reminds me of high school. There is no place for grievances or issues to be reported without fear of reprimand. Human Resources is inept and incapable of standing up for the empoyees. Employees do not have a trustworthy voice to air complaints, as HR will take all steps necessary to support the company and it's senior leadership over the employee.

Listen to your long term employees and act on their recommendations. We are the people who got the company through rough times and still want the best for Hyland. Stop the CTO from running the company, that is the role of the CEO, so grow a set!. Rework HR to actually care about employees AND the company, and in general, just GIVE A DAMN, please... I write this evaluation as a last resort - I've tried to effect change from within but have been unsuccessful. I still believe Hyland came fix their issues, but I am not confident I'll still be around to see it.

Great work life balance, somewhat antiquated business ideals.

I have been working at Hyland Software

Pros

Allow for a balance between work and life as a single mama working full time. I work o an amazing team and we have great communication and support.

Cons

Transparency into what is happening with the company has really seemed to just disappeared. Was nice feeling like upper management actually wanted us to be in the knob.

Bring back transparency in communicating things to employees that hit the newswire.

Worked for Hyland Software? Contribute to the Community!