IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,287 ratings)

10,000 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week"
    in 1178 reviews
  • "There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up"
    in 1142 reviews
Cons:
  • "Demanding on time -- puts increasing pressure on maintaining work life balance"
    in 356 reviews
  • "Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management"
    in 198 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

High stress, high pressure, low reward

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
    East Fishkill, NY

ProsGood technology, interesting problems to work on.

ConsRatio of demands to rewards is high. Either minimal or zero raises, minimal bonus at best, no profit sharing. Generally high pressure atmosphere at all levels of management. Typical expectation of being online and available at all hours of the day and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to expect so much out of people at least compensate them fairly.

Used to be a great company but gradually losing its heart

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work, work from home, work life balance. IBM offers a flexible work arrangement that is great if you have a family and your kids are little.

ConsIBM does not pay the market rate. They lay off employees anyhow without any consideration to performance. The only focus is on the bottom line and earnings per share. No training or development of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are your best asset, stop wasting them.

Challenging and overly complicated

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers for the most part, very knowledgeable.

ConsPolitical, utilization is paramount and getting a good performance rating, since IBM culls the lower performers

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunities marred by internal politics.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsGreat technology and great coworkers.

ConsConsistently lied to regarding raise six months after promotion - eventually fired when I got too vocal.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a better eye on Middle Management: don't let them force out the up-and-comers.

Frantic and sometimes unorganized.

ProsLeading edge technology, Large room for growth and movement.

ConsToo many people transitioning that a lot of things are being dropped.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend people to the training they need.

Too big

Project Leader (Former Employee)
    Dublin, OH

ProsOpportunities in various organizations and locations

ConsToo big, too many things going on. Too much duplication, too many rules.

Advice to Senior Managementbreak apart

I've been moved

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsProfessional colleagues who are usually willing to help. Easy to move around US while staying in the same position. A sense of stability, depending which group you are in ( I am in SWG). Salary seems to be competitive no matter of race or sex.

ConsManagement does not provide what is needed to be excellent only enough to get by. Hard to be a top performer without sucking up to management. Very hard to move up without being a consecutive top performer (1).

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff and give us what we need to be successful. If you told a employee they have a good idea help them implement it or at least get it started.

Good Company - Great People - Too many middle managers

Field Sales Support for IBM HW (Current Employee)

Prosgood company, good benefits, working from home, great people to work with

ConsIncreasing workloads to massive layoffs. Too many managers (when I started in 6 levels of managers to CEO now 10+). Muddled messaging about future of IBM HW. Odd bonus structure - too subjective.

Advice to Senior Managementflatten management to get consistent message

Not bad. Not great.

Managing Consultant (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe brand is recognizable on a resume. Health benefits are pretty good. There are tons of different types of positions inside the big blue machine. Exposure to many different technologies. They allow some positions to work remotely which greatly helps with "work life balance".

ConsPay well below market rate. I'm actually below the bottom range glassdoor shows for my position in my city with 8 years of experience. IBM will always try to pay as little as possible. The only real way to get a nice salary increase is to come to IBM with a competing offer and threaten to leave. I've done this twice. The company is a huge, highly inefficient, mess of bureaucracy but comparable to other mega corps I've worked for. There seems to be very little loyalty towards employees which give little incentive for employees to be loyal. They will attempt to lock you into their proprietary systems. If you don't take time to learn industry standards (outside of IBM standards) you risk being stuck with only company specific knowledge. They decided to hold the 401k match for the entire year. If you are fired, part of a lay off, or you leave you lose this match. The company also gets to earn the interest on that match that the employee should be earning.

Advice to Senior ManagementA $20 EPS goal at the risk of employee burn out and just flat out canning entire divisions cannot be sustained. Show some more loyalty to employees, pay them what they are worth, and maybe the will return the favor.

Just Okay

ProsFlexibility of home office, popular products to sell, that's about it

Consno team concept, no culture, to get to leadership, someone must die or quit, or both, no annual salary increase, even for top performers, nitpicking everything that is not germane, a laser like focus on some roadmap/plan that does not help the people, constant attrition

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue; people keep the lights on, and people that know what they are selling sell better. Try to keep your technical people happier.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 10,000 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.