IBM

Updated Jun 18, 2014

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Huge company, expect it to be run like one

Client Technical Specialist (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGood product offering and customers usually want to hear from you. Working from home is becoming pretty standard for most jobs.

ConsThis is a huge company and the disconnect between upper management and everyone else is impressive at times. I think I'd have a better chance of seeing the Pope in person than our CEO. Big changes (base pay reductions, org changes) can be pushed down in an arbitrary fashion with sometimes little rationale. Even managers 3 or 4 levels up don't seem to know what is going on at times. Politics is just as important as the quality of your work, so know that going in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to meet with employees occasionally. Attend more big customer or internal conferences just so people know you are a real people.

Great company! But difficult environment in which to work!

Senior Managing Consultant - Strategy (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsInnovative and on the cutting edge.

ConsA bit underpaid. Lots of bureaucracy in a 400,000 employee company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou cannot continue to post record revenue, profits..but then tell employees that the company is doing poorly and not give anyone raises.

A tough business to work for long term

Global Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsLarge company with many areas to move around in. Hiring salaries are somewhat competitive. Working from home really allows people to focus on families.

ConsIt is simply impossible to move your salary yearly at IBM. Even when your a top 10 percent contributor each year, you often max at at 3 percent raises. I have moved 4 levels in 10 years and am an enterprise level manager, and make less then new professional hires. Life at IBM is always travel freezes, and Resource actions. IBM is just not a place you can be a top performer and care about your career long term anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your top people, give them raises, make sure when RA's come, they are based on Performance.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disaapointing performance for a once-wonderful company

Denver, CO

ProsFlexible work environment, from an hours choice perspective, but many hours are expected. Well known organization that has done many great things in the past.

ConsNot enough focus on the people. Too many inefficiencies in the process, including middle management processes. Cost pressures focus on the consultants, the client-facing people, when a good look at management really should be undertaken.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the people... employees and customers. Yes, financial results are important, but you won't have those if you allow the people to fall by the wayside.

Currently sell portfolio solutions and services in a geographic territory

Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsCompany has good benefits and allows you to easily change job roles if another role interests you. Terrific access to above region experts, SMEs, solution evangelists

ConsCost cutting measures over the years have almost eliminated sales support staff, increasing non-revenue producing activity. Also, severe cuts to technical and services roles delays sellers ability to act quickly in a sales process. Extreme pressure to meet 2015 plan to reach double digit profits has driven down morale across the board. Management layer still too heavy and non-revenue producing. Company needs to keep boots on the street who generate revenue for the company

Advice to Senior ManagementIBM has cut to the bone and if it continues, it will continue to prevent top line growth.

IBM

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsNone; poor salaries; poor work environment; awful morale

Cons7/24 job; no work/life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementFIRE all

Enterprise Architect

Enterprise Architect (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsMentorship is very formalized and IBMers are always willing to help.

ConsConstant turnover causing common gaps across all deals.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to move between business units

Once I was happy...now I am a spreadsheet line item.

Client Relationship Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsLarge company, with a lot of available movement.

ConsAlways day to day on your employment, outsourcing is hitting every job description.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to a more focus on the people attitude or die a slow and painful death.

Company with massive potential may be headed in the wrong direction.

Partner (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsName recognition; Broad range of products and services.

ConsSingular focus on 2015 road map is leading to poor decision-making; Internal challenges to providing multi-tower solutions; Lots of internal "red tape"; Growing culture of self-preservation vs. team work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less money on stock buy-backs and more on hiring delivery expertise; Remove false walls between service lines; Follow your stated values.

If you can work for kudos and ataboys instead of money then the sky's the limit.

Security Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsMost employees are given the opportunity to work at home.
    Work hours are generally flexible which helps with life interruptions.
    The company name looks good on your resume.

ConsSalary stays flat regardless of performance, promotions, or responsibilities.
    Almost impossible to get paid training.
    Benefits cost more each year so with no raises you actually take home less money.
    The company has one goal only and that is earnings per share target.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a reason you've had to resort to cost cutting to make your ridiculous EPS numbers. You can't be one of the top 10 most profitable companies in the world and continue to only recognize the executives. You've taken away any worker incentive. The blue koolaid has run dry. You can pay someone to say in your commercials "I'm proud to be an IBMer" but the reality is for most it's just another job until a better one comes along. Get a clue!

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Denver, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.