Hyland Software

www.onbase.com

Hyland Software Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Bill Priemer

Pros
  • Constantly evolving to provide work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Competitive benefits, great work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • If you dare to not drink the company Kool-aid, you'll be fired (in 5 reviews)

• Middle management is clueless and completely detached from reality (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work life balance, somewhat antiquated business ideals.

ProsAllow for a balance between work and life as a single mama working full time. I work o an amazing team and we have great communication and support.

ConsTransparency into what is happening with the company has really seemed to just disappeared. Was nice feeling like upper management actually wanted us to be in the knob.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back transparency in communicating things to employees that hit the newswire.

Fun company to work for....From the outside.

Sales (Former Employee) Westlake, OH

ProsLots of perks, fun work environment if you are right out of college.

ConsManagement, lack of direction organizationally, and resistance to change in old ways of doing things

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip on the company, and especially management, or the company is sinking fast.

I Great Place to work overall

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Westlake, OH

ProsThe culture is great and the company values is part of the reason I even applied. The work life balance is like that of no other company I have ever seen, if you need the time they will give it to you without even asking you what you need it for. This is a great company to work for if you are very family oriented.

ConsThe performance bonuses are not fully based on actual performance. Its based more on what your current hourly rate is and is used as a teaser.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople that are not top performers, should not get performance bonuses.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great people, poor leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Westlake, OH

ProsThe people doing the day-to-day work are great. problem is 500 people do the work, and 1500 live off those workers. I still believe that the company is strong, but it's because of the 500 individuals that are committed to success: long term employees (10 + years) are the key, lose them and the company fails.

ConsPoor executive leadership, especially in R&D and product development. People deciding the direction of the product lack experience and real world experience in the use of the software. The company is overly infuenced by the CTO, who is technically brilliant but incapable of allowing others' ideas to be brought forward and implemented. The culture is "click-ish" and reminds me of high school. There is no place for grievances or issues to be reported without fear of reprimand. Human Resources is inept and incapable of standing up for the empoyees. Employees do not have a trustworthy voice to air complaints, as HR will take all steps necessary to support the company and it's senior leadership over the employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your long term employees and act on their recommendations. We are the people who got the company through rough times and still want the best for Hyland. Stop the CTO from running the company, that is the role of the CEO, so grow a set!. Rework HR to actually care about employees AND the company, and in general, just GIVE A DAMN, please... I write this evaluation as a last resort - I've tried to effect change from within but have been unsuccessful. I still believe Hyland came fix their issues, but I am not confident I'll still be around to see it.

No work-life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have good medical benefits. I also liked the Monday Morning Meeting, and the various health challenges and events they had for employees.

ConsThere is a strong feeling of clique-type behavior among lower management that is very hard to overcome. The company will expect you to give everything you have, but will treat you with no equal courtesy.
    I moved to Ohio with no relocation assistance and began looking for a house. My lead didn't like it if I had to leave early on a few days for that, though I always made sure to complete my work and make up any missed time as well. Once I bought my house, I put even more effort into being the kind of worker they expected of me by coming in early and staying late every day.
    It was made very clear to me that no matter what I did, it would never please my lead, and my manager blindly accepted anything my lead said. I tried to go to HR to resolve the issue, but after that, it was only a matter of time before they found the first reason they could to fire me.
    I have never worked for a company that treated me so poorly while working for them, expected so much of me in return, and fired me in the most unprofessional way they could.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Horrible people, horrible company.

Quality Assurance (Former Employee) Westlake, OH

ProsThere are no pros unless you consider free soda a pro. Keep in mind that you'll be paid 35% less than market average for the "free" soda, though.

ConsIf you ever oppose upper management, you'll be blacklisted and you will be out of a job faster than your mind can process the idea. If you dare to not drink the company Kool-aid, you'll be fired. If you are looking to work a bunch of overtime, be overwhelmed with work, be treated like a mindless drone, all while not being appreciated, you may enjoy working here. Management will also lie to the HR department if they want an employee gone. It's really sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementBill Priemer is a joke. He allows his C-level managers get away with murder while treating their employees horribly. All the management and staff are one huge clique. Stop lying, start paying people what they're worth, and stop discriminating against employees who have legitimate medical problems.

Drink the cool-aid or be consumed

Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) Andover, MA

ProsFree Snacks and Coffee, friendly atmosphere, great perks, team mentality is very helpful, Bagels and other foods for Monday meetings.

ConsManagement is clueless, Hardware is obsolete, training for job is atrocious, if you're not willing to work a ton of free overtime and don't really REALLY love the Cleveland Browns, you'll be pushed to the outside of the herd and consumed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemote offices are neglected and treated like second class citizens and then expected to conform to incomparable standards. When the head office gets a big cookout and go-karts, and the remote office gets pizza, it murders morale.

Great Culture with a work-life balance second to none

Quality Assurance (Current Employee)

ProsThe people are amazing and the culture is fantastic. I appreciate most of all that work-life balance is not something just talked about but truly lived by everyone who is part of the Hyland family, including management. Also, Hyland appreciates their employees and finds ways to show it; we are constantly recognized for doing outstanding work. And of course, there is plenty of growth opportunities which makes me eager to stay.

ConsThe pay could be better; but then again who doesn't want more money.
    A lot of focus seems to be on those employees that are struggling or damaging team cohesiveness; if problem employees were dealt with without as much coddling and exceptional employees were recognized, the environment would be that much better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to respect and encourage your employees and don't treat them equally... let your star players shine and know that they are exceeding your expectations and don't coddle those who aren't "wowing" you.

Great place to start your career. Growth is now stagnating.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing culture, amazing people, and an absolutely fantastic working environment. Everything is completely open which can be a little noisy, but overall great.

ConsGrowth is flattening out - many businesses cannot justify a document scanning project. There are other technologies that are easier to use and cheaper and faster to deploy that take priority over an ECM project - it is largely not considered a mission critical application.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeasure results. When something isn't working, stop doing it.

We are one team. And So Can You.

Office of the Chief Technology Officer (Current Employee) Westlake, OH

ProsThe people are the absolute #1. We're all in this together sharing a common goal and everyone from the top down knows it. It's motivating to know that all the people near you are striving to do their best.

Hyland continues to have a "small company" feel even as they've grown. Chance meetings become lasting friendships outside of work. People are recognized for the good that they do: it isn't too much and it isn't too little.

ConsHyland's pay may not match the "industry standard", but working at Hyland isn't just about the pay. It's about the work-life balance you get working here. If you're looking at just pure compensation, Hyland may not be the right place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep bringing in high caliber people that mesh well with our culture. Never lose that one-team spirit.

Worked for Hyland Software? Contribute to the Community!