IBM

IBM Reviews in Boulder, CO

Updated Jul 15, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights
96 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Learning on the fly

Threat Analyst (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsYou had good team support and training, the vacation and sick policy is very generous, along with some work hour flexibility at times, though getting true product and tools education was mostly a do it yourself project. But if you worked at it and kept it in front of the manager, you would get it eventually.

One thing I did love was the working environment - very little sniping or backstabbing. Rather amazing for a large corporate environment.

ConsHard to promote up, there often seemed to be a real churn in leaders 1 and 2 levels above you. Discovered after I left that were was a HUGE variance in pay for people in the same tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes there are too many tools at hand - things went in many directions at once, and fragmented knowledge/how-to was often the root of not handling things before the customer had issues with us.

The best of times, the worst of times.

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsYou're working for an industry leader in their field. There is something to be said about that. I love telling people I used to work for companies they've heard of. It also gives you some credibility in the industry as well.

ConsSo many layers of management that decisions are made by people who seriously don't understand anything they are managing. They also do not value the individual, everything is team or group based. While teams are important, everyone knows there is usually a "QB" or "Captain", and IBM does not really acknowledge this at an institutional level.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that while process and procedures are important, individual super heroes often save the day. If IT was so easy that you could "assembly-line" it, no one would need your services.

Managers totally screw you up

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

Prosgreat technology, lots of exposure to new things.

ConsNo training , more push to self training, self serving managers. lots of reliance on cheap workforce in India and china leading to frequent layoffs.

Advice to Senior Managementhave some decency to treat people respectfully and not think of them as slaves or minions,

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not What The Company Use to Be

Storage Engineer (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsAdequate pay
    Technology up to date
    Improved Office Environment

ConsLeadership, Compensation, Lack of Training, Constantly Changing Objectives

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid designing teams to be undersized to their workload and laying off already overloaded team members to make quarterly targets

Worst Experience in my Career - last 12 years were horrible

Technical Manager (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsI can't think of a single thing.

ConsOvertime!! No support from team or management. No raises for over 3 years even with great reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some ethics

IBM, Boulder Colorado is a sweat shop call center. Very little technical expertise exists there!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsThe people... every day people struggling to make ends meet on the lousy $10-11/hour

ConsThey have very high expectations with extremely low pay. Very slim chance of advancement EVER and almost 100% contract positions so slim chance of ever getting a raise also.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something to reward people for a jkob well done. DO SOMETHING to promote esteem and pride!

Good company to work for

Sales Operations Specialist (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsGood salary, great benefits, flexible work schedule.

ConsLow morale because they are constantly laying off US employees and offshoring jobs.

High waste, low salaries, very "old school" management systems.

Advanced Teleservices Agent (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsIt's easy to shine among all the dullards, they have tons of free education available, and the work load is usually pretty light (they over-employ).

ConsPromotions are "open season", so even if you've been on your team for several years, there's a very strong chance someone from another team is going to steal your promotion (even with lateral moves). They outsource their interviews to other managers constantly, meaning that "surprise surprise", that manager's subordinates get the promotions. They hire almost everyone as a "long term supplemental" meaning that your contract ends after a few years no matter how well or poorly you performed during that time, and getting converted to a regular is an act akin to resurrecting the dead.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuality is greater than quantity, even in a Service Desk. You need to take accountability for the development of your employees, just letting people skate by is a complete waste. The LTS system is currently broken: You regularly lose talented people because you never get around to advancing them, and you keep horrible people because you know they'll just time out eventually and don't feel like doing the hard thing and cutting them loose.

Great place to start a career. Though you will need to leave to get anything more than the standard 3% raise each year.

Contract Cost Analyst (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsLots of opportunities for movement within the company. I had 5 different positions in 11 years.

ConsConstant cost challenges in the global services organization. Never knowing when 'your time is up'

Good company to work for

Advisory Software Engineer (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsGood opportunity to advance.. good work life balance.

ConsOvertime is required to make up for vacation time taken.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep jobs in the US if possible.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!