Hyundai America Technical Center

Just okay

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Superior Township, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Superior Township, MI

I worked at Hyundai America Technical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay and benefits are decent, although U.S. based OEM's (e.g., Ford, GM) are now offering competitive compensation packages. Employees are generally very nice and professional. Smaller company structure may present work/tasks that one would not have at a larger company.

Cons

The Korean corporate culture does not provide opportunities for highly-driven employees to thrive within the business. Lack of accountability across the organization, often difficult to get things done in an efficient manner. Employee performance assessment process is not taken seriously, management spends no or little effort on it. Lack of advancement opportunities due to the size of the organization. Limited opportunities to take an assignment abroad even though it's a global company.

Promote a U.S. based employee to President. Improve communication with other U.S. based units (HMA, KMA) and HQ in S. Korea. Align benefit package with that offered to HMA/KMA employees, including vehicle discounts. Promotions should be based on an employee's ability and not tied to years of service with the company.

It could be so great, but it definitely is not. Horrible Management.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Hyundai America Technical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay and benefits like gas allowance and zero premium for healthcare are pretty nice, on the high end for the area. Although a huge company, the Ann Arbor building is like a smaller family community. The potential is there for cool R&D projects.

Cons

You would think most of the complaints would be about the Korean culture and management, however I found that it is mostly the incompetent US management that is the most frustrating. Most of the better ones have quit. On a whole, it it is like death by 1000 cuts, it is not one thing that gets you but many little things. For the most part if you are an engineer you will be asked to make powerpoint presentations, then rewrite them ten times and add lots of pictures. Rinse and repeat dozens of times a year. Then you may be asked to send it or present it to Korea where most likely it will go into a black hole. Almost zero US projects ever make it into a car. Another common activity is benchmarking at autoshows and so forth. This can be interesting, depends on the person. The US management keeps promising more design work but for the most part Korea does not trust this office and you will mostly release changes that Korea has already made. Also frustrating is any time a Korean VIP is visiting, everything must be cleaned and painted (they will paint the same wall 10 times a year) and you basically can't conduct actual work. I've seen this other places, but not to this extent. I was told to bring up random 3-D models and rotate them for hours as if I was working on it several times by the US management. Bottom line, if you want decent pay and don't mind jumping through hoops and can put up with the ridiculousness, not a bad place. If you want to feel like you accomplished something at work, don't work here.

Have a President who sticks around for more than the 5 year term and has a plan. Have the leadership (Koreans) talk to the lower level workers instead of being fooled by the US staff showing everything is great.

Friendly, but boring and not promising

Current Employee - Engineer I  in  Superior Township, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Superior Township, MI

I have been working at Hyundai America Technical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay isn't bad and the health benefits are great. The opportunity to travel is always there. North American Management cares about their employees, and will respect your opinion. Talented engineers who are willing to help develop younger employees.

Cons

There is no formal process for anything in this company. IT, HR, finance, and accounting have no idea what they are doing and the turn over rate reflects this. Technology is not on the cutting edge at all, so if you want to work for a company to learn about how other companies are doing it this is a great place to come and prepare yourself to move somewhere else. All travel is reimbursement based, which includes everything but the flight and reimbursements can take anywhere from days to weeks. North American Senior Management promotes a lot of promising fluff and it leads to no action and disgruntled employees, but this is only because Korean Management will not loosen the leash they have on North America. The Korean counterparts do not understand the North American market, but refuse to utilize the talent that is already here for that purpose.

Honestly... I'm not sure there's much management can do on the North American side, because the culture in Korea is pretty much set in stone. Following the trends of automotive industry leaders will not promise a positive future for this company, so stop trying to copy technology you don't understand and actually try to implement the innovation that's preached in vain. Implement real processes and stop holding money that can be used to build a better company. There's more money spent on pointless endeavors and less used to pay employees competitive salaries.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work experience and interesting projects but lack of systems for employees to reach full potential

Former Employee - Powertrain Engineer  in  Superior Township, MI
    Former Employee - Powertrain Engineer in Superior Township, MI

I worked at Hyundai America Technical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great location, building, and facilities
    - Interesting work and projects
    - Multi-cultural experience with Korean staff

Cons

- Poor HR and systems to get things done
    - Not much orientation at start
    - Lots of bouncing around to find answers/responsibilities

Improve orientation and organization/information sharing

Company has great potential, but 10-15 years away from being a legitimate option for local, high achieving individuals

I worked at Hyundai America Technical Center full-time

Pros

Good commute
    New facility
    Decent work/life balance

Cons

Extremely poor HR leadership - Korean ex-pat makes all decisions with very limited understanding of American culture or norms; ZERO compassion
    Very distinct cultural challenges
    Lack of overall vision and direction from leadership
    Inordinate amount of turnover (would guess nearly 40% or so)
    Pay not as competitive as it was a few years ago; most how leave are able to command +10% salary increase before negotiation
    Limited opportunity to move to other functional areas (cannot move to HMA or KMA marketing and sales arms without significant resistance)
    No understanding of American culture
    No employee retention plan or development
    Senior leadership changes every 4 years - no continuity in most senior leadership position
    No matter how great your ideas are, limited acknowledgement
    Core values are more "talk" than "walk"

As GM, Ford, and Chrysler become stronger and offer more competitive compensation benefits, HATCI will have difficulty attracting and retaining top talent. It would behoove leadership to be cognizant of that fact before the building is totally empty.

I would never in good conscience recommend that a colleague join the team there.

HATCI will either drive you to drink or excel, will depend on which functional area you work in.

Current Employee - Engineer II  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Hyundai America Technical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are great and building is nice and new. We work on some very interesting cutting-edge stuff in some areas and have opportinuties to set our own goals and projects.

Cons

Culture is very hard to learn to work within and adapt to, especially if you are not the majority. Building is very segmented into groups which at times work against each other preventing the accomplishment of anything other than casting blame.

Management needs to pick a direction and stick with it - R&D or production support. Listen to all the employees when making decisions that affect us all.

Depressing and repressive environment.

I worked at Hyundai America Technical Center

Pros

The pay, benefits, job securities are great for the engineer and manager titled positions.

Cons

The organization lacks career growth opportunities, leadership and control, operational structure.

Overhaul the organizational structure design, employee performance evaluation structure and process. Also, create the permanent U.S. Office Managing Partner position who oversees and authority over the entire operation of the center and managements, and staff this position with the bilingual person who knows American structures and living.

Not bad, but not great

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Superior Township, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Superior Township, MI

I have been working at Hyundai America Technical Center as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

-Friendly and Diverse Atmosphere
    -Work/Life Balance
    -Some Managers seem to really care about their contract employees
    -Very Knowledgeable Team Members that are open to help and answer questions
    -Travel Opportunities

Cons

-Poor Turnover Rate
    -No concrete processes and can become mundane
    -Contract employee probably won't get hired (may never get fired either)
    -Korean "Thank you for your opinion, but we won't/can't implement it unless we feel like it" response to everything
    -Mobis is the main supplier (owned by Hynudai) and they act on their own
    -Poor communication between Hyundai Korea, Hyundai America, Mobis Korea, Mobis America, etc.
    -Too much inconsistency for electrical systems, and no design is done in the US.
    If you're looking for a true engineering experience for EE/EET/Comp.E/SoftwareE to implement what you've studied... I wouldn't suggest this as the best place to start. HATCI is strictly a validation center, unless you're higher up there's no real opportunity for electrical or software design.

I won't necessarily speak negatively about the US Mgt., but Korean Coordinators should learn to communicate information to decrease possible confusion and lead to very unhappy or frustrated employees. I believe the American Mgt. could be great should they receive information on time and in ENGLISH. Time is wasted on issues that are either never addressed or already addressed, but no one knows until time and energy has been wasted driving in the wrong direction. Communication is the greatest issue. While it's understood that Hyundai/Kia is a Korean company and we should respect this, please remember that American input is valuable when selling in an American Market. Stop wasting time and money on redundancy that is ineffective.

Whatever you do, don't work here, take a job at half the pay, beg on the street, anything, do not accept a job here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Hyundai America Technical Center

Pros

Job responsibility expectations are low.

Cons

Everything else. Contract employees are taken advantage of. Pay and benefits are far below industry average and opportunities for change or promotion are nil. To survive here one just has to say "yes sir" and tolerate the slow pace. It's great for someone that is extremely patient and can tiptoe through the Korean cultural standards for years on end. However, it's like a mine field, and one can only tiptoe so long until our Americaness comes out to undermine our efforts toward advancement.

Stop screwing over contract employees!

"My way or the highway".

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Chino, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chino, CA

I have been working at Hyundai America Technical Center

Pros

My job, although not a perfect situation, at least keeps me very busy with technical issues that I was hired to do. This absorbs me in a good way and don't try to think of all of the Korean culture BS. The good thing is that most of the American staff is congenial and understands how you feel.

Cons

The prevailing Korean culture that is best describes as "Daddy knows best". or "My way or the highway". Some of the downsides of working at Hyundai America Technical Center is that your opinion doesn't really matter - even if you have years and years of experience in the industry.

Let the Americans help you run the show like Toyota. The Koreans have no clue about the American car market and related businesses and customer demands.

Worked for Hyundai America Technical Center? Contribute to the Community!