IBM

IBM Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated Jun 26, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

225 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Transformations

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsHighly successful technology company.
    Excellent upper level management guiding the company through it's many transformations.

ConsExcessive administrative work while maintaining over 50 billable hours each week.
    Only measure for success is billable hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementClosely monitor lower level management ethics.

It's great, I love working for IBM.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI am able to work remotely from home

ConsA lot of guidelines & restrictions that sometimes make easy/quick tasks take a little longer.

Being Acquitted By IBM

Software Sales Representative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThere is nothing good about being in a company that is acquired by IBM.

ConsBeing in a software company that was acquired by IBM was the worst job experience of my career. The IBM Management Team was absolutely clueless as to what our company did and as to why we were successful. Sales dropped by 50% in the first year after the acquisition.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the culture of the company that you are acquiring. It's a major part of the success of the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to learn and grow your skills.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsYou will work with a lot of smart, talented and hard working employees. A lot of opportunities to learn and grow your skills, especially for new college graduates.

ConsCompensation is not competitive compared to other companies.

Unique Situation - Acquired from PriceWaterhouse Coopers Consulting

Senior Managing Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIBM takes care of it's employees when they are sick or have a temporary disability. One on one, most IBMers are nice, considerate and helpful people.

ConsThe company is so big, it is easy to feel lost amongst the masses.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a business decision is made to eliminate a group or practice, take a more active role to assist displaced workers by having someone dedicated within IBM to facilitate locating a new position within the company, rather than being laid off. A lot of great talent is allowed to walk out the door.

Great pay, but not enough for the amount I work

Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThey pay their recent graduates very well, they provide 3 weeks PTO for all employees on day 1

ConsInsane working hours, poor performance rating system

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing your reportees

It was a good ride

Storage Support (Former Employee) Smyrna, GA

ProsThe technology is great and they have many new products

ConsThe company no longer looks out for it's people unless they are above brand manager positions. They do not care about the thinkers and performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne day the numbers game will be played on you.

Best Start at Big Blue

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
    Extremely wide choice of opportunities
    High level of investment in learning and skills improvement

ConsSome project teams could be too large such that Leadership may be out of touch with realities at working team level ... and be only concerned with customer relationship and contract extensions

For 25 years overall a great company to work for, now trending down.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people and opportunities. Cutting edge technology. I've made many life-long friends around the world and worked on some amazing projects.

ConsIncreasingly all decisions made by accountants, and not by the visionaries. Ridiculous amounts of red-tape for the most simple decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop driving the company by cost-cutting. It's a death-spiral. You talk about trust and responsibility, but don't walk the talk.

Poor return on pension, really, after all my years of service 1%?

Storage Sales (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCan't think of any, used to be a good resume builder, not anymore.

ConsLost their vision. Too much nepotism. Poor pay, too many chiefs, not enough "producing" Indians. A 1% return paid on my pension after all my years of service? Talk about a slap in the face. It was bad enough when you took it away, but with all your profits to only pay 1%? Worthless.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep cutting to the bone and treating your employees like crap. I'm sure you'll land safely with your golden parachute, but you'll be known as Captain's of the Titanic.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!