IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

291 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company

Staff Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsIBM is a great company. Working with smart people. The flexibility to work from home is a big advantage over other companies. IBM knows how to succeed in the tech market.

ConsWorking in the Hardware group has been difficult. Low morale. Unimpressive bonuses and raises. They have let go of experienced hard working engineers for the sake of saving money.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation for current employees.

IBM is huge, which has pros and cons. It's difficult to guide one's career without a mentor.

Advisory Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsAccess to strong, motivated technical people
    Flexible schedules / work environments (I work from a coffee shop a couple of afternoons a week)
    Great backing from management if you're working on a "focus area" project

ConsEvening meetings with worldwide partners / colleagues
    "Meh" Salary improvements
    Constant Layoffs with relatively few new hires
    Poor morale
    Expensive cafeteria with sub-par food and service

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid the "dead sea" effect, and recruit talent to allow backfills for outgoing talent.

good company going bad

Managing Consultant (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prosthe name, access to a lot of infrastructure

Consgrowth is slow and not well defined. salaries stagnating forcing the good talent to leave company

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to get more in touch

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I think IBM has lost it way

STSM (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsStrong technical talent. You can find a person in IBM that is an expert on anything. This makes it a wonderful place to learn and grow.

ConsVery large and bureaucratic. Not very nimble. Lots of people in middle management just looking for a way not to be blamed if things go wrong. The appraisals are more based on quotas and financials than on performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current narrow view on financials is slowly killing the value of the company. In a down economy one should be reinvesting in R&D. I think the focus on services and software is short sighted.

Was great, now good

Advisory Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsIBM was an excellent company to work for when there was balance and management was local in Austin. Benefits use to be very good but deteriorated to sub-par in the 2000's, only affordable if you are single. If your young, flexible in your work/life balance and are realistic about not really staying for too many years then the place is a great resume dot and training ground to parlay into a great next step. The job is what you make of it though and there was never any barb-wire keeping you in. Vacation package is industry average but substandard for other Austin tech companies.

ConsTurn-over and attrition is high in the younger ranks. No real loyalty and none should be expected based on low/no raises and worse bonus package. Older guys are just trying to hang on for the next package or until something better comes along. Need to always be prepared to get hit in a layoff. Management is usually disconnected from employees. IBM is going through a bit of a top down hiccup. With a new ceo with a strong business focus, it will get better I believe.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry really fighting for your people if you care. Push for raises and bonus and benefits for them. Quit just accepting the top down pressure to cut everything and then wonder why morale stinks

Glad I am gone.

Senior IT Architect (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThey are a big company.

ConsLittle regard for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on building employees rather than using them.

Company in transition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsYou will be surrounded by really talented people who have high standards and expect the same.
    In the division I worked, people were always willing to take the time to help a coworker work through a problem or to discuss new ideas. Lots of opportunity to take on different roles and career paths if you are proactive in managing your career.

ConsLike any big company, you have to learn how to work the system to get things done. You also need to stay on top of technology trends and position yourself to be part of the forward movement, as with any company..
    Difficult to move between divisions if trying to change jobs/career paths.
    As corporate VPs work to the 2015 EPS goal, cost savings by cutting back on employee compensation has been obvious.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the "earnings per share" goals and focus on providing world class products and services, that will drive EPS!
    Get back to recognizing that your people are your strongest assets.

Software Developer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsCareer Advancement if you are willing to speak up. Top notch Technology! There is still knowledgeable senior team members willing to help you succeed.

ConsThere is still old fashioned IBM senior individuals that do not want newcomers to succeed. They don't want change to occur and block new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and rotate their new employees

Solid company diminishing US base

Physical Design Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe team members and technical projects available. Although morale has been very low for years the staff and team is great. Continued leadership in technology.

ConsWork-life balance in order to succeed. IBM has changed dramatically over the years and politics play a major role in career. Technical people should drive technical decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce power point engineers and reward folks for technical accomplishements.

Not fulfilling, but if you need to work from home or need the money it's good.

Web Developer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThere are some great people and forward thinkers if you can find them. Opportunities to work from home.

ConsYour quality of work does not matter. Its all a numbers game.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people that do quality work. Cogs in the machine don't grow a company long term.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Austin, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 291 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.