IBM Reviews in Chicago, IL

12,012 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,486 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

134 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I was hired as part of an outsourcing

Former Employee - Senior Unix Systems Engineer  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Unix Systems Engineer in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I accepted an offer so that I could continue to support the client that hired me. 98% of my support roll was off shored to another country. Our team was left with very little to support.

Cons

Not sure where career was going or could go.

Could have worked other accounts but those opportunities did not present themselves.

lies lies and excuses when it comes to raises or promotions.

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

stay away. ibm sucks big time. the only good thing is co workers.

Cons

management.
    ibm milks clients dry.
    lies to its employees.

stop being useless and just do what you are told. try to have more control.

Know what you are getting yourself into

Current Employee - Management Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Internal opportunities within company. Work from home on Friday.

Cons

Work is uninteresting and more systems-related than strategy work (i.e. purpose of strategy group is to sell system implementation work).

Be honest to hires on what typical projects will involve.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Is IBM a place to work for?

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM

Pros

It is a paying job to pay the bills.

Cons

Working over 48+ week, have to make up time if you take education or vacation.

Give us good news instead of not telling the truth.

Profit over employees

Former Employee - Customer Support  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

IBM has good medical benefits even though the employees have to pay more out of pocket every year. Pluses were 401K, pension, flex time.

Cons

We were required to use some useless applications because IBM had paid a lot of money for them. Forty hours of education per year were made a requirement which just added to our workload. Morale was extremely low because of an incompetent manager who was allowed to bully his employees for many years. All of the employees in our department were laid off and the work went to another country.

Take care of loyal, hard working employees instead of laying them off and sending the work to other countries. Get rid of managers who bully their employees instead of tolerating their bad behavior.

Your salary is more of a focus to IBM than your skill set.

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are many positions at the company. You can usually work from home.

Cons

If your salary is deemed too large, you will be let go as a result of the bi-annual "resource allocation." Just be prepared that your skills don't matter as much as what IBM is paying you. The business plan for IBM for new business is to bid low on the support contract, support the account with enough skilled staff for a while and then let people go or shift support to cheaper off-shore resources. If the account is not making money for IBM, your salary will determine if you stay or are let go.

Management should treat their resources as humans and necessary to do work, not as a detrimental drag on the amount of money IBM makes on an account.

Job outsourced to Mexico

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working remotely and good benefits

Cons

Being part of Big Blue and being just a number

overworked and under paid

Former Employee - Technical Services Professional  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Services Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

there was a time of good training and team building, not anymore

Cons

there is no care for their people and even less care about their customers. rather save money and drop support people hoping nothing goes wrong.... this company is strictly run by finance which is very short on strategy. no building today to use tomorrow

forget roadmap 2015 because EPS won't keep IBM going in the long run

Excellent people, management without conscience or a clue

Former Employee - Technical Solutions Architect  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are very comprehensive, including work-from-home for many positions. Vacation time is decent and overtime is reasonable (it happens, but not excessively). Colleagues tend to be smart, and low-level management (first and second line) tend to be good.

Cons

IBM has been working as hard as it can for a decade to destroy its internal talent and expertise. Upper management actively suppresses any contrary views or problems from bubbling up the management chain. US workforce has shrunk breathtakingly, there is no career advancement or even lateral movement, reorganizations are *constant*, and education and development is either non-existant or taken away with the next reorg. Massive outsourcing with no care taken for quality of hires. Then there's the constant selling off of divisions (Global Network, Network Services, Hard Drives, PC's, Intel Servers - and that's just during my tenure). New companies are acquired constantly but never integrated into a cohesive whole, leaving a mishmash of overlapping pieces that do nothing to benefit each other; many ultimately decay into nothing and vanish. Strategy shifts constantly, organizations, products, and offerings rename rather than reform or improve. I honestly doubt there will be anything left of this company within a decade.

On a personal level, compensation is significantly below-market. Bonuses (aka "variable pay"; project bonuses disappeared a decade ago) are consistently below 2% even for top performers (annual rating of 2+). Salary increases are non-existant. My gross pay went up less than 3% total over a period of five years, and 70% of my years there increases trailed inflation (i.e., real income dropped).

Come up with a strategy (other than "boost the stock price") and stick with it. Stop re-organizing and laying off divisions. Focus on letting your very-smart people accomplish great things. All of this will be harder as the company shrinks and loses talent through layoffs and attrition.

Once a great company, now fixated on EPS and executive bonuses

Current Employee - Managing Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

IBM still has many great skills and talents, particularly in the Research division. The Watson technology certainly proved that point in winning the Jeopardy challenge.

Cons

Crushing workloads brought on my constant "do more with less" from execs; no raises for years; managers only looking out for themselves; inability for employees to ever attend conferences to maintain skills; lack of reimbursement for cable line for work at home employees --- such petty expenses that "your father's IBM" would ever have dreamed of.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!