IB Times Reviews

Terrible Leadership, Earnest Employees

Former Employee - Sales Development
    Former Employee - Sales Development

I worked at IB Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, smart people surround you. I did sales support. You're involved in pitching to clients. Good ideas and great attention from top brands.

Cons

There is a massive chasm between the good ideas and implementation. As someone educated at a top university, I was personally hired to add to the sales support division. None of my experience or exposure was ever called upon despite my access to highly influential brands. Horrendous abuse of employees' time, especially younger ones. The worst part? Compensation is exceptionally low and management does not spend time building a close cohesive team. They took us all one by one and let us go from the job without any prior warning and when the fault was with the spending of the upper management itself.

Advice to Management

Spend less on the company, more on your employees. Invest in people. Reward them. DO NOT BE SKETCHY. TRY BEING HONEST INSTEAD. You have a good brand that is fast becoming anathema to most people.

2. Chaotic place to work, unclear newsroom mission

I worked at IB Times

Pros

Good place for young journalists to start out; some editors are really great personally and professionally; you're able to write about nearly anything that interests you and makes a good story

Cons

Nobody is sure who the audience is or what niche IBTimes is trynig to capture that WSJ and others aren't already; the staff never felt like a team; you'll be asked to write click-bait

Advice to Management

Communicate IBT's concrete goals better and provide more training and benefits to reporters

Last resort

I worked at IB Times

Pros

Maybe okay if you're a journalist just starting out.

Cons

Very, very low pay, unfair bonus-based structure, a company that has no identity, weekend shifts, night shifts, idiot managers and editors, ties to a cult, poor treatment of workers.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees.

Soulcrushing Content Farm.

I worked at IB Times full-time

Pros

Not very demanding work. Employees are generally good people and talented writers.

Cons

Awful, visionless leadership. Rewards low-effort clickbait. Every employee I knew there was looking to get out. Every six months or so, they let 10-20 people go.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees even the smallest amount. Promote interesting writing over what gets the most clicks. Pay people more than once a month.

Only worthwhile if you're desperate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at IB Times full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at a subsidiary of IB Times (Tech Times), where I worked alongside other journalism and comms grads in a similar boat - basically, struggling to find anything else in the current job market. Pros were pretty much having each other to bounce ideas off, and some senior staff members were quite knowledgeable and helpful. Having said that, they were also sympathetic to us looking for work elsewhere.

Cons

- No real structure
    - Emphasis on traffic rather than quality (and techniques for securing traffic were pretty dubious; it was a total gamble)
    - Encouraged to pursue gimmicky second-hand clickbait rather than actual news or interviews
    - Felt like we were churning out second-rate content

Advice to Management

Quality, not quantity. Remember that. And I can't help but think this place is a kind of a scam.

Working at IB Times makes me want to leave journalism

Current Employee - Reporter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I have been working at IB Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros about this place deplete by the day. About the only pro I have left is I have a butt load of vacation days, and I've been here so long that i have no qualms about taking them whenever.

Cons

Only editors get promoted on a regular basis, which is funny because 95 percent of them are completely incompetent. They try to hide this by demeaning writers every chance they get. But they add errors to articles and headlines daily. Then you have to deal with rude comments and emails from readers and complete silence from the editor when you bring it up.

I’ve completely lost hope in this place.

Advice to Management

You know your writers are not happy. DO BETTER!

Digital sweatshop.

I worked at IB Times

Pros

You get to write a lot.

Cons

Feels like a digital sweatshop.

Advice to Management

Pay employees twice a month to improve morale.

Where real journalists have to work in this terrible economy

I worked at IB Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not that hard to get hired here. My interview was maybe five minutes? If you're a journalist just out of school and having a hard time find a position anywhere, but especially in New York, IBTimes isn't a bad choice. Put your head down for a while, work hard, learn a lot (and luckily there are a lot of real journalists on the news floor), then hop out to a much better place. Don't stay too long!

Cons

Quite literally an insufferable place - anyone who has the choice to go elsewhere does. Once in a while they just fire people when they are out of cash.

Leaders have own business/social agendas and do not care about employees.

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at IB Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros, deserves negative stars.

Cons

Ridiculous compensation schedule.
    There is no career development path.
    No training.
    They are only interested what you offer them and not the other way around. Controversial connection to religious org.
    Hire people with credentials only as a front for their PR.

Advice to Management

Nothing can be done.
    If you are a hired C-suite, beware, since you are being used to your own detriment before they find someone better to replace you.

oppressive

I worked at IB Times full-time (More than a year)

Pros

sometimes the disorganization can work in your favor. some of the mid-level editors / managers are great to work with and are doing what they can. flexible work at home policy.

Cons

overall an unhappy environment. virtually no one is proud to work there and is actively looking for other positions. everyone is overworked, and any good reporting/stories are undercut by awful site design / reputation as quasi content farm. being paid once a month, on the 5th of the month (never really clear on why that was) adds unnecessary stress to workers.

Advice to Management

pay people a wage that actually reflects cost of living; reconsider the dirty tricks / SEO / autoplay ads model

RSS Feed </> Embed