Hypercom

3.4

Clint Jones
1 Rating

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lot of opportunities in a challenging company

Current Employee - Job Title  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Job Title in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hypercom

Pros

good people in many international positions

Cons

Company was purchased by competitor

Decent pay, decent work, but horrible communcations and work environment

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Hypercom

Pros

The pay is very competitive for engineering. That's about all I can say, so I'm just filling extra words in here to meet the 20-word minimum.

Cons

The work environment is lousy: instead of offices or cubicles, they have a bullpen seating arrangement. It's very noisy, with overhead A/C units running all day, people talking, people walking by, etc., so it's impossible to concentrate on engineering work requiring thought and concentration.

Also, the communication between management and engineering staff is non-existent, unless there's an emergency. Roadmaps, product plans, etc. are never communicated except by rumor. There are zero staff meetings, communications meetings, etc. to keep employees aware of the company's direction, what products they'll be working on in the upcoming months, etc. Staff are never approached for their professional inputs into new products or how anything should be done.

Lastly, management for some reason is very reluctant to provide the computing resources needed to do proper software engineering.

Go to some well-run companies and learn how they run their businesses. Management at this company seems to have no clue. In other jobs I've had, my 2nd- and 3rd-level managers were on a first-name basis with me, even though I was a lowly engineer. At Hypercom, I've never even met them, much less talked to them.

Worked for Hypercom? Contribute to the Community!