IAC Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated September 10, 2014
4.0

IAC CEO Greg Blatt
Greg Blatt

Pros
  • There was a great work/life balance and true feeling of appreciation for employees (in 9 reviews)

• Great people, good benefits, and the most beautiful building in Chelsea (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of room for growth; senior management is out of touch with the office; promotions are based on favoritism; compensation is not competitive (in 7 reviews)

• in addition, there continues to be a huge lack of communication between different teams (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tremendous benefits, competitive salary, and truly values engineering and innovation

Cons

None really. It's a good place to work. Some areas could be better, but grown ups shouldn't complain about the kind of cookies in the break room.

Take a more active role in the community and improve developer relations

Great company and fun environment

Former Employee - Business Development  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I worked at IAC part-time for more than a year

Pros

During my time here, there were a lot of outside events held to create a fun and tightly knit community. It was easy to fit in and I worked with different divisions

Cons

needs more relevant work depending on your job title

Perks and benefits good-to-great, corp culture meh

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have free parking - in NYC! There are lots of free snacks on every floor, free soda, coffee, etc. Compensation is not bad, although I could be doing better. 401-K matching. Good dental and vision coverage; pretty good medical coverage, and several options. FSA and HSA accounts. Company does an organized volunteer day, health fair days, and blood drives yearly. IAC has a wide array of subsidiary companies, various web properties. Generally good people working at each subsidiary. I've worked at 3 different subs: The company works hard to keep good people here. If they get laid off at one subsidiary, HR tries hard to find a job for them at another.

Cons

The corporate culture, instilled from the top down, is one of competition between subsidiaries. There's a Darwinian survival of the fittest atmosphere. That's great but it engenders no cooperation or synergy. There's a lot of recreating the wheel that goes on, a lot of wasted time, effort, and resources that could be put to such better use. Further, in the larger subs, this culture trickles down and even different units in one subsidiary can find themselves in competition. It's as silly as people from different projects not socializing. People from different companies DEFINITELY don't socialize. This is a really weird, isolating practice that is counterproductive and wasteful. Lastly, on another subject, the vacation policy is VERY stingy. Two weeks per year until you have been here five or even six years, depending on the subsidiary (although some do have an unlimited vacation policy, but none I've worked for).

Consider how much money could be saved by exploiting synergies between companies; by finding ways to cooperatively develop systems that more than one subsidiary company needs; by merging HR functions from all subsidiaries and standardizing HR policies across all of them. Consider how much morale would be improved without this dog-eat-dog mentality coming from the very top down.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company!

Former Employee - Product Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Intern in New York, NY

I worked at IAC as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Casual environment, lots of opportunity for growth, mobility between all the subsidiaries, basically no dress code, good location in Chelsea

Cons

Sometimes too casual, a lot of young people that don't necessarily seem to be dedicated employees, some companies go flop within IAC because it funds a lot of internet brands

Large company/small company dichotomy is great; Health coverage is comparatively bad

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the model of a large company which owns several small companies (one of which, I work for) because you get the small company feel with the big company security.

Cons

If you're not on the west coast IAC's Aetna PPO is pretty horrible compared to others in the same industry. $300 deductible and 15% coinsurance! I've never before had a deductible or coinsurance under any company-provided health insurance in my long carrer. This is something you should strongly consider when making the decision to work for an IAC company if you will not be based on the west coast.

Simple: give us a better health insurance option.

Cool company, decent benefits

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at IAC full-time for more than a year

Pros

very cool headquarter building in nyc

Cons

I was working for an internal start up that failed, never had a clear business strategy or direction

Review of IAC (Located in Chelsea Piers on the west side of Manhattan)

Former Employee - Staff Accountant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at IAC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life is highly valued at the company. Happy hours every two weeks are nice too. The employees are extremely friendly, and it has a very diverse group of people. They also throw an amazing Christmas party, and the building is really cool.

Cons

Location in Chelsea Piers is highly inaccessible. Living outside of the city makes the commute a hell. Bad weather will ruin your already miserable commute.

Love coming to work every day

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really do love coming to work every day. Great people, good benefits, and the most beautiful building in Chelsea! Perks include: endless amount of free snacks, coffee, soda, juices, etc., bring your dog to work day, free bikes, a locker room with showers, parties and happy hours.

Yes, it's a little far from the subway, but it's such a fun area!

The company has a great reputation and offers career growth - most people stay here for a while.

Cons

Hard to think of any. Since the building is shared by several IAC companies, I wish there was more communication between all the different business units.

The opportunities at IAC are amazing.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at IAC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Exposure to many brands and business models. Constant opportunity to learn and advance. You're never bored. Highly intelligent and experienced execs.

Cons

There's some degree of hubris because people are in close proximity to the star power of Barry Diller, but it's manageable and nothing more than at any other public company.

Keep up the great work.

Love working here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IAC full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Beautiful offices with great perks
    -Feels like a startup, with all the benefits of a big company - the best of both worlds really..
    -Good work-life balance.
    -The IAC building hosts several IAC businesses (Vimeo, CollegeHumor, The Daily Beast etc.), which means that you get to run into and work with some amazing people.

Cons

-Location - only 3 subway lines, and even those are a 15-min walk
    -Does feel a little too corporate at times, even if you work for one of the smaller businesses (everyone answers to IAC Corporate at the end of the day)
    -Considering how much money Mr. Diller spends on look and feel, he could invest more into health benefits to keep his employees happy. The plans they offer are all expensive and not that great.

By focusing on the big picture, you often miss the details. Talk more to middle management to learn what the real needs of individual employees and departments are.

Worked for IAC? Contribute to the Community!