IBM Reviews

1. Run, don't walk, from this sinking ship

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and the ability to work from home
    Decent benefits, including generous personal holidays and vacation time
    Intelligent, hard-working colleagues who really care about the work they do and who want to be successful

Cons

Constant reorganizations throw teams and divisions into turmoil every 6-12 months, impacting productivity.

The constant threat of layoffs has driven morale to an all-time low. The annual performance evaluation process is archaic and only forces talented people out of the company. Due to the bell-curve like system, managers are forced to rate a certain percentage of their teams as low performers, even if those people don't deserve that ranking. Now many of those people are losing their jobs. The executives in charge should be subject to the same unfair rating scale as the rank and file.

Salary increases are nonexistent. Only the top performers can quality for annual bonuses, and the pool of top performers shrinks every year because the rating system is flawed, so the bonus remains out of reach for the majority of people, despite successfully taking on more and more responsibility.

There is no opportunity or incentive for external training or continuing education to develop new skills, unless it comes out of your own pocket. Internal training and development consists of webinars, videos, presentations and electronic books.

IBM is late to the game in many new technologies, including Cloud, and this is evident by the consistent loss of revenue and lucrative contracts to new competitors like Amazon. This once innovative company no longer knows what it wants to be and suffers from an identity crisis--ask most people what IBM does, and they simply don't know. Until IBM has a clear plan for the future that involves more than reshuffling employees and changing the names of its business units, its long-term survival is in jeopardy.

Advice to Management

IBM's most valuable asset is its people. They are smart, driven, hard-working and want this company to succeed. Many of us are also shareholders. But until you recognize this and treat employees with respect, rewarding them for their service instead of trying to appease the board of directors and major stockholders, the company will continue to bleed money and talent.

Sweatshop

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brand recognition
    Looks good on your resume

Cons

Absolutely no concern for the wellbeing or career development of the employee
    No career path
    Very top-heavy with non-value-add management layers
    Underbids consulting work consistently to win, then requires extraordinary levels of effort to deliver
    Cost pressures drive management to only look at you as a number. Individuals do not matter.
    Co-workers resign during long-term projects, and leave the team to still try to meet deadlines

Advice to Management

Stop relying on your brand name and improve the fundamentals of how you deliver service. Undue focus on the numbers at the expense of employees is not a short- or long-term strategy to win. It will cost you in reputation.

A heaping pile of steaming ineptness with a large dose of being dysfunctional

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pros are, corporate America is seeing that this rudderless ship is not able to innovate or lead in the technology space. Companies see first hand that IBM is now an accounting company. They rely on revenue streams by playing with accounting plus auditing thousands of their valued customers. They will not grow without leveraging these two tricls

Cons

A reality show called "Lord of the Flies". Upper and Middle management are worthless and are paralyzed by their sheer inability to push back on upper management. Daily cadence calls, asking what time deals are closing is ludicrous but yet, this is a common practice by these crazy accountants (managers). I am interested in seeing what happens come January

Advice to Management

Get your CVs on the street. I see a ton of ugliness on the horizon.

I was hired as part of an outsourcing

Former Employee - Senior Unix Systems Engineer in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Unix Systems Engineer in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I accepted an offer so that I could continue to support the client that hired me. 98% of my support roll was off shored to another country. Our team was left with very little to support.

Cons

Not sure where career was going or could go.

Advice to Management

Could have worked other accounts but those opportunities did not present themselves.

lies lies and excuses when it comes to raises or promotions.

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

stay away. ibm sucks big time. the only good thing is co workers.

Cons

management.
    ibm milks clients dry.
    lies to its employees.

Advice to Management

stop being useless and just do what you are told. try to have more control.

Know what you are getting yourself into

Current Employee - Management Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Internal opportunities within company. Work from home on Friday.

Cons

Work is uninteresting and more systems-related than strategy work (i.e. purpose of strategy group is to sell system implementation work).

Advice to Management

Be honest to hires on what typical projects will involve.

Is IBM a place to work for?

I have been working at IBM

Pros

It is a paying job to pay the bills.

Cons

Working over 48+ week, have to make up time if you take education or vacation.

Advice to Management

Give us good news instead of not telling the truth.

9. SME

Current Employee - SME in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SME in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are Ok ,as well 401k

Cons

A lot off projects

Advice to Management

More education for new technology

10. Not what is used to be - Caution

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well Educated workforce, Most employees work from their home, autonomy, Starting Salary, Opportunity to change departments. Negotiate for your salary upfront during the hiring process as that is when you have the best leverage and power to negotiate. Salary ranges at IBM are huge.

Cons

Low salary increases with several years of no salary increases during my 18 years of employment with an MS degree. Twice I had to take pay cuts to keep my job by moving to a different department, Minimal commitment to continuing education through internal or external education. Little support for external industry certifications which are valued by companies. High Management churn as I had 14 managers in 18 years and only 2 of those managers are still with the company, Benefits have been cut over the years, Stock purchase plan is poor. Many groups compete against one another. Many patents but few new products. The company changed greatly during the 18 years I worked there. Most of the company growth is through acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you would like to be treated. Be committed to educating your employees to keep up with current technology that is valued by industry. Eliminate layers of management that can be as high as 8 to 13 layers. Innovate with new products rather than bragging about patents. Eliminate overlapping products that compete against themselves. Be a trend setter rather than follower - Me to type of company.

11. Similar to Federal Goverment

Current Employee - Brand Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Brand Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to hide if you want to be a slacker just get connected to management to cover for you.

Cons

Have destroyed every acquisition acquired. Endless levels of management hiding behind excel spreadsheets.

Advice to Management

Sell the company off.