IATA
www.iata.org Montreal, Canada

IATA Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014
IATA – Switzerland – “Antiproductive open space offices”

IATA Director General & CEO Tony Tyler

Tony Tyler

Pros:
  • "Better than average pay, good benefits such as health insurance, holidays"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Reasonably good salary, but nothing special"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management incompetent and takes credit for all the achievements"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Management by fear and blame culture"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good benefits, global opportunities, terrible corporate culture

Accountant (Current Employee)
Madrid (Spain)

I have been working at IATA full-time for more than a year

Pros- Job opportunities worldwide
- Vacation benefits
- Competitive salaries

Cons- Terrible upper management
- No long term incentive
- Employees are treated as machines and experience or employees are not valued
- No corporate culture and lack of team building events
- Very bureaucratic

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees

A job to go to because I need one, but no real motivation as it is a dead end job.

I have been working at IATA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros-International exposure
-Statutory holidays as well as 20 days off (older employees who didn't opt in for the new working hours)

Cons-No raises for many years
-No promotions unless you are friends with PPD
-Unequal pay for Canadian employees vs ex-pats

A truly horrible experience

Director (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at IATA full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salaries with tax free advantages for expats, good location in downtown Montreal, very nice working colleagues at the 'ground level'.

ConsIn the pre-Tyler years senior management adopted a bullying style and set impossible targets. The Human Capital organisation had far too much power and wielded it with no compassion. IATA employs many people with a good understanding of the industry, but management has little interest in motivating people to contribute to industry improvement. IATA is really just a money making machine with too many egos in the senior management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlush out ALL of the old school of management. Radical surgery is the only way. Also, the old brand and image needs a complete revamp.

Great potential but poor senior management

I have been working at IATA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat intrenational environment, culturally diverse, lots of travel, good salary and great benefits. It is a good environment to spend 3 to 5 years and move on.

ConsLack of opportunities for professional development since senior management doesn't want to invest in employees and courses. Senior management incompetent and takes credit for all the achievements. No salary increases. Working atmosphere is pretty bad and moral low. New DG didn't do lots of changes (made lots of promises though).

Nothing much has changed...

Assistant Director (Former Employee)

I worked at IATA full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits, reasonably good salary, health insurance. Good opportunities if you are lucky enough to have a caring superior (which is rare!).

ConsAfter Tyler took over, a lot was expected. However, first of all, he took a lot of time (much more than necessary) to get things moving. The "evil" was forced out almost after a year and half. HC continued to be dominated by the old school of thought. By the time things moved, the employees who were already demoralised and shattered by regime of fear had long given up hope. Tyler went to the other extreme then with his "Blue Sky". This ensured that a lot of undeserving employees from around the world were not only protected but were also offered opportunities to move around and progress. Something between the previous terror and the present "anything goes" was expected. In all this, the top management which colluded with the previous regime was largely untouched. No wonder the morale continues to be very low.

Don't look for any job satisfaction if you still wish to join.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about the self serving top management which has survived. Tyler should appoint a COO to take care of the operations. He is a fantastic face for IATA in the external world but has no handle on day to day management.

HC policies need to change drastically. The ones under the previous regime were draconian. A lot of excellent airline expertise was lost when employees were randomly fired under the previous regime to make the numbers look good. IATA's current policy of not rehiring the ones who were previously fired is detrimental to them. (Of course, the moot question is how many those who were fired earlier would want to come back to be reminded of their earlier
nightmares.)

Fantastic Experience Pre-Bisignani - wait until Tyler gets a new handle on things. IATA will live again!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IATA for more than 10 years

ProsThe aviation industry is simply wonderful. The IATA people are wonderful. Travel, culture, humour, long working hours but doing great things. I absolutely loved my years at IATA in the Pierre Jeanniot era.

ConsA new CEO arrived in 2002 and IATA quickly sank to a culture of fear. It was a terrible shame. Even the senior management became scared and unreliable. Dispicable behaviour by HR and a complete lack of respect for employees. I left in 2007 - but - under the management of the new CEO, Tony Tyler, I would certainly reconsider IATA. I have heard in the last year that IATA is back on top form and that Tyler is great leader, bright and compassionate. If you are considering IATA now and reading these reviews, give them a chance and do not be put off by all the fear stories you read from the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange. For those of you who survived the Bisignani years - you have a duty to change IATA for the better now and bring it back to life.

Great people, bad management

Manager (Former Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at IATA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to meet people from all around the world, with great expertise and a real passion for aviation. Projects are interesting and the aviation industry is truely fascinating. You get to travel frequently depending on your role. Good benefits.

ConsYou never know if today is your last day. Employees are scared of human resources. High turnover. Management by fear. Very bureaucratic, you can drown in processes and wait very long for approvals. Higher management takes credit for your hard work, and career opportunities are based on political moves rather than the work that has been achieved.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more, stop scaring employees with monthly purges. Clean up the C and D bands.

Learn and Move Up As You Go!

Analyst (Current Employee)
Geneva (Switzerland)

I have been working at IATA full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits, insurance for health care + dental care.
If spouse/partner (>1 year) is unemployed, IATA contributes to their insurance as well.

ConsYour direct manager - if it's a good one, even a challenging job is fun and fulfilling.
If it's not, it's a dread.

Management Issues created a hollow company with signficantly reduced expertise

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IATA full-time for less than a year

ProsReasonably good salary, but nothing special

ConsMany of the good managers have left the company. The quality (and knowledge) of some of the senior managers is very poor particularly in the MACs division. Very low staff morale driven by a culture of fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementUproot the corporate culture. Stop talking about decency / values etc and actually live that way.

Enjoyable work, poor senior management

Manager (Former Employee)
Geneva (Switzerland)

I worked at IATA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome great people to work with who are very knowledgeable and want to make a difference
Travel opportunities
Good pay but don't expect to get a pay rise

ConsIncompetent senior management who are promoted to their positions because of who they know not what they can do.
Management by fear and blame culture
Senior management ride on the hard work of employees and take credit for everything that works well and the successes

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the New DG in place many hoped it would be the opportunity to clear out some of the senior management who bring nothing to the business and see it as a gravy train. Talk about the importance of Culture and ethics but pay scant regard to either......

Worked for IATA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IATA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IATA CEO Tony Tyler. All 57 reviews posted anonymously by IATA employees.