IBM

IBM Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 21, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

123 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

IBM Global Services -

Global Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWorked on some great projects.
    Some nice people
    work from home

ConsMost US jobs going overseas.
    Your HR manager has no leverage. Most of the time you don't even meet your manager face to face and most of the time they have no clue in what you are doing.
    Toxic Environment

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom my experience, management could care less about employees. They care about making numbers and bonus.

If you are motivated and have an ability to quickly acquire new skills, you will succeed - if you can survive the travel

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI had the opportunity to work on international projects, traveling to multiple locations around the world. My level of responsibility grew as I proved my ability to successfully deliver results. I gained experience managing teams and being responsible for project profitability. Co-workers generally intelligent and friendly.

ConsTravel is constant for GBS, so it can be difficult, especially with a family. Sometimes you have to take projects that are not ideal/interesting because of the need for very high utilization (time billable to client).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier to take projects in different sectors - could improve overall utilization and help bring new ideas.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGlobal, top tier consulting company with services, hardware, software and finances for all-inclusive offerings. Wide domains and opportunities.

ConsSize and glass ceiling at band 9. After exceeding the sales figures, its all about "who you know racket" unwritten culture. This is reality in all consulting firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementMachine is too big to change. Once in a while, just weigh merit more than favoritism

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great at meeting clients needs

Financial Sales Executive (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThis company has great capability to provide solutions to their customers with a boat load of smart dedicated people with great expertise.

Conssix month quotas and unrealistic objectives make this a burn out job with limited opportunity for long term career growth.

Not what I thought it would be

IT Analyst (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsAt the time I worked for them, they allowed telecommuting, they no longer do that.

ConsThey have done too much outsourcing and become way to large and are no longer dynamic, trying to get anything done is almost impossible. Trying to get training, any suggestions to the right folks, is just not a possibility. It is unfortunate as this used to be a bleeding edge company and now lives off of its former reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost your edge as a company, you need to retool

Service Mgr consultant for Houshold Goods

Service Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsProfessionalism on the job; fairness

Conslack of timely promotion and salary increase

20+ years at a great company with great people

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat smart people and leaders

ConsGrowing tops down dictates and finance running the company

Advice to Senior Managementempower and delegate more authority at the field level

Nothing special anymore, decent place to build resume.

Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits, Telecommuting, looks great on resume. Depending on business unit, work life balance can be a challenge.

ConsInternal administrative processes appear more important than actual selling or customer face time.
    Layoffs are semi-annual events.

Working at IBM

Global Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAfforded me ability to worked on some exciting projects. Able to get my PMP certification.

ConsNow they only seem to care about bottom line - not employee.
    Too big.
    Employees don't really care anymore as they all think they will be next one to be laid off - in US only as IBM now only hires in other countries - India/Romania, etc. where they can get really cheap labor.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs I told a employee that is still there...get out...it is a toxic environment.

Global Business Services: Safe, but poor reward

Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSafety in Job; consistent long-term projects; Training both classroom, e-learning, and client-site training was excellent

ConsPoor reward for performance. Partners were forced to dust off age-old PWC policies to reward performance and even that was well below par

Travel policies ruined by long time IBM sales teams taking advantage. Travel policies can't compete with flexibility required by clients of a consulting firm. Need to be separated.

HR policies get worse each year. Impressively bad decisions taken on behalf of 420,000 employees and in no way reflect how a consulting firm should be run. Loses a lot of ground against the private firms (i.e., Deloitte)

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsource HR management and travel policy. These are two bloated overhead costs that restrict growth of your business. Assume the need to "be seen to be doing something" each year is the reason they come up with incredibly painful and growth smothering policies that cannot let the firm run at it's potential. Separate out policies for your core hardware/software sales business away from your services businesses. Everyone shouldn't have to suffer because of a few bad apples in your traditional sales depts.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!