IBM

Updated Apr 7, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

210 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to learn and grow your skills.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou will work with a lot of smart, talented and hard working employees. A lot of opportunities to learn and grow your skills, especially for new college graduates.

ConsCompensation is not competitive compared to other companies.

Unique Situation - Acquired from PriceWaterhouse Coopers Consulting

Senior Managing Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIBM takes care of it's employees when they are sick or have a temporary disability. One on one, most IBMers are nice, considerate and helpful people.

ConsThe company is so big, it is easy to feel lost amongst the masses.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a business decision is made to eliminate a group or practice, take a more active role to assist displaced workers by having someone dedicated within IBM to facilitate locating a new position within the company, rather than being laid off. A lot of great talent is allowed to walk out the door.

Great pay, but not enough for the amount I work

Consultant (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsThey pay their recent graduates very well, they provide 3 weeks PTO for all employees on day 1

ConsInsane working hours, poor performance rating system

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing your reportees

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a good ride

Storage Support (Former Employee)
Smyrna, GA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe technology is great and they have many new products

ConsThe company no longer looks out for it's people unless they are above brand manager positions. They do not care about the thinkers and performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne day the numbers game will be played on you.

Best Start at Big Blue

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
Extremely wide choice of opportunities
High level of investment in learning and skills improvement

ConsSome project teams could be too large such that Leadership may be out of touch with realities at working team level ... and be only concerned with customer relationship and contract extensions

For 25 years overall a great company to work for, now trending down.

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people and opportunities. Cutting edge technology. I've made many life-long friends around the world and worked on some amazing projects.

ConsIncreasingly all decisions made by accountants, and not by the visionaries. Ridiculous amounts of red-tape for the most simple decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop driving the company by cost-cutting. It's a death-spiral. You talk about trust and responsibility, but don't walk the talk.

Poor return on pension, really, after all my years of service 1%?

Storage Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCan't think of any, used to be a good resume builder, not anymore.

ConsLost their vision. Too much nepotism. Poor pay, too many chiefs, not enough "producing" Indians. A 1% return paid on my pension after all my years of service? Talk about a slap in the face. It was bad enough when you took it away, but with all your profits to only pay 1%? Worthless.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep cutting to the bone and treating your employees like crap. I'm sure you'll land safely with your golden parachute, but you'll be known as Captain's of the Titanic.

No longer good. Things are going downhill. Useless management.

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork flexibility. Decent training. Nothing else.

ConsPay no longer competitive. Bonus, GDP are now zero.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth. Stop being obsessed with useless metrics like the 2015 roadmap.

Decent; Very good for travelling consultants

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time for less than a year

ProsTakes care of consultants very well. Company has lots of benefits for IBM US employees, not many for IBM India employees. Insurance, car rental, etc are some of the benefits that you would not find in other companies.

ConsSome of the processes are very illogical and take a long time; Some of the managers are pain to handle. Sometimes, it reminds me of an Indian government enterprise. Very difficult to switch from one line of work to another.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe flexible and give chance to employees to pursue something they really want to do.

Very well organized company. We were purchased by IBM and integrated slowly and efficiently.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you like high structure and rules, this is the company for you. Procedures are well written. Travel sites and reimbursement is easy and done quickly. If you enjoy a specialized area such as consulting or sales, lots of opportunities. Using Sametime instead of email is very nice.

ConsIf you need more flexibility and growth - IBM usually takes longer to do anything. Resources like software and hardware can take awhile to obtain. Management normally is not proficient in technical skills but in manager skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more flexible and able to change with the times.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 210 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.