IBM

Updated March 2, 2015
2.9

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

156 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Excellent company

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very good work environment, good work life balance. Was able to join a lot of clubs.

Cons

Difficult to progress upwards, unless you are very very good at networking, which I was not.

Should give advice on career progression

Architect at IBM

Current Employee - IT Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to move around, lots of flexibility

Cons

Hard to grow in career.

Used to be a company with great benefits, career growth and a culture of trust but no more.

Current Employee - Second Line Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Second Line Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Opportunity to work in many different job roles; working from home and flexibility

Cons

Lack of awards, health benefits have been reduced significantly, lack of trust and vision; too many layers of management who do not make decisions but are highly paid and rewarded.

Remove the multiple layers of management and focus on spending your hiring dollars on key roles that will help you realize your vision in Cloud, Analytics, Mobile, Security. You have highly paid executives not making decisions but rather adding layers and layers of processes. You want to "getsimple" but you can't even make the simplest of strides in this area due to your management structure.

A great company to Work for to learn and grow

Former Employee - Tape Operator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Tape Operator in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM

Pros

Nice pay and great hours

Cons

Accounts going overseas no account

Great nice employees

Once a Great Place

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relationships with coworkers, and clients. They are flexible with Dr visits and working from home when needed.

Cons

So many to list, no pay raises here, probably won't see any in the next few years either, very few promotions, so if you are looking to move up, this is no longer the place.
    The rating system is outdated, and ratings are not based on actual performance, but are based on your Manager having x number of this rating, x number of that rating, and having to fill rating that were passed down to them. Resource Actions (Layoffs) are every quarter, which detracts from the job and you are more concerned on how not to be laid off than doing your job.
    Management is more interested in pleasing Wall Street than it's employee's. There is also a bit of the good ole boy network, it is who you know, not what you know,

Change the rating system to a more modern one, give pay raises, listen to those in the trenches, don't use lay offs as a motivator, make your Managers accountable for their actions.

Twenty plus years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The people - Most IBMers rank as the "best of the best." Very exciting to encounter and work with the most extraordinary people in the business.
    Depending on division and management chain, projects can be challenging, exciting, with a great deal of relevance to current and future technological impact on business and society.
    A wealth of available online education.

Cons

Unfortunately, in recent years an alarming number of what I believe to be the most dedicated workforce in the world are quite literally dropping dead from causes related to overwork and excessive stress. (My statement is based on personal knowledge - not hearsay.)
    In many areas, work/life balance is nonexistent.
    Personnel review system is a numbers game with no relationship to actual performance. Final decisions are often made by managers who have no personal knowledge of the person under review.
    Raises are all but nonexistent.
    Benefits erode every year.

Reorder priorities - Clients first, employees second, stockholders third.

Network Architect

Former Employee - Network Architect in Glenn Heights, TX
    Former Employee - Network Architect in Glenn Heights, TX

I worked at IBM

Pros

Contract transistion end on the two I particpated in.

Cons

None that I see, I see that I can come in an be asset right away based of job description

Work Life balance

Sales - good training but they just didn't care

Former Employee - Enterprise Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enterprise Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the training for sales is the best in the business. Strong team and IBM provided adequate time to take the training. Sales compensation was average at best

Cons

lack of support - everything is "on your own" to figure out. You get 5 page emails to set up your phone and no support if it doesn't work. Hopefully you have a friend that can help you out
    Antiquated systems - the forecasting solution is a joke. It's still Excel based, way too complicated, and you spend a great deal of time trying to figure out why numbers don't match
    no teamwork - there is no sense of team. none.
    most of the team is made up of "B" and "C" players just trying to "get by" and find a role where they can "hide" for a year or two

Act like you care about your team. When I was at IBM it was all about numbers and sucking up to the management team that was in charge at the time. It seemed like performance, integrity, and teamwork were lost concepts.

Despicable and poor leadership on the United HealthGroup Account

Current Employee - Recruiter in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Frisco, TX

I have been working at IBM

Pros

The peers you work with are great and they will work with you and help you out.
    Benefits are great compared to other companies

Cons

Leadership is not real leadership (none with prior leadership experience)
    Add processes with no consideration to how it effects the business flow
    Once you are on the United HealthGroup Account, you can't ever get off of it
    False promises to multiple employees about potential room for growth with no follow through
    50+ hours of work expected a week on a salaried role
    Unrealistic expectations for any chance at bonus (In a group of 250 individuals only about 4 or 5 people get this in a quarter)

Ensure that all leadership is trained and conducting their leadership accordingly. Do anonymous survey assessments to ensure that they are behaving appropriately.

Intern Experience

Current Intern - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Work is challenging and interesting. The mentoring program is very beneficial. I learned a lot from shadowing my mentor. As far as intern compensation goes IBM offers competitive pay.

Cons

No office culture. I can go a whole day without seeing or talking to anyone.
    My manager rarely reaches out to interns, my mentor was more like a manager