IBM

3.5 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,335 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

10,000 Employee Reviews

Really smart people.

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAccess to great technology and content that allows you to do your job

ConsHuge organization, hard to get recognized. Business units work in silos. Few incentives to cross collaborate.

IBM is a foundry of extraordinary achievements by exceptional individuals.

Information Developer (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWe're a federated set of communication professionals who open up flows of information thru provocative digital experiences and social business enablement.

Consno negative comments worth mentioning

Strong potential for long term career

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

Proswork / life balance, ability to have a long career with many jobs internally

Consremote workforce makes face to face meetings difficult

Advice to Senior Managementleading by example is the key to transforming IBM's culture

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity in abundance.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsTraining is available for every topic you may be interested. Opportunity to expand your skill sets in any career path that may interest you.

ConsWork-life balance can be a little skewed from time to time, but I have discovered that by mentioning my concerns they are typically resolved or alternatives identified to regain that balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more advance planning can be useful to the general rank and file, and allow for advance worker planning.

Smart people; strong technology; good work/life balance

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsI've worked at IBM for the past 15 years in both smaller groups and larger groups, and there are many things to appreciate about IBM. First, you have the luxury of changing jobs often to gain experience in different software and hardware product groups, which is a huge benefit. The processes are very well established and refined often, which many smaller companies find helpful when they hire IBMers.

ConsThe downside is that all the processes tend to take a lot of time away from doing the job they hire you for. IBM knows this and spends a lot of time simplifying the internal processes, but sometimes that's not always doable. Overall, I have high respect for this company, and it's a great place to learn all about IT.

amazing internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbig company, great opportunity to grow individually

Conscouldn't think of any at the moment

IBM is a huge and well-run computer company that grows mostly by acquisition rather than organic internal innovation.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsVery stable and successful company; decent benefits, effective management, solid products, strong software and services businesses. Strong research division, which does most of the internal innovation like the Watson project.

ConsEasy to get lost amid over 400,000 employees and many divisions and product lines. Political infighting between competing organizations can ruin your day. Opportunities for innovative work are limited, as the company innovates mainly by acquiring smaller, more innovation companies, rather than innovating internally (other than in IBM research centers). Hardware business is struggling currently, but that could change.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the push for more professional development for all employees. Consider more employee-friendly gestures like providing coffee, organizing local social events to build a sense of family and shared direction.

Great Company to work for..

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsGood management, team work.Able to learn a lot.Fast paced environment.fun company to work with

ConsTimings..need to be avail 24*7

It was wonderful. The people are really helpful and you get a lot to learn

CIO Intern (Former Employee) Southbury, CT

ProsThe people are really helpful and you get a lot to learn

ConsWork from home was a Con for me as I believe I am more productive when in office

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. Yo guys were great

From start to finish, my internship at IBM was a truly amazing experience.

Intern (Former Employee) Somers, NY

ProsI was able to go from one department to another experiencing different aspects of the company. Aspects that most college-aged kids are unable to obtain. Being immersed in the law department truly gave me opportunity to see what corporate law is like, and what type of law I may want to do in the future.

ConsSince it was my first experience in such a large corporation, I wish that I was given more training. Many things were new to me, and I was unaware of what was being discussed. Though the new information turned out very educational and helpful.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!