IBM

IBM Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 21, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

123 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

unstable

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDiversity. Well known company.
    Reputable. great tools. well respected by customers.

ConsNot very team oriented. Not very stable.

Advice to Senior ManagementInactive Management

Excellent people, management without conscience or a clue

Technical Solutions Architect (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits are very comprehensive, including work-from-home for many positions. Vacation time is decent and overtime is reasonable (it happens, but not excessively). Colleagues tend to be smart, and low-level management (first and second line) tend to be good.

ConsIBM has been working as hard as it can for a decade to destroy its internal talent and expertise. Upper management actively suppresses any contrary views or problems from bubbling up the management chain. US workforce has shrunk breathtakingly, there is no career advancement or even lateral movement, reorganizations are *constant*, and education and development is either non-existant or taken away with the next reorg. Massive outsourcing with no care taken for quality of hires. Then there's the constant selling off of divisions (Global Network, Network Services, Hard Drives, PC's, Intel Servers - and that's just during my tenure). New companies are acquired constantly but never integrated into a cohesive whole, leaving a mishmash of overlapping pieces that do nothing to benefit each other; many ultimately decay into nothing and vanish. Strategy shifts constantly, organizations, products, and offerings rename rather than reform or improve. I honestly doubt there will be anything left of this company within a decade.

On a personal level, compensation is significantly below-market. Bonuses (aka "variable pay"; project bonuses disappeared a decade ago) are consistently below 2% even for top performers (annual rating of 2+). Salary increases are non-existant. My gross pay went up less than 3% total over a period of five years, and 70% of my years there increases trailed inflation (i.e., real income dropped).

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a strategy (other than "boost the stock price") and stick with it. Stop re-organizing and laying off divisions. Focus on letting your very-smart people accomplish great things. All of this will be harder as the company shrinks and loses talent through layoffs and attrition.

It was a great learning experience for a first job out of school.

Technical Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFor the most part, it's truly a collaborative environment.

ConsOpportunities for advancement is difficult, particularly if you do not manage up properly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ibm security services will reach 1 billion this year with a 80% annual growth rate

Security Management Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOutstanding leadership, huge demand in market, ibm investments in security tools, technology, great people and fantastic client base. We cannot hire enough good people! Top mention in last four quarterly earnings reports. This Is Ginnie's chance to take the first new division in 12 years and demonstrate her ability to create a world class business and management consulting organization that will form the core of a transformational practice in ibm driving internal change, creating consultants vs. technicians and focusing on high value management consultanting and delivery services to key industry accounts.

ConsNeed more people with high consulting capabilities and aptitude. The focus is on creating world class consultants who listen to clients, conduct a root cause analysis to separate symptoms from root causes. Strong problem solving consultants that can develop strategy and then rapidly deploy and implement change program that transform and deliver measurable improves in our clients business. Professionals that are consultants first and capable of playing a wide range of projects roles with a high degree of success.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement supports the vision and we are building it now,

Great global footprint, strategic long term thinkers, theme of innovation, somewhat separated from reality

Supply Chain Category Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsRange of opportunities from traditional high tech mfg. and sales, to software, to professional client services

ConsGlut of under performing baby boomers protected by their network and longevity

Advice to Senior ManagementGlobally integrated enterprise is only meaningful when you can explain to a client what the transformation road map really looks like

I was hired as part of an outsourcing

Senior Unix Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsI accepted an offer so that I could continue to support the client that hired me. 98% of my support roll was off shored to another country. Our team was left with very little to support.

ConsNot sure where career was going or could go.

Advice to Senior ManagementCould have worked other accounts but those opportunities did not present themselves.

Professional

Accountant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI have learned the knowledge that I have continue working with others as I continue to share my experience in my new venture

ConsThe 10 years that I was with IBM I felt that there were no cons only knowledge and experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was beyond exceptional and leadership for the management staff. They offer to share their wisdom and experience with their colleagues.

Overall good, direct managers have large impact on experience

Delivery Project Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits are good, lots of online training available

ConsFocus on finances at times over delivery quality and customer satisfaction

Former IBMer

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people who care about their clients. World class technologies that can address most any business or social opportunity/threat.

Conssome in the marketplace view the company as unable to pivot quickly - but they are incorrect

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop your next generation of leaders

Once a great company, now fixated on EPS and executive bonuses

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIBM still has many great skills and talents, particularly in the Research division. The Watson technology certainly proved that point in winning the Jeopardy challenge.

ConsCrushing workloads brought on my constant "do more with less" from execs; no raises for years; managers only looking out for themselves; inability for employees to ever attend conferences to maintain skills; lack of reimbursement for cable line for work at home employees --- such petty expenses that "your father's IBM" would ever have dreamed of.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!