Hyundai Motor America

Add Photos

John Krafcik

Good Place, Great People

Manager (Current Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsBeen on the job for a short period and really getting to know some great people. Dynamic organization with people with their heart in the work.

ConsGetting used to the layers of having to report through Korea which seems to slow the decision making process... but slowly getting how that works.

Average Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany Perks and end of the year holiday

ConsDifferent Cultures and limited opportunity

High expectations with low pay

Customer Service (Current Employee) Sumter Junction, SC

ProsPaid training, work for home, no AHT

ConsVery extensive quality matrix that all calls are graded on.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up with quality matrix!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be prepared to feel like a second citizen to the parent company in Korea.

Service Department Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNice people even if they are all depressed.

ConsThe pay is low and you will have to help the people who have been there too long and don't know how to work anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of managers that don't know how to mentor! If no one likes the boss why would anyone want to work for them?

Working for Hyundai was challenging. They expect there sales force to get by on very little.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe quality is better than Toyota and Honda. Best warranty in America.

ConsThe worst bonus system. You have to tell the customer to lie on the survey. Hyundai sends surveys to all customers after 2 weeks of taking delivery. The survey asks customers to rate there overall experience. Its from 1-10. In order to qualify for your bonus you need a score of 930 overall. If you have one customer who gives you less than 7 your tanked and wont make any money for a while. If you get 2 customers that tank you, it could take 3 months to get your score back up. So every sales person coaches the customer to give all 10. But there are always those customers who want to express themselves because finance took too long or they felt they didn't get the car for free. What people don't understand is we are not making money on new cars. If you think you can raise a family selling new cars today your crazy. The only way to make up the difference is with this extra Hyundai money. So you make $100 on new and $50 from Hyundai if your customer service index is good. I have seen so many good sales people get tanked on survey from circumstances they had no control of. It's sad.

If you are not Korean and are near a large Korean population you are at a big disadvantage especially if you managers are Korean and there are Korean sales consultants. Koreans customers prefer to work only with Korean, even the Koreans who speak and understand English well. You greet a Korean customer and they will walk right by you and search for a Korean sales person. Its horrible and blatantly rude. If they do talk to you they say " Any Korean person available" in person or over the phone. Imagine if a white person walks in to a Ford dealership and a Korean sales person greets him and the customer says " white person please". Its the same thing, just reversed. The Korean management nurse and feed the Korean sales people like a bird feeds it's Chiclets. Your on the outs from the get go. I'm not saying you wont be appreciated and respected, you just wont be a insider. They communicate in Korean all day long. Now that said, there are the dealerships with no Koreans and no Korean customers. There completely different but the sales bonus is still the same. Here is LA there is a large Korean population. So it might be different where you live.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking in Korean if not everyone in the room can understand. Its rude.

Good pay and benefits

Service Department Manager (Current Employee) Fountain Valley, CA

ProsBenefits and pay are competitive. Great company events. There are also more job promotion opportunities if you are in the sales area.

ConsCareer development is limited unless you want to retire in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to take ownership of the company in terms of people development and future planning.

Poor company to work for

Training Instructor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosno pros for this company

ConsThey do what ever they want to people legal or not. Their cars are total junk.

Advice to Senior ManagementDissolve this company and do the world a favor.

Arrogance and blatantly racist group

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fountain Valley, Orange, CA

ProsIt was close to home, the cars are getting better

Consi am not Korean or Asian- this had a marked difference in how i was treated and spoken to or even around by the Korean overlords.
    the cars are getting better but are largely junk, and the warranty is the selling point, because the whole car ends up getting warrantied by 120 days

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is talent, and respect them, otherwise this arrogant corporate culture you have will kill it self.

Poor Leadership

Engineer (Current Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsGreat products and styling. Good engineering.

ConsKorean Managers are slave drivers. They don't understand

Great exposure to the new field due to the role of my team, not the company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fountain Valley, Orange, CA

ProsWork-life balance
    People are generally nice to work with
    Very stable job

ConsHorrible building (re-building a new one now, tho)
    Too much politics with Korean macho management
    Other than few teams, it's difficult to relate the company to innovation or new ideas
    No training or career development program

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are not many young people due to the slow pace and rigid structure. Manage Korea HQ people well because they often creat cultural frictions.

Worked for Hyundai Motor America? Contribute to the Community!