IBM

12,359 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,939 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great benefits, opportunities to advance for some, no loyalty for long time employees. take charge of your career.

Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist/Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Specialist/Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big company with lots of opportunity to move into new positions if you are persistent about moving up and don't get complacent in your job. Good work-life balance, work at home, great benefits, training available IF you have a manager willing to speak up and get approval for you.

Cons

NO loyalty to long time employees when it comes to resource actions. I was loyal to company and remained in same position because they didn't have anyone else to support application and thought I was helping out. All it really did was hurt me in the end. When I was not allowed to move to another position or get training to complete certification I should have started looking for a job outside the company. Laid off after 10+ years. They were offshoring many jobs to BRIC countries.. Initially very upset with company but would go back to them with different mindset and this time use them for my own personal development and advancement.

Stop offshoring and if you move jobs to central US to take advantage of cheap labor then consider finding jobs for those who don't want to relocate. You should recognize that loyal employees who have stayed with you for over 10 years have value which cannot easily be replaced. When you bring on new PMs from India they may be cheaper in initial salary but end up costing you a lot more by wasting countless hours of much higher band stakeholders who have to sit on the call trying to give status updates to someone who cannot understand what is going on.

Consulting Division is a daily struggle against pure chaos and downright insanity…

Current Employee - Anonymous in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are many great people at IBM. The biggest perk is work from home. If it weren't for that I think people would have bolted for the door long ago. Little or no weekend work to start. They will let you work a different schedule as needed. Management is not looking over your shoulder much that I noticed. These are all good things but sadly they are not enough.

Cons

The biggest problem in the consulting division is it is totally disorganized and process bound but the problem is that the processes they are bound to have almost completely been forgotten. So you may sit and twiddle your thumbs for 6 months or more waiting for the simplest to get things setup like laptop, and credentials. Things that every other company has either day one or at least in the first two weeks of your employment. They struggle with everything like it was a battle of epic proportions. Their processes are so antiquated that it is beyond belief that they are still doing it that way in the 21st century. I was really excited to be working here but after time my excitement gave way to disappointment and remorse for taking the job. Literally things that happen in real time everywhere else fail to do so here and processes change without warning. For example getting the network team to issue new IP addresses which at worst case scenario takes a week with normal paperwork in a normal company can take up 6 months or more here. So definitely make sure you have your precognitive abilities honed to a razors edge. ;-) Management seems very much aware of these problems but seems unwilling or unable to do anything about it. Everyone in management seemed afraid to take on the status quo and preferred to keep the checks coming instead. Our customers seemed constantly angry and unhappy. I have yet to see any attempt at customer service that was not a light hearted joke. They have done things this way for a good long time and no matter who you are your input for change will likely be ignored. So if you have an opportunity elsewhere that would be your best option. I was beguiled by them at first but the dream became shortly a nightmare of nearly Biblical proportions in my opinion.

Fire the people that believe in doing things the "same way we alway have" is a good one. Get some people who know how to break an egg to make an omelet. Get rid of some of the corporate drones and replace them with people who question insanity at least some of the time.

Good for about a decade.

Former Employee - Software License Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Software License Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice environment for supporting outsourced accounts and often able to work at customer sites or remotely. IBM offers competitive salaries and educational opportunities for some positions.

Cons

IBM is one of the leaders in off-shoring jobs and if you're in a role that's offshored, you have about a 90% chance of being cut in a resource action. They target folks who have been around 10 to 15 years and maxed out on salaries. They start by lowering your performance rating without supporting evidence and once that happens, you're history. They supposedly give you an opportunity to find another position in the company but once your names on the cut list, that won't happen. The folks who stay are chosen based on personality vs performance within the group.

They should at least be honest with employees for the resource actions vs using false information to lower their ratings.

A company that manages its balance sheet well, but not its employees

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They allow work from home. Helps balance work -life during normal work days!

Cons

Work is way too much and without any overtime pay!! When the time's bad, they make you sit at home without pay for months on furloughs!! They unlike many other companies cannot have anyone sit without work for even a moment! They do not even inform ahead of time of impending furloughs, for you to find a better opportunity..its always last minute that way!

Its not always about working towards managing 'stock price' but there is a lot more involved in running a company!

IBM for the most part is a good company to work for. Expect long hours and little job security.

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at IBM

Pros

Most of the people are really nice and hardworking. The company has a good reputation. Excellent with EEO. Often very flexible with work hours. Compensation is competitive and benefits are good.

Cons

As a general rule, you will be expected to work at least 50 hours a week and do give back in addition to your normal work hours. This is to meet productivity goals and must be done even in slow times. (Giveback is good, it you had the time to do it) The job is not secure. Periodically IBM does massive layoffs. It doesn't matter if you are on the bench or have a revenue producing assignment, if you are in the wrong group at the wrong time, you will be laid off.

Instead of doing mass layoffs, look for other ways to save money. It used to be that people were IBM's most valuable asset.
    Review productivity goals and the original purpose for them. Overtime is necessary from time to time to meet deadlines. It doesn't make sense to be putting in hours to meet productivity goals when hours are just being put in for the sake of putting in hours. Also, when employees are constantly putting in massive amounts of overtime, they are more prone to mistakes and "real" productivity goes down. Current productivity goals are determined by the number of hours put in and I can't believe that was the original purpose of the productivity goals.