IBM

IBM Reviews in Burlington, VT

Updated Jun 12, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall good company to work for

Senior Equipment Technician (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsLots of opportunity to learn. Work life balance is great. The overall work environment is challenging but not stressful. Compensation is ok as of late but not like the early years.

ConsDisconnect between management and workers. Too many meetings and people who don't get anything done all day. 1st line managers do nothing and are moved to areas they have no expertise in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the chain of command and make dept leads the managers.

very top heavy, slow to adapt, scared of change. reviews and mobility not based on performance

Model Engineer (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

Prosdecent benefits, ok pay, big name looks good on resume, very good work/life balance

Cons(micro electronics) no job security, no advancement opportunities, raises below inflation, horrible morale, lack of motivation, old-man stodgy culture

Advice to Senior Managementpay more, clear evidence based routes for advancement, reviews based on performance, incremental promotions

IBM has been good, but the outlook is not positive.

Manager (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsLarge Multinational enterprise with Great name recognition.

ConsNever ending CUTS and REDUCTIONS.....

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, happy employees will improve profits and Stock value

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SOI Compact Modeling Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

Prosbest place for a starter

Conslack of proper execution of principles by the management

Started out strong, but declining fast

Program Manager (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsWork/Life balance and they still have some of the smartest people in the industry. Projects are challenging and it's great to work on problems that have never been solved before.

Cons"Respect for every IBMer" is a corporate value that is not practiced by the executives. Stock price is everything lately, and layoffs are both common and very poorly handled.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget the 2015 EPS target - you're sacrificing the company to that false god.

Voted off the island

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsIBM has great technical projects, amazing engineers, programmers and scientists and the horsepower to make things happen.

ConsIBM has changed from the overly safe, job for lifetime, company before the 90's to a highly competitive employer constantly pruning the perceived bottom 10%. While teamwork is required to complete projects, rewards are focused on individuals. If you are highly skilled, competitive and seek the limelight, go for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the mass layoffs when the company is clearly not in jeopardy. It can be forgiven in the 90's when the company was spiraling out of control. Not now.

Good for most of my career; gradual declination.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsGood work satisfaction; Most all projects worked on complete and are successful.

ConsLack of upper management support for the business that we are in. Support from the first several levels of management is good.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what business you want to be in. Either get on the boat of off it.

IBM provided me with technical knowledge and experience I couldn't have found elsewhere.

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsConstant learning environment and opportunity.

ConsHire unfit personnel for leadership positions. Foster "rating" strategies that determine salaries based upon what other employees earn.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more attention to leadership job candidates. I've been lead by folks who were anxious, self serving and exhibited out-of-control anger issues. Pay people according to their skills and not how they compare to others.

Started out as a fantastic dream - ended up a nighmare

Engineer (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsVery smart creative people which despite distracted upper management are able to contribute and succeed

ConsGone from a company which once considered its people as its most valuable asset to a company which now feels if it could just fire enough of them it could make a profit - or at least satisfy the WS crowd.

Advice to Senior Managementgo back to your core values - you know - the ones you make everyone read and sign each year

Mixed Bag

Advisory Engineer (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsVery flexible work life balance, good vacation benefits and health benefits

ConsManagement is stingy with raises, continuously tries to reduce benefits for longtime employees. Constant fear of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPBC system is terrible, subjective and relative reviews based on arbitrary goals. Should be objectively based.

Don't make employees sign business conduct guidelines you do not follow yourselves.

Not sold on the companies long term strategy (eschewing hardware in favor of services/software, barrier of entry into the other fields is low and others do it much better), cannibalizing the stock for the sake of earnings per share seems stupid as well.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!