IBM

IBM Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated Jun 26, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

225 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Drop in an ocean

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsHas a Global reach
    Very powerful Brand name
    Access to broad and deep expertise
    Cultural diversity with truly global employees

ConsNo sense of community
    Feel that you are alone and on your own
    Most practice principle of each for himself or herself
    Disappointing and deceptive compensation practices - never execute on good bonus or annual comp

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful and practice what you preach
    Stop the bureaucracy
    Fixated on just numbers and quarterly results - do not care about delivery

Great place to start a career

Client Technical Specialist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsTons of experience.
    Wealth of knowledge from sr. team
    great work life balance

ConsNo career movement
    Large faction of heavily experienced people who are not moving up or down, just waiting for retirement
    Very few raises
    Bonus plan was a joke

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your talent pool. There are a lot of people with a lot of experience, and a lot of people with very little experience, with very little in between. That is a dangerous mixture as the veterans start retiring. Look to move younger employees into progressive roles before it is too late.

Loved this company, but am deemed irrelevant due to my salary band and years of service

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsSalary that is comparable to entry-level contract work. Work from home and client site, instead of an actual building. "Flexible" work schedules. Practically doubled in size during the worst recession in most of our lifetimes...though growth was everywhere except the US.

ConsIBM's idea of "flexible"work schedule means 130% utilization (or else), evening and weekend work, having to work an extra week for every week of vacation you take (or else), frequent stealth layoffs when IBM is looking to purchase another company in distress, a dramatic shift from quality to quantity (utilization is all that matters to them, now), abandoned core beliefs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had hoped to stay at IBM for at least 20 years, but fear that 18 is probably the limit. It's really too bad, because IBM has done many great things in its history. I hope someone wakes up before it is too late and you lose all of your intellectual capital.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

adfdfasdfttttthtisadfasdf

Advisory Software Engineer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThere are still lots of smart people at IBM. If you like working long hours for little or no reward, this is the place for you.

ConsThis is the worst managed company I have ever worked for. None of the smart people I mentioned in "Pros" is in upper management. Although I see quite a few favorable reviews of IBM on glassdoor, in my experience the only people who think this is a good place to work are those who have never worked anywhere else.

Advice to Senior Management1. Focus on creating real value for customers rather than just acquiring new revenue streams.
    2. Drop the rah-rah stuff; we are not fooled. True greatness is inversely proportional to the amount of it that comes out of your mouth.
    3. Grow up.

Enlightening. You learn something new everyday!

Recruiting Program Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsInnovative organization. They are extremely driven and know how to motivate people to perform.

ConsCan be bureaucratic sometimes as are many large organizations

Bipolar Corporation

Partner (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat health care benefits
    Many committed employees
    Opportunity to work in many facets of IT industry
    Pension check for those who were fortunate enough to be in the plan

ConsRequirement to work 60+ hours weekly
    Target employees for resource action ( firing) once they turn 50 reardless of performance, and contribution to the business..
    Too many layers of executive management and the executive perks are bordering on criminal
    Latest 401K modification (paid only once a year so if they RA you 1 day prior to the annual payment day you get no IBM matching)
    HR focused
    In the future I expect IBM will default on the pension plan

Advice to Senior ManagementTHINK
    Respect for the individual
    Toss the 2015 plan and give new CEO an opportunity to run the ship
    Invest in the core company and stop buying revenue streams (from corporations you aquire)
    Stop former CEO's from using corporate jets for personal travel - they have enough stock to pay for their own personal travel

No such thing as work life balance, not a good long term career option.

Managing Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood place to start a career to gain experience with big clients and projects. Great network of smart, experienced people.

ConsThe work life balance is awful. Late nights and weekends are the norm. Sprinkle in some all-nighters throughout the year for good measure. The Global Services culture revolves only around meeting a ridiculous utilization target rather than delivering innovative work. The employee utilization target ignores vacation days and company holidays (YES, your earned time off counts against you), so everyone is required to carry additional projects throughout the year to meet their target. Any admin employees are forced to perform (completing the hours of regular mandatory training, attending all hands meetings, navigating the bureaucracy, etc.) won't count toward their utilization target, so employees must add more work time to their 60+ hour work week. Many won't take all their earned vacation because they fear not meeting those targets. There isn't enough bench or bandwidth to address business development, so late nights/weekends are spent crafting responses. Managers aren't given raises when they are promoted or even given a break in their utilization targets. Promotions to management positions are presented simply as "opportunity", which meant a 30% increase in work and no additional compensation for my promotion. The real "opportunity" is to gain as much experience as possible and move on to a company that respects their employees. Even if employees meet or exceed their utilization target, raises and bonuses are still minimal at best. I was always a top or higher performer ("1" or "2+" ratings) and typically received only a 1% or 2% annual raise while being told to be "thankful you have a job". Many coworkers would significantly exceed utilization targets and still not receive an annual raise. Employees are ranked as "low performers" so IBM can justify layoffs. The US staff count continues to be reduced while a large amount of work has moved to (cheaper) inexperienced global resources with inferior skills. There isn't any career path for most employees anymore. The management style is often one of instilling fear of a low performance rating and a layoff. The purse strings were so tight that new employees were instructed to download trial software to perform their jobs because we couldn't get licenses for them. Meanwhile, the approval to purchase a software license was a 10-step process of justifying the purchase to people who either would ignore the request or immediately decline. It takes months to get anything done because of the bureaucracy. Toward the end of Q4, it is common to receive an email encouraging employees to sacrifice vacation or work as many hours as possible. Sometimes, the incentive for those sacrifices would be to enter the employees into a contest to win a DVD player or MP3 player (not making this up). Typically, no incentive was offered at all. Last year, we received an email from the organization lead strongly encouraging everyone to work an additional weekend as "an opportunity to catch up on your projects", which was a thinly veiled way of saying "we need to bill more hours so we can exceed our quarterly projections". IBM is run by people who care only about driving up the stock price at the expense of innovation, delivering high quality work, or any consideration of their employees work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop squeezing the life out of the employees.

Programmer Analyst

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsPaycheck on time, Very good Health Insurance

ConsToo low salary, Huge politics in each project, Not a people oriented company

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher Management should not consider Developers as a piece of junk.

Great Experience

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsEveryone has a "team" mentality here; Benefits are really good; Career growth and Training/education are available.

ConsNothing really to report here - maybe the sales plan / compensation needs improvement for such a competitive market.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to filter any unnecessary chatter from the Senior leadership team..

Excellent Training Ground, Limited future prospects for Millenials

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsExcellent training resources
    Hard working culture
    Strong commitment to ethical and professional behavior

ConsTime consuming and complicated reporting processes.
    Low pay/raises compared to other IT companies.
    Death by a thousand metrics

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more emphasis on the intangible value of producing quality work vs meeting irrelevant metrics.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!