IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(2,898 ratings)

10,000 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits; flexible work hours; work from home (depending on the project);"
    in 1127 reviews
  • "There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up"
    in 1087 reviews
Cons:
  • "Demanding on time -- puts increasing pressure on maintaining work life balance"
    in 337 reviews
  • "Senior management that does not want to hear the truth about their pet ideas"
    in 193 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I was satisfied working here

Global Specialist (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat learning on the job, numerous projects that hit a lot of different industries.

ConsThere is a need to do 25% travel which is the reason I am no longer at with them. Some management can be hard to deal with

Its been good experience so far

Package Solution Consultant (Current Employee)
Trenton, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Work Environment, so far all projects were good and challenging.

ConsNot much Salary Hike, policies and business rules not satisfactory

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to ge some employee satisfaction....

It is important to manage your career at IBM to stay relevant to current corporation needs.

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe strong focus on Watson, Cloud, Social and Data Analytics bodes well for IBM to continue to evolve as the industry leader.

ConsThe work life balance is challenging, and minimal raises/bonuses hurt morale for people who are giving so much to their job.

Good place to begin a career

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIBM is still a leader in many technological fields, and can be an excellent place to build your skills and confidence as a developer. There is also a concentration of raw brainpower in certain parts of the company which would be difficult to find elsewhere - which can be a challenge just to keep up with, but also makes possible undertakings that few companies would dare attempt (much less pull off successfully). So while a job at IBM is not a "career for life" in the way it once was, it certainly can be a good starting point for your career. And once you've been an IBMer you will find you are always an IBMer (and that a lot of the tech world is just now catching up to things that IBM had figured out decades ago).

Also, while the work/life balance sometimes leaves too little room for the "life" side of the equation, most parts of the company are at least very flexible about when and where your work is done.

ConsUpper management lacks any genuine concern for the company culture or quality of its offerings - having turned to ugly financial manipulations to prop up its P/E ratio where once IBM's business and valuation was built on its loyal workerforce, reputation for service, and superior technology.

You will make friends with good people and then have to console them through being victims of arbitrary cuts because the executive "leadership" at IBM seems to need someone (other than themselves, of course) to fall on the sword when there is an earnings miss.

Compensation leaves something to be desired, as do opportunities for advancement when positions are being eliminated ahead of you rather than opening as vacancies that need to be filled. Less than a year after leaving IBM for a startup, I'm earning more than twice what I did at IBM and filling a much broader role than was available to me in my old department.

...that said, the skills (both technological and political) I developed at IBM have been critical to my success since leaving. So it's not a bad deal if you think of it as a wallet-friendly, hands-on alternative to graduate school (and make sure you're putting in enough effort to walk away with both you and the team you worked with feeling there's something to show for the time you spent there).

Advice to Senior ManagementRead Thomas Watson Jr.'s "A Business and Its Beliefs" (I'm sure there's a faded old copy lying around somewhere in Armonk) and stop running counter to everything that once made IBM great.

IBM is struggling to innovate and grow

Associate Partner (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat teams and qualified individuals.

ConsCompany struggling to innovate and grow. Compensates by cost cutting to keep Wall St happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get more inputs from rank and file

Great experience and an old school tech company with some great growth prospects

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM

ProsSmart people who are willing to support you, great work life balance with the opportunity to work from multiple offices, cool projects that will hep drive company growth

ConsThe company is very very big so it seems daunting to make large scale change from the bottom of the pyramid.

Advice to Senior ManagementFail fast and learn.

IT Solutions

Solutions Architect (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM as a contractor

ProsIts great place to work

ConsNothing I can think of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet feed back from employees

Interesting place to work and learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM

ProsWith as many locations that IBM has world wide it is surprising how well groups work together. The infrastructure does support these activities in collaboration

ConsMany times the process gets in the way. one is forced to step on others to standout in order to get a high rating for bonuses

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the ones that are doing the work.

IBM Microelectronics

Advisory Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)
Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTechnology leader. Best equipments. Great knowledge base. Flexible work environment. Focus on innovation. University after your education.

ConsGrowth limited. Not a core part of the company anymore

Growth in the company

Advisory Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Prosthere is constant exposure to new topics, and education available. 40 hours/year dedicated education time.

Conschallenging to move positions across business units. Older products get 'lost' when promotions/bonuses are being doled out.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 10,000 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.