Hyundai America Technical Center

Not yet rated.

SungHwan Cho

Just okay

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Superior Township, MI

ProsPay and benefits are decent, although U.S. based OEM's (e.g., Ford, GM) are now offering competitive compensation packages. Employees are generally very nice and professional. Smaller company structure may present work/tasks that one would not have at a larger company.

ConsThe Korean corporate culture does not provide opportunities for highly-driven employees to thrive within the business. Lack of accountability across the organization, often difficult to get things done in an efficient manner. Employee performance assessment process is not taken seriously, management spends no or little effort on it. Lack of advancement opportunities due to the size of the organization. Limited opportunities to take an assignment abroad even though it's a global company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote a U.S. based employee to President. Improve communication with other U.S. based units (HMA, KMA) and HQ in S. Korea. Align benefit package with that offered to HMA/KMA employees, including vehicle discounts. Promotions should be based on an employee's ability and not tied to years of service with the company.

Friendly, but boring and not promising

Engineer I (Current Employee) Superior Township, MI

ProsThe pay isn't bad and the health benefits are great. The opportunity to travel is always there. North American Management cares about their employees, and will respect your opinion. Talented engineers who are willing to help develop younger employees.

ConsThere is no formal process for anything in this company. IT, HR, finance, and accounting have no idea what they are doing and the turn over rate reflects this. Technology is not on the cutting edge at all, so if you want to work for a company to learn about how other companies are doing it this is a great place to come and prepare yourself to move somewhere else. All travel is reimbursement based, which includes everything but the flight and reimbursements can take anywhere from days to weeks. North American Senior Management promotes a lot of promising fluff and it leads to no action and disgruntled employees, but this is only because Korean Management will not loosen the leash they have on North America. The Korean counterparts do not understand the North American market, but refuse to utilize the talent that is already here for that purpose.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly... I'm not sure there's much management can do on the North American side, because the culture in Korea is pretty much set in stone. Following the trends of automotive industry leaders will not promise a positive future for this company, so stop trying to copy technology you don't understand and actually try to implement the innovation that's preached in vain. Implement real processes and stop holding money that can be used to build a better company. There's more money spent on pointless endeavors and less used to pay employees competitive salaries.

Company has great potential, but 10-15 years away from being a legitimate option for local, high achieving individuals

ProsGood commute
    New facility
    Decent work/life balance

ConsExtremely poor HR leadership - Korean ex-pat makes all decisions with very limited understanding of American culture or norms; ZERO compassion
    Very distinct cultural challenges
    Lack of overall vision and direction from leadership
    Inordinate amount of turnover (would guess nearly 40% or so)
    Pay not as competitive as it was a few years ago; most how leave are able to command +10% salary increase before negotiation
    Limited opportunity to move to other functional areas (cannot move to HMA or KMA marketing and sales arms without significant resistance)
    No understanding of American culture
    No employee retention plan or development
    Senior leadership changes every 4 years - no continuity in most senior leadership position
    No matter how great your ideas are, limited acknowledgement
    Core values are more "talk" than "walk"

Advice to Senior ManagementAs GM, Ford, and Chrysler become stronger and offer more competitive compensation benefits, HATCI will have difficulty attracting and retaining top talent. It would behoove leadership to be cognizant of that fact before the building is totally empty.

I would never in good conscience recommend that a colleague join the team there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work experience and interesting projects but lack of systems for employees to reach full potential

Powertrain Engineer (Former Employee) Superior Township, MI

Pros- Great location, building, and facilities
    - Interesting work and projects
    - Multi-cultural experience with Korean staff

Cons- Poor HR and systems to get things done
    - Not much orientation at start
    - Lots of bouncing around to find answers/responsibilities

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove orientation and organization/information sharing

HATCI will either drive you to drink or excel, will depend on which functional area you work in.

Engineer II (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsBenefits are great and building is nice and new. We work on some very interesting cutting-edge stuff in some areas and have opportinuties to set our own goals and projects.

ConsCulture is very hard to learn to work within and adapt to, especially if you are not the majority. Building is very segmented into groups which at times work against each other preventing the accomplishment of anything other than casting blame.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to pick a direction and stick with it - R&D or production support. Listen to all the employees when making decisions that affect us all.

Depressing and repressive environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay, benefits, job securities are great for the engineer and manager titled positions.

ConsThe organization lacks career growth opportunities, leadership and control, operational structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the organizational structure design, employee performance evaluation structure and process. Also, create the permanent U.S. Office Managing Partner position who oversees and authority over the entire operation of the center and managements, and staff this position with the bilingual person who knows American structures and living.

Not bad, but not great

Engineer (Current Employee) Superior Township, MI

Pros-Friendly and Diverse Atmosphere
    -Work/Life Balance
    -Some Managers seem to really care about their contract employees
    -Very Knowledgeable Team Members that are open to help and answer questions
    -Travel Opportunities

Cons-Poor Turnover Rate
    -No concrete processes and can become mundane
    -Contract employee probably won't get hired (may never get fired either)
    -Korean "Thank you for your opinion, but we won't/can't implement it unless we feel like it" response to everything
    -Mobis is the main supplier (owned by Hynudai) and they act on their own
    -Poor communication between Hyundai Korea, Hyundai America, Mobis Korea, Mobis America, etc.
    -Too much inconsistency for electrical systems, and no design is done in the US.
    If you're looking for a true engineering experience for EE/EET/Comp.E/SoftwareE to implement what you've studied... I wouldn't suggest this as the best place to start. HATCI is strictly a validation center, unless you're higher up there's no real opportunity for electrical or software design.

Advice to Senior ManagementI won't necessarily speak negatively about the US Mgt., but Korean Coordinators should learn to communicate information to decrease possible confusion and lead to very unhappy or frustrated employees. I believe the American Mgt. could be great should they receive information on time and in ENGLISH. Time is wasted on issues that are either never addressed or already addressed, but no one knows until time and energy has been wasted driving in the wrong direction. Communication is the greatest issue. While it's understood that Hyundai/Kia is a Korean company and we should respect this, please remember that American input is valuable when selling in an American Market. Stop wasting time and money on redundancy that is ineffective.

Whatever you do, don't work here, take a job at half the pay, beg on the street, anything, do not accept a job here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsJob responsibility expectations are low.

ConsEverything else. Contract employees are taken advantage of. Pay and benefits are far below industry average and opportunities for change or promotion are nil. To survive here one just has to say "yes sir" and tolerate the slow pace. It's great for someone that is extremely patient and can tiptoe through the Korean cultural standards for years on end. However, it's like a mine field, and one can only tiptoe so long until our Americaness comes out to undermine our efforts toward advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop screwing over contract employees!

"My way or the highway".

Engineer (Current Employee) Chino, CA

ProsMy job, although not a perfect situation, at least keeps me very busy with technical issues that I was hired to do. This absorbs me in a good way and don't try to think of all of the Korean culture BS. The good thing is that most of the American staff is congenial and understands how you feel.

ConsThe prevailing Korean culture that is best describes as "Daddy knows best". or "My way or the highway". Some of the downsides of working at Hyundai America Technical Center is that your opinion doesn't really matter - even if you have years and years of experience in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the Americans help you run the show like Toyota. The Koreans have no clue about the American car market and related businesses and customer demands.

Worst Career Nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAnnual bonus is better than industry average

ConsDo not ever come to this pothole, you won't get out once you set your feet in. Times here will be a total waste of your career, wait, your life. Very bad vibes going around here. Everyone wants out and turnover rate is 40~50% within first 3 years. Tells a story? To make things worse, even if you are extremely talented and want to move to other Hyundai/Kia affiliates (HMA/KMA/KMMG/HMMA) after finding you really can't change anything here, managers and coordinators will do their best to stop your relocation. Why? Cuz it makes themselves look bad , don't care about you or your career. If you want to really work for Hyundai/Kia, work somewhere else but HATCI.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou already should know by now why so many people are leaving, except you guys in high chairs

Worked for Hyundai America Technical Center? Contribute to the Community!