IBM

12,333 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,927 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall positive despite being laid off but retired.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company values are well established and the company size allows a lot of latitude especially in the areas of research and development around new technology. Depending on your work location salaries can be 10% - 20% above the average rates for that location except in some of the biggest metropolitan areas. Almost everyone knows IBM..

Cons

No longer "your father's IBM"...many of the perks and benefits associated with IBM have eroded over the years. Sometimes the bureaucracy can become overwhelming -- the company is not everyone's "cup of tea".

Value your experienced employees -- laying off experienced highly paid employees may be a "band-aid" today but will haunt you iin the future when you don't have that rich experience base to fall back on when things tighten up.

Not enough care for the client

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Stable, decent benefits. Work at home.

Cons

No raises or bonuses in recent years. Headcount reductions due to stock price. I don't feel like they have the client's best interest in mind.

A huge ship slowly sinking

Current Employee - Information Security in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Information Security in Denver, CO

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working from home full-time, work is easy, not stressful. Paid well relative to work and how much experience I have. Very rarely had to work over 40 hours per week and when I did, was paid overtime. Learn what you can and get out!

Cons

I was a contractor so no benefits. Also no raises, training, promotions, etc. Basically I was only there to do my job and fully disposable. The company is like a huge cruise ship that is sinking. Employees rarely get raises and when they do it is peanuts.

Stop focusing on the price of the stock and demands of shareholders and just focus on running the company.

An American Icon

Former Employee - Software Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits
    Tremendous Talent
    Incomparable brand recognition
    Generous comp plan

Cons

Too many layers of management
    Sales prevention at it's worst
    Employees (NOT management) are just numbers
    Lifers get a free ride

Take a look at the failing managers and make changes. There are no issues cutting worker bees, but executives seem to be immune from the swinging axe.

IT Nightmare

Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I no longer work there.

Cons

IBM has the worst management Ive ever seen in my life.

Quit your day job!

Don't need to know much except how the big machine operates

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at IBM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company to have on resume.
    Allows you to work from home, especially as a technical expert - mgmt usually leaves you alone.
    There are some *very* smart people that work at IBM, but there aren't a whole lot of them.

Cons

Very rigid, having rules for everything.
    Expenses are gone through with a fine tooth comb every single time
    Not a whole lot of innovation. Management always *wants* innovation but that's all they do about it. Never give you the tools to innovate.

Corporate America Policies

Former Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Computer Systems Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IBM is a recognized name in the IT industry. When people hear it they listen. Everybody still trying to be IBM from old. It just that the old ways have gone out the window. You will have to climb the ladder quickly and bleed big blue. Big blue is your new family now. It is good paying job for management in America, but most other employees are contractors.

Cons

The company outsource to other countries to protect their earnings. I am not bad mouth other countries but when the bottom line means cutting American jobs to save a buck. They should really think how they are hurt America instead of profit. Which they claim they never make all year then at the end seem to pull out for the shareholders.

Take as you will. We know you bleed blue or you would not have a job. You might want to speak up and hire more Americans not just contractors. I bled blue once too, until my job was outsourced to India. India's employees do not have to pay into our federal government.

Great company! But difficult environment in which to work!

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant - Strategy in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant - Strategy in Denver, CO

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative and on the cutting edge.

Cons

A bit underpaid. Lots of bureaucracy in a 400,000 employee company.

You cannot continue to post record revenue, profits..but then tell employees that the company is doing poorly and not give anyone raises.

A tough business to work for long term

Current Employee - Global Program Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Global Program Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with many areas to move around in. Hiring salaries are somewhat competitive. Working from home really allows people to focus on families.

Cons

It is simply impossible to move your salary yearly at IBM. Even when your a top 10 percent contributor each year, you often max at at 3 percent raises. I have moved 4 levels in 10 years and am an enterprise level manager, and make less then new professional hires. Life at IBM is always travel freezes, and Resource actions. IBM is just not a place you can be a top performer and care about your career long term anymore.

Pay your top people, give them raises, make sure when RA's come, they are based on Performance.

Huge company, expect it to be run like one

Current Employee - Client Technical Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Client Technical Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good product offering and customers usually want to hear from you. Working from home is becoming pretty standard for most jobs.

Cons

This is a huge company and the disconnect between upper management and everyone else is impressive at times. I think I'd have a better chance of seeing the Pope in person than our CEO. Big changes (base pay reductions, org changes) can be pushed down in an arbitrary fashion with sometimes little rationale. Even managers 3 or 4 levels up don't seem to know what is going on at times. Politics is just as important as the quality of your work, so know that going in.

Take the time to meet with employees occasionally. Attend more big customer or internal conferences just so people know you are a real people.