IBM

3.5 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,332 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

10,000 Employee Reviews

engineer

Advisory Engineer (Current Employee) Essex, VT

Prosa lot of talented people. flexiable schedule

Consnot efficient, too many meetins

Advice to Senior Managementless meetings

Learned quite a lot in a short amount of time, very fast pace

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Somers, NY

Prosgood team players, willing to help you out as needed

Consbenefits used to be good, not anymore & they seem to set the standard first for all the others to follow. you are constantly worried about the next layoff.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider following your directs and understanding their pain points, look to help out when needed, don't wait for them to ask, by then it's too late

Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee) Midwest City, OK

ProsExcellent training, instant credibility and expectation of quality from clients

ConsComplicated culture, don't plan on staying for life...find your launching pad

Advice to Senior Managementremember the satisfied employee is the best salesperson you have

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IBM CbD Program

CBD Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsAmazing opportunity for recent college graduates. Ability to learn and expand resume very quickly.

ConsCan entail a great deal of traveling, and at times the company can feel cold.

Senior Consultant

ProsGreat company to launch a career for someone right out of college.

ConsMust be willing to navigate the corporate culture in order to succeed.

pockets of innovation but bureaucratic

Manager Partner Solutions (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe company provides many opportunities in diverse businesses with smart people. The company thrives on interconnected work forces around the US and internationally. So you will be part of larger teams on a regular basis. The company focuses on its customers and has a strong flavor of business ethics.

ConsThere are lots of layers of management for approvals and budgets (not unusual in a very large company). The company really does not develop many cutting edge software products but it does do its best to partner with other companies to offer solid solutions to its customers. Because teams are spread out geographically you have to not mind to be on conference calls on a very regular basis.

S&T Consultant

Consultant (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsLots of opportunities at IBM.

ConsCan be hard to find the right opportunities.

Smart executives, phenomenal technology but ancient processes

Research Staff Member (Former Employee) Ithaca, NY

ProsCollaborative atmosphere, smart people, investment in basic science and research, proactive opportunity creation and advancement for women, phenomenal technologies. highest integrity and ethics. lots of opportunities to move within the company. Watson strategy will propel the company to next level. Top executives (VP level and above) are smart and excellent at what they do.

Consprocesses designed for the last decade prevent company from moving fast enough to compete with new threats. Not-invented-here syndrome. Poor middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire smart people from outside to shake up middle management which likes to stick to processes that give them job security. 20th century was for the "BIG" - economy of scale, business models that rewarded the power of many, recognize that 21st century is the century of "nano" - create nano innovation incubators within IBM

Long Career Once Proud However Now A Toxic Environment NOT Satisfying

Career Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Hopewell Junction, NY

ProsDecent Benefits Flex Work Schedule

ConsFrozen Pay Increase Performance Not Tied to Salary Accuaretly

Big company with unlimited Opportunity

Associate Partner (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWhatever you want to do can be found at IBM. Pay can be good depending on what part of the business you enter. Ability to work at home for most job functions is great for work-life balance.

ConsWith such a big company you can get lost unless you seek opportunities. Bureaucratic much like any big companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify IBM from the inside out, it will resonate with clients.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!