IBM

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

132 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Excellent company

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very good work environment, good work life balance. Was able to join a lot of clubs.

Cons

Difficult to progress upwards, unless you are very very good at networking, which I was not.

Should give advice on career progression

Architect at IBM

Current Employee - IT Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to move around, lots of flexibility

Cons

Hard to grow in career.

A great company to Work for to learn and grow

Former Employee - Tape Operator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Tape Operator in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM

Pros

Nice pay and great hours

Cons

Accounts going overseas no account

Great nice employees

Once a Great Place

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relationships with coworkers, and clients. They are flexible with Dr visits and working from home when needed.

Cons

So many to list, no pay raises here, probably won't see any in the next few years either, very few promotions, so if you are looking to move up, this is no longer the place.
    The rating system is outdated, and ratings are not based on actual performance, but are based on your Manager having x number of this rating, x number of that rating, and having to fill rating that were passed down to them. Resource Actions (Layoffs) are every quarter, which detracts from the job and you are more concerned on how not to be laid off than doing your job.
    Management is more interested in pleasing Wall Street than it's employee's. There is also a bit of the good ole boy network, it is who you know, not what you know,

Change the rating system to a more modern one, give pay raises, listen to those in the trenches, don't use lay offs as a motivator, make your Managers accountable for their actions.

Twenty plus years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The people - Most IBMers rank as the "best of the best." Very exciting to encounter and work with the most extraordinary people in the business.
    Depending on division and management chain, projects can be challenging, exciting, with a great deal of relevance to current and future technological impact on business and society.
    A wealth of available online education.

Cons

Unfortunately, in recent years an alarming number of what I believe to be the most dedicated workforce in the world are quite literally dropping dead from causes related to overwork and excessive stress. (My statement is based on personal knowledge - not hearsay.)
    In many areas, work/life balance is nonexistent.
    Personnel review system is a numbers game with no relationship to actual performance. Final decisions are often made by managers who have no personal knowledge of the person under review.
    Raises are all but nonexistent.
    Benefits erode every year.

Reorder priorities - Clients first, employees second, stockholders third.

Sales - good training but they just didn't care

Former Employee - Enterprise Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enterprise Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the training for sales is the best in the business. Strong team and IBM provided adequate time to take the training. Sales compensation was average at best

Cons

lack of support - everything is "on your own" to figure out. You get 5 page emails to set up your phone and no support if it doesn't work. Hopefully you have a friend that can help you out
    Antiquated systems - the forecasting solution is a joke. It's still Excel based, way too complicated, and you spend a great deal of time trying to figure out why numbers don't match
    no teamwork - there is no sense of team. none.
    most of the team is made up of "B" and "C" players just trying to "get by" and find a role where they can "hide" for a year or two

Act like you care about your team. When I was at IBM it was all about numbers and sucking up to the management team that was in charge at the time. It seemed like performance, integrity, and teamwork were lost concepts.

Intern Experience

Current Intern - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Work is challenging and interesting. The mentoring program is very beneficial. I learned a lot from shadowing my mentor. As far as intern compensation goes IBM offers competitive pay.

Cons

No office culture. I can go a whole day without seeing or talking to anyone.
    My manager rarely reaches out to interns, my mentor was more like a manager

Big Blue and lots of Red Tape!

Former Employee - Global Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Global Marketing in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

IBM does allow many people to work from home and this cuts down on the stress of traffic and enhances time with your family. Additionally, your peers are some of the most highly respected professionals in their area and it is easy to learn from them. IBM is a big brand name and that power opens doors into B2B clients and business partners.

Cons

Higher management acts as if there hair is on fire and that you need to put it out! There is actually screaming in some business meetings as we are trying gain a common road. Decisions that are made at one meeting are undone at the next and you never know what decision to follow - makes it hard to "get it right".

Good first time experience but career growth is limited

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good experience,

Cons

Limited career growth due to size and number of employees, subject to layoffs and offshoring

Great Experience

Current Intern - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful training program, caring mentors and management
    Overall and awesome experience and would do it all over again

Cons

So much red tape and bureaucracy, need more women in upper management, need better transparency with employees