IBM

12,181 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,863 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

317 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you want to learn, travel the world and get paid to do it, start your career at IBM.

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Over the past 3 years I've had 3 different jobs at IBM. Each with it's own unique challenges and opportunities. The best part about the experience- the people. IBM attracts some of the smartest people on earth and it's a great privileged to work with and learn from them. Second best part is the work life balance. I work from home, as such I have a lot of flexibility to get out for a walk at lunch time or run an errand in the afternoon without it impacting my day negatively.

Cons

Management is hit and miss. We have some amazing managers who execute flawlessly, but at the expense of their employees. Employees get frustrated and either put up with managers who degrade, insult, and overall infuriate them or they leave. A 360 review process that enables employees to review managers would solve this. Some people just weren't meant to manage people- and that's okay, let's just move them into roles where they can continue impacting the business positively and give there people to better managers.

It's time to "Restlessly Reinvent" of our compensation structure.Why is it that I do the same job as my colleagues and return equal or better outcomes and yet am compensated so much lower (20-30% as per Glassdoor) just because I've been here 2 years instead of 10+. Stop compensating people for the "length of time" they've been at the company. I take on projects that go above and beyond and deliver and yet still am not being fairly compensated. Compensation should be normalized for performance / outcomes, not for time you survive the company. Just my .02. If you're a manager it should be tied to both a review by your manager and by your employees. As another reviewer said, let's trim some of the dead wood and elevate those who both perform and manage their people well.

cognos royalty analyst

Current Employee - Cognos Royalty Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cognos Royalty Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office culture is the best. Most time you work from home. No one bothers you and the only thing that is asked of you is to do your job.

Cons

Heavy workload. Sometimes the managers ask unrealistic things of you in the aspects of meeting deadlines that are given at the last minute.

Allow more lead time on projects so they will not have to be pushed back projects.

IBM Design is a frustrating opportunity

Current Employee - Product Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ground floor of a big movement in design, inspiring company legacy, vacation and benefits, funding.

Cons

Management cares more about perception than substance; they want to promote themselves as good designers more than to be good designers. IBM is a tough company to get things done in. It is so big that projects are disorganized and extremely political. It is hard to do good design here.

Invest in your designers, stop caring about your perception so much, focus on quality over quantity, and respect your employees.

No longer a good company for hardware development

Former Employee - Advisory Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Advisory Hardware Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work with top people and technology. Lots of flexibility in work schedule. Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

No future in hardware development as IBM moves towards strictly software; lucky if you don't get laid off.
    So obviously not much chance to advance your career. Bad morale. They are constantly chiseling away at
    your benefits to save money and boost EPS to make targets.

Good luck! It's difficult managing a shrinking team.

IBM Extreme Blue is Top Notch

Current Employee - Extreme Blue Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Extreme Blue Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Present to the CEO
    - Submit Patents
    - High Pay
    - Housing was covered 100%
    - Full-time benefits (e.g. Airfare discounts and car rental discounts)
    - Austin, TX is nice

Cons

- Texas is hot I guess
    - People bash on building 45, and they're right, it is a bit ugly
    - The play feels empty
    - Workers are honest about IBM almost even to a fault (I kind of like this though)

- Work on getting more people to come on campus to work--too many people working from home, makes the place feel empty. Although ~7,000 people work at IBM Austin, it only ever feels like 2,000 of them are on campus.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, ethics, employee benefits, worklife balance and career growth

Cons

Pay, organization structure, and lack of fostering new ideas and innovation

Allow employees to take on risk, foster more entrepreneurial work environment

Best place to learn and have fun

Current Employee - IBM Other Test Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IBM Other Test Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

1. Work From Home without any questions asked from Management
    2. Friendly team members

Cons

1. Average age of employers is a bit on 40+
    2. F1 Visa students have lesser chances of sponsorship

None

Fantastic Company

Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

IBM was a fantastic company to work for and provided plenty of opportunity for skills development, learning, and career growth. It also seemed to me that employees got out of IBM exactly what they put into it. Some just coasted along and got "average" performance reviews for average performance. But for those who really want to feel like they are making a difference and want to expand their career, IBM will support them full stop. NOTE: This review is based on my work with Software Group within IBM, which tends to be much more progressive and faster paced than other groups.

Cons

The growth of my career and opportunities for development were directly proportionate to how progressive and open minded my direct manager was.

Processes and policies are the cornerstone to any solid company. Continue to ensure they don't get in the way of employees being able to create and innovate.

Software Engineer,

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pleasant work environment, Schedule flexibility..It's nice to work with engineers from all around the world. Possibility to work either from office or from home. Learning opportunities allowing employees for education and self development.
    Innovation in a lot of fields.

Cons

Job stability is under big stress. The company spends a lot of efforts and focus on the financial growth of the company leaving the employees' interest behind.

Good Company

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Scope for growth & Diversity

Cons

No Job Security and at risk all the time