IBM

IBM Reviews in China

Updated Jul 19, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

160 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosperfect wages and good working time
    work-life balance for new hire without too much pressure
    I like the working atmosphere there and enjoyed the time there

Conswork is very limited, not good for the comperhensive development for new hire
    many telented people left there because of there is too little opportunity for them to grow

Advice to Senior Managementjust keep going

Became a number driving company

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsFamous brand
    Chance to work with global people who are very talented
    Training system is probably the best

ConsNow, the company lost its vison. The company does have value but it is not unique, therefore has to play with low price. Senior managers cares nothing but numbers. Work life balance now changed to work life integration.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople is your most important asset, not the numbers. You don't fire people just to get a better number to please the wall street.

stressful experience, but learned a lot

Corporate Tax (Former Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

Prosthe company keeps changing, so it is a challenging job, and you could certainly learn a lot through many different projects.

Conshave resource problem, worked overtime and on weekends.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not that bad

Support Specialist (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsI was a developer in a support team, and my major work is developing toy plugin for the customers to fulfill their customized requests. And there are only two developers in my team actually. The best part of working there is you can experience all the process to create a project: design, coding, testing, and deploying.

ConsWhen you work as an one-man-band, and your leader cannot give you any constructive advises, it's time to leave.

Great company with rich knowledge to learn, marked with bureacracy and politics

Managing Consultant (Former Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsWork-life balance, good culture, great co-workers, opportunity to see senior executives, good brand imange

ConsMarket-average salary, cost-control, complicated processes

Big but slow

Advisory Software Engineer (Former Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

ProsBig, stable, lots of opportunity internally.

ConsSlow, too slow, so slow

Advice to Senior Managementbe more straight and generous

Good place for work

Advisory Manager (Current Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

ConsMarket-average salary, cost-control, complicated processes

This is a great company.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Beijing, Beijing (China)

Pros1. Great contributions to the world and people.
    2. A lot of opportunities for young people.
    3. Good work life balance.

Cons1. Company is slow as it is a giant.
    2. A lot of process

Growing fast but not having a good pay

Consultant (Current Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsTremendous opportunities to learn and develop the talent... and the company is such a big name that can help you to move the second step in the IT practice area.

ConsNot good pay at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is good there. Maybe less complicated procedure will be an improvement in my mind.

I love this company

Professional Services Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Chengdu, Sichuan (China)

ProsGreat perks and benefits.Peers can start to become like family when a board is formed.International travel opportunity.Hands on experience with new products or technology.

ConsUnder resourced in IT tools...but the company is investing in this area so that is encouraging.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in IT resources and new technology. People are located in over 100 countries around the world and we need to work together to deliver on the exciting vision.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!