IA Collaborative

3.6

CEO

Inspiring & Empowering

I have been working at IA Collaborative full-time

Pros

I've really appreciated my time at IA. I feel that IA is on the cutting edge of how people work. Some specific pros include:
    - Passion-driven work. The people at IA are very passionate about their trade and that comes through everyday.
    - Big time clients. Everybody is always surprised by IA's client list. They're all large and important companies. That makes it more exciting to work on projects.
    - Independence. IA let's employees run with projects and is much more open to new ideas or ways of working than other firms I've been at. The principals care about the results of the work, but they also let people be self-guided in figuring it out.
    - Cool design work. the designers at IA are always progressive and creative.
    - Strategic. IA is not a place that's just designing for design sake. the company puts high value on being strategic and user research
    - Client exposure. Team members often have chance to "be at the table" for meetings.
    - Cutting edge. Leadership seeks out projects that focus on new thinking and innovation
    - For what it's worth, I've found the compensation is quite competitive. They offer profit sharing and major health insurance.

Cons

- High level of autonomy requires that employees "step up" their game - so you have to come with that mindset. It's a fast paced, progressive company where even junior employees are expected to work at a high level. You get exposure to clients and principals very quickly. I think you have to be mentally prepared for that.
    - Some projects require U.S. or international travel. While not frequently, if you're not into travel, it might not be the ideal spot for you.

Continue to Get Top Talent: I've never worked somewhere that had such high-level design thinkers and strategists. One day you're working with an Ivy-league MBA, the next a designer from RISD. IA should continue to focus on top talent due to the high-profile work that's done there.

The potential is excellent but wish the culture was better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at IA Collaborative full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work at IA are absolutely amazing. HR does a great job bringing in employees who are smart, enthusiastic, and genuine. I look forward to going into work everyday just to see my coworkers, they are truly some of my best friends.

Cons

Management can be overly controlling and nit-picky on minute details which get in the way of having a relaxed and productive culture. More often than not, it feels like employees have to walk on egg shells to avoid saying or doing the 'wrong thing' around upper management.

Room to grow

Current Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IA Collaborative full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful projects, great minds and people working hard to push innovation for clients forward.

Cons

For the amount of time, effort and commitment involved, you get paid peanuts. Also, while most people there are friendly, there are some very big egos. HR can be a nightmare.

IA Collaborative provides the future focused clients with various perspective of their users and good direction.

Current Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IA Collaborative full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn about many beneficial points in collaboration from different design professionals.
    Discovering and understanding customers' various perspectives.

Cons

Short amount of time for design not only periodically causes a rush work but also partly prevent quality design outcomes.

IA should invest time and energy on creating/serving a future IA potential business instead of solely fulfilling current clients' demands.

The Years of Growth & Development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IA Collaborative full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

+ fairly flat structure
    + entrepreneurial environment
    + direct access to management
    + fosters a passion/play environment
    + project work is inspiring
    + company portfolio is filled with very large brands
    + multidisciplinary collaboration
    + ownership and autonomy in roles

Cons

- extremely fast paced, may not be ideal for everyone

Hire the right people and continue to provide each employee with an enriched experience

Pros: Brilliant coworkers, great creative department, Cons: fledgling company culture

I worked at IA Collaborative

Pros

- Great clients and projects
    - Honestly the most intelligent group of people I have ever worked with
    - The firm has a hard time keeping talent. People stay for a year or so and then move on to less stressful environments

Cons

- Work/Life balance slants with most employees never being ‘off’
    - Low sense of cohesion among staff
    - Salaries lower than expected