I Drive Safely

3.3

George Montgomery

The new IDS

I have been working at I Drive Safely

Pros

Alternative workweek (every other Friday off), lots of smart & talented individuals, new management is bringing about more internal promotions and a better office environment, great benefits, company is experiencing a lot of growth - excited to see what's to come.

Cons

Training opportunities aren't available for everyone

Keep going in the right direction

Stuck in the Mud

Former Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at I Drive Safely full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedules with every other Friday off and 11 work-from-home days every year. Benefits package is also a plus.

Coworkers that are still left are mostly young, energetic, and genuinely nice.

Cons

Pay is significantly under market value.

Most of the smart and talented people have left in the last year.
    What's left for the most part are older managers forced to oversee employees whose jobs fall far outside of their scope of expertise.

Office environment is depressing.
    The company has decided to cut payroll through attrition after posting a $2.1M loss from last year, which has created a vast cubicle desert. Of the ~80 cubicles in the main office, only about 25 are filled. Talking aloud to the person next to you is frowned upon, and the company now employs Microsoft's Lync service to track each and every moment of the day. Leave your desk for 5 minutes? Lync will notify your boss and the rest of the office that you are away from your PC. Nothing says modern company with great environment like being able to hear a coworker quietly clear their throat while typing from 150ft away. The place used to be buzzing with chatter and a flow of ideas. Now? A librarian would have trouble dealing with so much silence.

The example set by management.
    If you're looking to work in a place where your manager routinely holds hour-long meetings and dedicates half of that time to rehashing their dating adventures as a divorced parent, then by all means, apply at I Drive Safely.
     Don't be surprised when the same manager begins tracking you down to the minute for time spent away from your desk and on breaks. Get used to management spreading rumors, divulging personal information about coworkers FMLA, and following statements up with "If you repeat that to anyone I will deny it and fire you." Getting some juicy gossip is great, but not when you don't ask or care to know about it. These same managers take time off to fix their leaky faucets and paint their living rooms, but expect you to take the job seriously.

The HR Department
    Be prepared for the ultimate display of hypocritical behavior. You'll be in a meeting discussing HR appropriate behavior one minute, and the next see the same HR manager sneaking alcohol into company events where everyone is on the clock. Pretty awesome when you consider we're a company built on safe driving, and most of the people drinking along and sneaking sips of alcohol here and there like high school students will be driving home. Ever wanted to relive your High School days? Well do it here! Like clockwork you too can have HR walk up and down the aisles and note who is and is not in their cubes at that moment, while also sitting in the company meetings and noting reactions and comments from each person.

Apply here and you'll be pitched on a growing company that is pushing boundaries. What they'll leave out is that they are hemorrhaging money, and they aren't sure if and when things are going to turn around.

There is still some untapped talent sprinkled throughout the building, but almost all of them are looking to leave. Invest in these people before they decide they've had enough.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at I Drive Safely

Pros

Positive work environment
    Good advancement opportunity
    Lateral movement is very possible
    Challenging
    Causal environment
    Company is growing fast

Cons

There are some bad apples, but there are bad apples at every company.

No advice as of now.

Pretty good place to work

I have been working at I Drive Safely full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Excellent Benefits package
    -Smart people
    -Well-established, stable company
    -Good products
    -Good, solid management with open communication
    -No micromanagement

Cons

-Working with development team overseas can be challenging
    -Not typical 8-5 day, much is expected
    -No Extra budget for technology or professional development

Work a little more on company culture. Continue to work towards making the work environment a place people want to come to.

Not the best place to work

I have been working at I Drive Safely

Pros

Benefits are good
    Pay is good for both professionals (Marketing, Finance, etc) and customer service department
    Schedule is flexible for both professionals and customer service

Cons

Some really bad apples there.
    A lot of politics and gossip within the office.
    No growth opportunity. There have been people in the same position for 5+ years that are well over qualified for their current position.
    Communication is very tough within departments.
    Everyone is very territorial.
    Lack of culture within the company.
    Micro managing from the top down.
    Opinions and new ideas are usually shot down.

Listen to your employees. There are some good people there that don't get their voice heard.